Consuming 80% of your calories an hour before bed.

Options
I eat mostly healthy foods, and snack throughout the whole day. Then, after the kids are down I make myself a legit dinner and have a beer or two. It works out that I'm eating about 20% of my calories throughout the day, then really enjoying a big, healthy-ish meal pretty late. Does it matter? When I eat more during the day, it doesn't seem to impact (reduce) my appetite at night, and a few times I went over my calories because I didn't leave enough for my late big dinner.

Thoughts?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    No, I eat most of my calories at night and I did that the entire time I was losing weight. Between dinner and drinks, it's not uncommon for me to have 1,000-1,100 calories between 6 and 9 PM and still hit my calorie goal for the day. I'm like you -- a big breakfast or lunch doesn't stop me from wanting that big dinner experience (and since it's the only meal my husband and I eat together, there is a social component to cooking and eating well at night that I don't want to give up).

The best meal timing is the one that fits your lifestyle and helps you hit your calorie goal. It sounds like you may have found yours!
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Meal timing doesn't matter a jot. If this is what works for you, carry on :)

For the vast majority this is the case. When people get to low bodyfat levels, there are some benefits to nutrient timing.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I lost weight and have kept it off for over a year eating just as you described (minus the part about putting kids to bed as mine are grown and gone).
  • laura7161
    laura7161 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone!
  • tattygun
    tattygun Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Well I don't get back from the gym until 10.30pm, so I'm eating my biggest meal around 11pm, go to bed at 12pm, never done me any harm. In fact I think having my system full of nutrients while I sleep may well be a good thing.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Not at all. The more fit I get the more I see my calories drifting to the evening meal. I have a light breakfast and lunch and maybe a snack somewhere in between, but I workout times are in the afternoon/early evenings and I don't want a belly full of food sloshing around when I running around and lifting heavy stuff.

• Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I agree that you don't need to worry about meal timing as a regular person just trying to get to a healthy weight, but while incorperating a couple beers with your meal each night, it might have a slightly bigger effect on the effeciency of your weightloss, not to say you wont lose weight, but it may slow your progress down had you done it differently.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    To each his own. Often times, I save my calories for a treat before bed (usually strawberries and grapes with a little Redi-Whip LOL) but I try to split the rest up throughout the day in little increments. Some people opt for fasting. For me, if I fasted and only at 20% of my full day's worth of calories throughout the day and saved the rest for night, I would be starving and end up stuffing my face. Meal timing isn't really relevant (unless you're doing bodybuilding) - it's just about calories in vs. calories out. So you do you girl!
  • laura7161
    laura7161 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    rdridi12 wrote: »
    I agree that you don't need to worry about meal timing as a regular person just trying to get to a healthy weight, but while incorperating a couple beers with your meal each night, it might have a slightly bigger effect on the effeciency of your weightloss, not to say you wont lose weight, but it may slow your progress down had you done it differently.

Could you elaborate? Does alcohol effect efficiency? Like does it effect my matabolism? Does time of day matter? Like, if I had those same beers earlier or separate from my meal, would that matter? Does the type of drink matter? Like is a cocktail better than beer? Thanks for the info!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    laura7161 wrote: »

Could you elaborate? Does alcohol effect efficiency? Like does it effect my matabolism? Does time of day matter? Like, if I had those same beers earlier or separate from my meal, would that matter? Does the type of drink matter? Like is a cocktail better than beer? Thanks for the info!

When you have alcohol in your system, all other metabolic functions are on hold while you metabolize the alcohol...meaning you aren't burning fat or utilizing energy from the food you're consuming at that specific time. Beer is kind of a double whammy because it has alcohol sugars that must be immediately metabolized as well as other carbs/sugars...those other carbs/sugars would just be stored and put on hold.

When I'm cutting I typically stick to booze and a diet mixer...booze is all sugar alcohol so there's nothing additional to store when I'm drinking it...also because it's less calories than the kinds of beers I would typically drink, so much easier to work in.

That said, in the end if you're accounting for the calories, the difference should be pretty negligible though somewhat more efficient without the alcohol.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I am not discounting the science on how our body metabolizes alcohol, I think it is probably a significant factor for people who are trying to get to very low body fat levels (like competition-levels). I will just share my experience that it didn't seem to be a factor for me. I drank most nights when I was losing weight - a variety of drinks, mostly wine, beer, and liquor straight or with diet mixers. My experience is that as long as I was in a deficit, I lost weight. Did I lose it as quickly as I would have otherwise? I have no idea, but I was satisfied with my rate of loss.

• The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

When you have alcohol in your system, all other metabolic functions are on hold while you metabolize the alcohol...meaning you aren't burning fat or utilizing energy from the food you're consuming at that specific time. Beer is kind of a double whammy because it has alcohol sugars that must be immediately metabolized as well as other carbs/sugars...those other carbs/sugars would just be stored and put on hold.

When I'm cutting I typically stick to booze and a diet mixer...booze is all sugar alcohol so there's nothing additional to store when I'm drinking it...also because it's less calories than the kinds of beers I would typically drink, so much easier to work in.

That said, in the end if you're accounting for the calories, the difference should be pretty negligible though somewhat more efficient without the alcohol.

Source for the first statement? I've heard this before, but I have never seen where this comes from. Just going by alcohol metabolism rates, and some common sense, this seems unlikely to impossible. At my weight (150 lbs), 3 shots of 80 proof liquor at 291 calories would take 5-6 hours to metabolize. My sedentary TDEE is ~100 cal/hour. I still need to metabolize 300 calories from other sources (fats/carbs/proteins) to make up the difference.

In addition, so what if alcohol is burned first? Carbs in the form of glycogen are burned preferentially during hard aerobic exercise, but this doesn't affect body fat loss (hence the misconception of the "fat burning zone" and low intensity exercise being preferable for losing weight). This misses the forest from the trees.

There is no such thing as alcohol sugars... There are "sugar alcohols" in the form of low calorie sweeteners, but that has nothing to do with what's in booze. Alcoholic drinks contain alcohol, and sometimes carbs/sugars depending on what you're drinking.

If alcohol has anything to do with weight loss, it's probably more to do with the other decisions that get made when you are drinking alcohol...
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    While it wouldn't directly impact weight loss, for a lot of people that amount of digestion may negatively affect sleep. If I ate a meal that large that close to bedtime, I would probably toss and turn for a long time.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    While it wouldn't directly impact weight loss, for a lot of people that amount of digestion may negatively affect sleep. If I ate a meal that large that close to bedtime, I would probably toss and turn for a long time.

Same. Also why I don't drink coffee in the afternoon, it impact MY sleep. But that's a personal thing, so if it doesn't impact sleep, no reason to not eat that late.
  • BanksyTime
    BanksyTime Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I also tend to consume more of my calories in the evenings. So far it seems to work out pretty well, but I'm trying to get a little more flexible about meal timing.
  • SiegfriedXXL
    SiegfriedXXL Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I used to do this and then wondered why I had so many insomniac nights. Now if I eat before 6pm, I sleep like a baby. And yes, I tried just cutting the caffiene before 6pm first but it didn't matter. If I eat food before I go to bed, I lie awake listening to my body digesting it and my mind using the added fuel to race along on ridiculous tangents. :D
  • MoreSteakLessSpice
    MoreSteakLessSpice Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Nope. In fact I practice this myself. I don't really enjoy any other form of eating. As long as you're in a calorie deficit you're good.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I log mine in 3 meals but I only have a 280 calorie lunch and then 5pm+ I eat the other 1300. Makes zero difference.