Losing Weight in your 40s

Options
Hello,
I have on and off struggled with keeping my weight down all my life. The heaviest I have ever been is around 242 and I managed to get down as low as 175. In the last few years I was able to stay around 200, but in the last year I have gone up to about 215. I am eating just my calories every day but the weight seems to be sticking and not losing as fast as I would when I was younger. I have added cardio and weight training over the last few weeks and do a lot of walking. I am hoping I start to drop some pounds soon. I am also focused on sleeping more at night.

Any other ideas why the pounds aren't dropping as fast as they used to?
Dave

Replies

• melanie_005
    melanie_005 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Hi Dave
    I feel for you once I got in my 40s I also found it difficult with trying to lose weight. I'm struggling with that right now. If you want add me as a friend and we can help motivate one another
  • DaveMustGetFit
    DaveMustGetFit Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanks but I don't know how to add - feel free to add me though
  • DaveMustGetFit
    DaveMustGetFit Posts: 43 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I am determined to not give in this time after hundreds of false starts
  • Numericmama373
    Numericmama373 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I've just restarted again. I'm in my 40s. It seems like I bloat more and I can tell my metabolism has dropped.

My husband is naturally lean and lifts weights. He is finding it harder to keep muscle mass.
  • ripkaboyz
    ripkaboyz Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Between my belly increasing after one morning coffee and working out/eating right and looking like I netflix it's my job. Not sure what I can do to get a jump on my weight loss goals. Can I even do what might be needed to reach my goal?
  • janusz072598
    janusz072598 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    check your thyroid and testosterone levels
  • Mrjd40
    Mrjd40 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Happy to add anyone
  • Numericmama373
    Numericmama373 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    What is in your coffee?
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I have on and off struggled with keeping my weight down all my life. The heaviest I have ever been is around 242 and I managed to get down as low as 175. In the last few years I was able to stay around 200, but in the last year I have gone up to about 215. I am eating just my calories every day but the weight seems to be sticking and not losing as fast as I would when I was younger. I have added cardio and weight training over the last few weeks and do a lot of walking. I am hoping I start to drop some pounds soon. I am also focused on sleeping more at night.

Any other ideas why the pounds aren't dropping as fast as they used to?
    Dave

You didn't say if you were logging your food accurately and staying in a calorie deficit? Are you using a scale to weigh your food? Are you eating things that you aren't logging? Exercise is moot. I believe it's necessary for long term success, but it's not required for weight loss. Regular exercise will also make you hungrier, at least it does me. My metabolism speeds up and when it does I could eat a ton of food if I didn't watch what I was doing. Be accurate with your logging, stay in a deficit, and you should loose weight, it's pretty much that simple. If you aren't losing the weight after a couple of weeks then you aren't eating in a deficit like you think you are either from over-estimating your exercise calories, or by not accurately logging your food.
  • greeneyedmary
    greeneyedmary Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Definitely think it's harder in the 40's. I know I personally struggle. I'll be 44 in July.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Definitely think it's harder in the 40's. I know I personally struggle. I'll be 44 in July.

It is likely harder, especially if you have not led an active lifestyle. I started this journey to weight loss and fitness when I was 45. I'm 47 now and still going strong but can definitely tell this would have been much easier when I was younger. My suggestion.. start now, it only gets tougher.
  • Derf_Smeggle
    Derf_Smeggle Posts: 610 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I'm 41 with 42 right around the corner. Since January 2nd my weight has dropped from 228.6 to 203.2 this morning.

The road that works for me is:
    1. Food scale.
    2. 5-6 meals/day. Play around with this.
    3. Food scale!
    4. USDA nutrient database (checking my entries).
    5. Food scale!!
    6. MFP, logging everything.
    7. I'm a fan of high protein breakfast.
    8. Did I mention "food scale"?

I do batch cooking 2 times a week so I've got easy access to ready made meals. I'm on the road 4 times a week, so it takes some planning on my part. I use the MFP recipe builder like mad. Since the weather has been warmer I've reintroduced cycling into my regimen.

