Is Diet Coke really that bad? Anyone feel better after quiting?

Options

Replies

• JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    CatchMom13 wrote: »
    I will start by saying that I am a diet soda drinker, but I am also a dental hygienist. The acidity of diet (and regular) soda puts you at a higher risk of cavities. If you sip on one can of soda for awhile or if you drink more than one throughout the day it can have devastating effects on your teeth. Keep in mind it is not the amount you drink, it is the amount of time your teeth are exposed to it. So drink it fast and rinse out with water when you are done!

What if someone used a straw to drink it? I see this a lot with coffee drinks - people using a straw to avoid staining their teeth.

I'm a ridiculous person, but I like to avoid using straws because of the minute possibility that it might increase the wrinkling of the skin around my mouth.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    In terms of taste, yes Diet Coke is that bad. But I drink a couple cans of Diet Dr Pepper daily and have no issues. I don't drink coffee or tea, so I'll stick with it.
  • jennifer13311
    jennifer13311 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I will start by saying that I am a diet soda drinker, but I am also a dental hygienist. The acidity of diet (and regular) soda puts you at a higher risk of cavities. If you sip on one can of soda for awhile or if you drink more than one throughout the day it can have devastating effects on your teeth. Keep in mind it is not the amount you drink, it is the amount of time your teeth are exposed to it. So drink it fast and rinse out with water when you are done!

What if someone used a straw to drink it? I see this a lot with coffee drinks - people using a straw to avoid staining their teeth.

Straws don't make much of a difference in terms of cavity risk.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I noticed that my level of dehydration after drinking diet Coke was off the charts. No matter what i drank it with i would need to have so much water to offset both the real bloating and the feeling of thirst. Bad is subjective, ask a smoker.

sorry drinking diet coke and smoking are not even remotely the same thing...

maybe you were just, dehydrated.

Of course they are not, not even close. Read my sentence "Bad is subjective, ask a smoker" That means that we all know that smoking is unhealthy and will cause problems. But if you ask a smoker if smoking is bad, they are likely to try and justify the amount of bad.

and diet coke is none of those things, so failure on comparisons...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    I noticed that my level of dehydration after drinking diet Coke was off the charts. No matter what i drank it with i would need to have so much water to offset both the real bloating and the feeling of thirst. Bad is subjective, ask a smoker.

1) You actually think smokers don't know that smoking is bad for them?

2) There's nothing whatsoever in Diet Coke that would cause dehydration. It's 95+% water. The amount of caffeine in a soda is nowhere near enough to cause diuresis sufficient to negate the hydrating effects of the water in a can of soda. The "feeling of thirst" part is subjective - the dehydration part is not.

3) "Bad" isn't subjective when there's scientific proof one way or the other.

1) Believe it or not, there's plenty of smokers that believe that the "bad for you" is hyped up. They will give you examples of "grandma smoked for 30+ years and...." blah blah blah... They will rationalize their use whenever they can if they're not the type to just tell you that they don't give a hoot.

3) There's scientific proof that drinking soda of any kind is not good for you so...

links to said scientific proof????
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

2) There's nothing whatsoever in Diet Coke that would cause dehydration. It's 95+% water. The amount of caffeine in a soda is nowhere near enough to cause diuresis sufficient to negate the hydrating effects of the water in a can of soda. The "feeling of thirst" part is subjective - the dehydration part is not.

1) Believe it or not, there's plenty of smokers that believe that the "bad for you" is hyped up. They will give you examples of "grandma smoked for 30+ years and...." blah blah blah... They will rationalize their use whenever they can if they're not the type to just tell you that they don't give a hoot.

3) There's scientific proof that drinking soda of any kind is not good for you so...

What proof are you referring to here?

Yeah, I'd love to see that proof too.

And I don't know any smokers who don't know it's bad for them. They either say "It's too hard to quit/I'm too busy/too stressed to quit right now" or they fall back on "Well I'm gonna die of something".

