Skinny girl, stomach is getting flabby. Help.

Options
Hey guys, I'm 5'2, I weigh 105 pounds and I'm 23 years old. Overall, I have a nice shape already but I would like to tone and define my arms, my legs and my stomach. I have noticed that when I gain weight, the fat goes to my stomach. I have a gym membership, but I never go because I'm not sure about how to lift weights, what protein I should be taking etc. I am also unsure of what to eat. Someone please help me!!!! I want to be cute lol

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Look up the recomp threads. This is basically eating at maintenance whilst following a lifting program to slowly (very) gain muscle whilst losing fat. Your weight shouldn't change much...

You don't need to use protein supplements, it is easy to get enough from food. If you struggle, or course using a supplement is fine! You need to eat food to meet whatever calorie goal you have. Eating sufficient protein and fat is good for health, but after that, fill your calories how you like (I would also make sure to get enough fibre) - meal timing, frequency, size etc is personal and not really something to worry about. Do what makes you feel good
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Get on a lifting program that fits your goals. There are many beginner programs, even ones that start with either body weight or dumbbells. The above list is really good at identifying them.

You will be fine with 80-100g of protein.. from a variety of sources. But you should either eat at maintenance or in a surplus for a few months to gain some muscle and then cut back down.
  • joelartygreenwood
    joelartygreenwood Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    For learning how to lift weights (that sounds silly but it's not) I'd start with this 6 step primer:

http://www.mi40nation.com/free-articles/6-essentials-of-exercise-success/

By focusing on the target muscle, you'll feel the muscle more as you lift so you can spend less time in the gym.
  • JasonRainboze
    JasonRainboze Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you should just try to go..... don't worry too much about what yet. Just walk into the gym... sit down on a machine and look a the picture. It sill show you what muscle it works. Then go to the front desk and tell them in general what you want to do and ask them to point you to a machine. It seems basic... but just repeat this 3-5 days a week and you will find your way..... trust me, its not as scary as it seems. Hope that helps!
  • angelsultann
    angelsultann Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your comments. I will definitely try to implement your suggestions into my journey. If I have any questions I'll be back! Thanks :)