I just need a little help...

Options
I have dug myself into a little hole. So many days and nights I vow this is the last day I will eat "bad."
Then I grab my coffee, make my kids something to eat, steal a few bites of a bagel or whatever else they are having and my healthy commitment is forgotten and I vow yet again tomorrow will be a better day.
I don't do it intentionally it's just that I seem to forget in the moment that I want to be healthy and feel good. All it takes for me is one little bite of something and my mind says the hell with it all and days go by before I feel bad, promise to commit and the cycle continues.
Anyway, I know what I need to do, I just can't seem to do it.
Am I crazy? Sometimes it feels that way, lol. I'm not the only one that just sort of "forgets" am I?

Replies

• Bluebell2325
    Bluebell2325 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    No suggestions, just letting you know you're not alone. Thankfully (and I don't know how old your kids are) as kids get older they need less constant attention, and there comes a day when you can actually have a *kitten* in peace and everything comes together and you get life back on track. My two are old enough now to be involved in food choices and kitchen type jobs and things are much less of a struggle to keep your head above water. Stick at it, I'm sure you're doing great, we are our own worst critic. Mx
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Don't let a bagel derail you. Why do you feel a bagel is so unhealthy? Alot of the successful people I have seen on here have learned to let go of the "good food" "bad food" thought process and think about their diet as a whole. Try to get your fruits and veggies in and eat well most of the time, and let yourself live a little bit the rest of the time. We all gotta live a little bit, no one can be perfect all the time. Striving for perfection will always lead to failure.
  • enhayworth
    enhayworth Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am just now (after 4 years) trying to get back into good habits so not an expert. I agree with 4legs, why is a few bites of a bagel "bad". Tonight when you are feeling motivated again, make a plan! Are the kids having bagels tomorrow? Ok, plan that you will have half a bagel and use peanut butter instead of cream cheese, throw in some fruit if you want. The part that really helped me was going ahead and logging it for the next day. Planning and logging my breakfast the night before allowed me to not have to make any decision 1st thing in the morning. It allowed me to not have to worry about logging anything during crazy morning hours. Lastly it helped me start breaking up my total daily calories into meals for the rest of the day.

I am a planner. I like to know that tomorrow morning my breakfast is going to be ### calories, leaving me with #### calories for lunch, snack, and dinner. Having a written down plan is really helpful.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Drop the idea of "good food" and "bad food". Eat food. Weight loss/maintaining/gaining is all about calories. Log what you eat for a week or so and go on from there.

I personally eat a nutritious diet but include my favourite snacks and treats.

Eat for both health and enjoyment. Eat the damn bagel (but weigh and log it!).
  • NewYearNewMe140
    NewYearNewMe140 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I did this for many years. It's only been the last couple of months that I have been able to not feel guilty about taking some time to grab something healthy for myself and not just what everyone else is having. It's hard when you're busy and frazzled, but it is so worth it. Try to make sure you have plenty of small healthy things you can just grab. Mini hummus with pretzels or pre-chopped veggies (grocery sells them in bags), string cheese and an apple, etc... I might quickly heat up a couple veggie sausages (only takes one min in the microwave). Just throwin' some ideas out there :-)
  • EmPersson
    EmPersson Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Firstly, I agree that there is no good food or bad food. There's better food than others for you, but none of it is poison, when consumed mindfully. And THAT'S the trick, which I think is the trouble for you - remembering to whip out that phone before you take a bite, and entering in the calories. I suggest having something new in your life that will help you to remember. Maybe buy a new ring and wear it on a finger you don't typically wear it on. When I'm at home, I wear a fanny pack to keep my phone on me because I'm usually in yoga pants or whatever without pockets - that's a heck of a reminder. Once you're logging regularly and accurately, you'll naturally start to think, "Maybe I'll just have half the bagel this morning." Or, "Maybe I'll skip the bagel this morning and grab a banana after fixing the breakfast for the kids." The healthier, more nutrient dense food choices will become more natural when you start to realize what you're eating, and how much. :-)