How do you accurately measure beans?

Options
So I have a can of simple truth kidney beans and the serving size is 130 grams for 110 calories but the can also contains water with the beans so does the water account for the weight as well? Or would it be more accurate to drain the water out and then weight the beans to get 130 grams? I tried it both ways and got a different amount of beans for both tries so I'm not sure which is the most accurate way?

Replies

• ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Drained. That's how you'd use them in a dish.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Drain them. Weigh them. Log the weight.
  • suryoyo85
    suryoyo85 Posts: 55 Member
    Options

Exactly !
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I drain them, but the nutrition information doesn't specify 'drained' so I'm not sure it's actually accurate.
  • bethany_rose8
    bethany_rose8 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I measure using cups after draining for that reason
  • bethany_rose8
    bethany_rose8 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Or use half a can for example and log that
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,123 Member
    Options
    It would be the weight drained. At worse the difference would be quite small, far less than the natural variations from bean to bean due to different growing conditions.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Drain them - you dont consume the water. The instructions for every recipe I have seen using beans is to drain them first. Even if you DO consume the liquid, its water, so no additionally calories but will affect the weight of a serving so you would get fewer beans with the liquid than if you drain them.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

^ This.