I drink usually one diet drink a day (Coke Zero or Diet Dr. Pepper or Crystal Light). I feel great, drinking no cals instead of reg soda helped me lose weight, I have great numbers on blood tests, no digestive problems, no cavities in years. I wouldn't drink tons of diet soda a day because of the carbonation and because I don't think it's good to overdo anything. :drinker:
  • EricaJMomof2
    EricaJMomof2 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    The only problem I've noticed is that when I drink diet coke, it's usually in place of water. So then I get a little dehydrated and have a harder time getting my 8 cups of water in. So now I limit my soda intake to one/day at the most.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,125 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    The only problem I've noticed is that when I drink diet coke, it's usually in place of water. So then I get a little dehydrated and have a harder time getting my 8 cups of water in. So now I limit my soda intake to one/day at the most.

That doesn't make sense. Diet Coke is basically just colored, carbonated water. Unless drinking say 12 ozs makes you not thirsty so you don't drink for hours on end, which might slightly dehydrate you. If you drink 12 oz can of diet coke, you don't need to drink 8 more glasses of water. At least one of those was in the form of Diet Coke.

Diet Coke used to be the only thing I basically drank. I was not dehydrated in the least. I have lowered my amount to about one a day, and drink other things like milk, water, crystal light, and I feel no different than when I was getting most of my hydration from Diet Coke.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    JeepHair77 wrote: »

I used to work with a guy who was always citing some "study" that the artificial sweetener in Diet Coke caused brain cancer in mice, therefore, it would cause brain cancer in all of us. He'd walk through the office and point out anyone drinking a diet coke, all, "brain cancer!!!"

We blew him off, so one day, he actually sent us the link to the study. A normal-sized human would have to drink like, a truckload of diet coke every day for years and years to even come close to replicating the study they did on mice.

So... I'm not too worried.

so your saying there is a chance?

Actually there isn't a chance to do it drinking diet soda - you would die from water poisoning well before you consumed the amount of aspartame that would be needed to replicate the doses fed to the rats.

Now if you could actually obtain pure aspartame, then if the sweetness of the stuff didn't kill you first, you might be able to consume enough to duplicate the numbers and put yourself at risk.

I was being sarcastic..guess it did not come through..
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options

I used to work with a guy who was always citing some "study" that the artificial sweetener in Diet Coke caused brain cancer in mice, therefore, it would cause brain cancer in all of us. He'd walk through the office and point out anyone drinking a diet coke, all, "brain cancer!!!"

We blew him off, so one day, he actually sent us the link to the study. A normal-sized human would have to drink like, a truckload of diet coke every day for years and years to even come close to replicating the study they did on mice.

Actually there isn't a chance to do it drinking diet soda - you would die from water poisoning well before you consumed the amount of aspartame that would be needed to replicate the doses fed to the rats.

Now if you could actually obtain pure aspartame, then if the sweetness of the stuff didn't kill you first, you might be able to consume enough to duplicate the numbers and put yourself at risk.

DOH!!! :smile:
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    It depends who you ask..

-People who have a dependence on it and need to drink it everyday will say soda is the nectar of the Gods and will shut down anyone who points out anything negative about it.

OR

-People who have successfully kicked the habit, or others who had to stop drinking because it affected them in a negative way.

Both groups will have a vehement opinion on either side.

I used to be a smoker, plus had one or two other unhealthy addictions/habits and used all the excuses and justifications in the book. No, I'm not comparing soda to cigarettes, but i recognise the excuses and comments people use to justify whatever their habit may to be...
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

Psssssstt.....in 12 ounces of Diet Coke, guess what about 11.9 ounces of it is?

(Hint: Water. Almost 1 1/2 glasses of it.)
  • Keldug
    Keldug Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I could go thru a 2 liter each day,I love love love Diet Coke it since I've been drinking an ocean of water it's easy for me to have 8oz of it once or twice a day with my meal and that's enough.Once I stop with my water intake,it's easy to go back to overdoing it on soda.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options

I got ya. Dumb and Dumber, right? :smiley:
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    I did not used to drink diet sodas - never drank them in fact until I switched to them when I started trying to lose weight 4 years ago.

Have felt no better or worse or different in any way than when I was drinking regular - except better in general because now healthy weight range.