My diary is open, so you can see what I've been doing (might have to view it from desktop, if on Android because its is being funky).

Find what works for you. Remember gradual is better than fast. Eating the right way for you doesn't mean you have to be miserable.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    I'm 42...the only aspect that I find harder is that when I was younger I didn't sit at a desk all day and now I do which means I have to be that much more vigilant with my diet and make sure I'm exercising regularly.

When I was younger I could drop weight by just cutting back on my sodas or whatever...but I was pretty active in my 20s and I worked jobs that kept me on my feet most of the time and did a lot of landscape construction.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    45. I haven't really noticed a difference this outing, as opposed to my attempts in my teens, 20s, or 30s, except that each time I stopped losing, it was before goal and I didn't try to maintain, I just reverted to my old ways of eating and gained back more each time. However, once I made my decision to get down to a healthy weight about eight months ago, I haven't noticed any slowdown to the loss.

Something to consider, though: I think I'm exercising a lot more this time than I have in the past and that might be compensating for any metabolic slowdown.
  • pkeiter42
    pkeiter42 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I started losing when I was 45. two years later I've lost ~70 pounds and wouldn't mind losing more. I'm also ~200 pounds right now, which is a weight I've always seemed to over around in my life, even when I have been at my most active.

I've learned that a food scale and logging the calories is my biggest helper. I need to see the numbers.

People can feel free to add me as a friend. I'd like to get to 190 if I can. It may be slow, but I'm up for the challenge.
  • bstewart1973
    bstewart1973 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Following... I'm definately in the same boat. Used to be able to do low carb and lose a ton of weight. Not so much anymore.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I'm 42...the only aspect that I find harder is that when I was younger I didn't sit at a desk all day and now I do which means I have to be that much more vigilant with my diet and make sure I'm exercising regularly.

When I was younger I could drop weight by just cutting back on my sodas or whatever...but I was pretty active in my 20s and I worked jobs that kept me on my feet most of the time and did a lot of landscape construction.

Amen!
    Just means more diligence is needed.
    I'm 47. Been through a couple bulk/cut cycles too.

• noclady1995
    noclady1995 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. After I turned 40 weight just doesn't come off as fast as it did when I was in my 30's. I used to be able to drop 10 lbs in 2 weeks and keep it off until I had some big event, like a week-long cruise where I eat whatever. But I find that when I tweak my diet a little for a short time, it can help break plateaus. For example, I might try to cut dairy for a little. Or maybe try intermittent fasting every 2-3 days. Sometimes even scaling back on exercise and eating a little more for a couple of days, and then going back helps me.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    46 and it's not harder. It's a matter of priorities shifting. Significant others, kids, work responsibilities....life. Unlimited demand and unfortunately a limited supply of time.

There is no such thing as age related decreasing metabolism, this is loss of muscle mass as the majority tend to lead a more sedentary lifestyle as we age.

Your caloric intake (CI) is the primary driver to this. Caloric output (CO) is usually secondary. However you do this just make sure your CI<CO.
  • TriciaTACO48
    TriciaTACO48 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm 48 and trying to lose 20-25. Its harder in our 40s. Gained some weight since last year and after the second grand baby arrived. More time at home sitting with them and feeding them (and myself!)....and just a very long winter in the house! Trying to get back on track and healthy again. Its not easy and is part of everything I do from when I get up until I go to sleep. These trackers help so much...especially food intake. It just makes me note aware if what I'm eating. My weaknesses are bread and fries (yum!)....And a couple of glasses of white wine. I haven't had fries in 4 weeks!! Omg! Its really been that ling??!!? I would have them all the time before. I had outback bread woth honey butter last night...not my fault, really..lol...its too fresh and good to push away from in front of me. I couldn't do it. But I logged it and then ate a salod and steamed broccoli instead of steak and fries. Dont give up! You will do it! Lots of support on here. I use google fit and this one. Helps a lot :):):)