Recipe Buildger..."servings only?"

Options
T0M_K
T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
Can you only create your Recipe in a "number of servings" settings? maybe more accurately, my question is that a recipe you build looks like it can only be in serving sizes and not grams...

So say i make a recipe that has multiple servings....well, thats no good, I want to eat the item during the week and weigh my item and record it in grams. How do you do that?

Replies

• Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    You just put the amount of grams your final recipe weighs. I made baked ziti last night and it came out to 3019g and that's the serving size I put into the builder.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    Weigh the entire batch after it is prepared. Set number of servings to total weight in grams, or choose a serving weight size in grams and divide the total weight by that serving size weight to determine number of servings. I usually set casserole-type recipes to 230g serving size which is about 1 US cup. Then I put the information in the name of the recipe.

I use the following format for naming a recipe. Yeah, it may be a little overkill, but I can see all of the information at a glance.

Recipe - [Keywords] [Date] [Total_Weight] [Number_of_Servings] [Weight_per_Serving] [Calories_per_Serving]

Example:

Recipe - Jambalaya, Chicken Chorizo Mussels 2015.10.03 4140g 18Srv 230g 169Cals
  • Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    So, say you made a big pot of chili. Find the number of grams for the whole thing and pick a number of servings. If it's 2000 grams for all of the chili, just decide that it's 10 servings, so you know each serving is 200 grams. If you eat 400 grams of it, call that 2 servings when you eat it. If you eat 300 grams, that's 1.5 servings. The number of grams you eat divided by the number of grams in a serving is your number of servings. Hope that helps!
  • T0M_K
    Options
    Duh..i'm a moron! thanks
  • T0M_K
    Options
    but wouldn't you want to weigh raw..i made a pulled chicken ranch dish for sandwiches. I have always been told to weigh the chicken raw.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Tomk652015 wrote: »
    but wouldn't you want to weigh raw..i made a pulled chicken ranch dish for sandwiches. I have always been told to weigh the chicken raw.

Once you have the Recipe for the pulled chicken dish, when you log it to a meal, you can change the portion size within the meal.

For single meals where the portion will change each time, such as sandwiches or protein smoothies, it is easier to log it first in the Diary in an empty meal slot. Once done, use quick tools to save it as a My Meal. Next time, log the My Meal, then modify the quantities of items used.

https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/en/portal/articles/162346-how-do-i-create-and-log-remembered-meals-

https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/en/portal/articles/363730-how-do-i-edit-or-delete-remembered-meals-
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    Duh..i'm a moron! thanks

Pretty much
  • T0M_K
    Options
    Duh..i'm a moron! thanks

Pretty much

I can always count on you
  • tanktopsandflipflops
    Options
    likewise. I add the whole thing then pick 1/5 serving size. (I divide my meals into 5 servings for work days)