Options
2»

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,122 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    elphie754 wrote: »
    No. Meal timing and what time you eat certain foods has nothing to do with weight loss.

It can have effects on satiation and thus on compliance though. If this works so the OP feels she has more energy, which was her point, no reason not to eat that way. I personally don't usually eat until late in the afternoon because any food in the morning will often make me feel sluggish.

No reason not to eat that way, but the advice itself is goofy. The reasons for something are important, and this kind of thing is why people insist on MFP that others must eat cereal for lunch in order to lose or some such mangling. That cereal for breakfast (even if eaten with protein and fat) will inherently "bog you down" and should be avoided by anyone trying to lose or be healthy. They see it as some kind of weird universal rule that cereal is good for lunch, not breakfast, rather than understanding that maybe the issue was for them, personally, it's better, or, likely, that they were getting nothing but quick carbs for breakfast and cereal as a side at lunch (with other foods) would work better, for them.

Doctors really should be able to manage a better explanation. I judge.

I agree with you that the explanation why is completely stupid, but it is just another example that doctors don't really know anything about nutrition.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Experiment - eat cereal for breakfast for a week, and then eat eggs for breakfast for a week and see how you feel. Ultimately its your body and you can fuel it as you like. Or not. I dont eat breakfast and I dont feel either sluggish or energized - I just AM.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    She told me not to eat cereal for breakfast, but have it for lunch instead. First meal should be protein, eggs for example. Cereal first thing in the morning bogs the system down and makes it feel sluggish. I found that since I did what she suggested, I have more energy.

nope, get a new dr or just stop asking dr's for nutritional advice..
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I eat cereal in the morning every single day because it's what I crave. I eat Cheerios so low-sugar w/ a banana cut up on it. I do eat a hardboiled egg around 9:15 for some protein. I have no issues w/ lack of energy or feeling hungry.
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I prefer eggs for breakfast and I'm not a fan of cereal at any time of day. But I wouldn't take nutrition advice from a doctor. They don't have any training in that.
  • PhylinAZ
    PhylinAZ Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I don't eat cereal or pancakes w/ syrup. The carbs, sugar hit my blood stream quickly and make me sleepy. An hour later, I'm hungry.

My usual breakfast is greek style yogurt, with two tbsp of pecans, a slice of wheat toast with a schmear of butter and a half cup of fresh fruit.