At a loss

Options
So I was diagnosed with a connective tissue disorder. I was told NOTHING that its stress on my joints. No lifting, no running, no yoga (because it promotes the joints to be even more loose) dr said I can swim however I live in a area where it is to cold to swim over half the year and there are no public indoor pools. I love swimming and is one of the few things that does not cause pain. But there is no where to do it besides the warm months and even then the water is very cold. -_-

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Is that a permanent order to stop all activity that stresses joints? Are there any support groups that you can contact or look into online that might have suggestions about the types of activity that you can pursue?
  • raquele3394
    raquele3394 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Omg where are you from? There are no YMCA's that you can go to? Do you have a friend with a pool and you can pay monthly to use their pool like a gym.
  • gypsyrose85
    gypsyrose85 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Is that a permanent order to stop all activity that stresses joints? Are there any support groups that you can contact or look into online that might have suggestions about the types of activity that you can pursue?

Yes it is a life long condition. I have a lot of pain in my joints and now found out is because my connective tissue is not right. I am part of a group and they say the same thing
  • gypsyrose85
    Options
    Omg where are you from? There are no YMCA's that you can go to? Do you have a friend with a pool and you can pay monthly to use their pool like a gym.

No YMCA. I live in New Hampshire. The closest YMCA is over 50 miles away. Unfortunately no friends with pools they all swim in the river.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,694 Member
    Options
    Can you ride a bike? That shouldn't put too much stress on the joints.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    bellydance - no impact, fun, and still exercise
  • mca90guitar
    mca90guitar Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    You don't have a local highschool? Usually they have one and have open to the public hrs. Mine is like a buck or two to use
  • laha5822
    laha5822 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Pilates... There is core work you can do that doesn't stress your joints! Best of luck to you, I hope you find something you can do soon!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Walking? Leslie Sansone videos if walking is ok, or get outside!
  • gypsyrose85
    Options
    You don't have a local highschool? Usually they have one and have open to the public hrs. Mine is like a buck or two to use

Yes we have a high school but around here high schools don't have pools
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Yeah, ours doesn't have a pool. Actually, none of the high schools I've ever been to had pools. There is a community college with a pool that has public hours for reasonable rates, but it is about 30 miles from me. Can you do elliptical?
  • jenmarrs429
    jenmarrs429 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I am in NH also. I swim at a gym, but that can be expensive. There is a financial aid program there though.
    Sorry about your diagnosis/restrictions/pain. That is a bummer.
  • raquele3394
    raquele3394 Posts: 180 Member
    Options

No YMCA. I live in New Hampshire. The closest YMCA is over 50 miles away. Unfortunately no friends with pools they all swim in the river.
    I live in Haverhill MA very close to NH border line!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Cycling tends to strengthen the knees.
  • cheriej2042
    cheriej2042 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Pilates and how about indoor stationary bike like Peleton or even recumbent bike
  • gypsyrose85
    Options
    Pilates and how about indoor stationary bike like Peleton or even recumbent bike

Bikes hurt my knees and we are not diodes to do anything that increases flexibility :(
  • gypsyrose85
    Options
    Cycling tends to strengthen the knees.

I have tried biking and ended with extreme pain in my knees. Due to EDS-ht my knees and ankles give out often.
  • gypsyrose85
    Options
    I am in NH also. I swim at a gym, but that can be expensive. There is a financial aid program there though.
    Sorry about your diagnosis/restrictions/pain. That is a bummer.

No gyms with pools around :(
  • gypsyrose85
    Options
    Yeah, ours doesn't have a pool. Actually, none of the high schools I've ever been to had pools. There is a community college with a pool that has public hours for reasonable rates, but it is about 30 miles from me. Can you do elliptical?

I tried and it affected my knees. I had it dislocate Twice.
  • gypsyrose85
    Options
    Walking? Leslie Sansone videos if walking is ok, or get outside!

I walk as much as I can but if my knees start flaring up I stop.