TOM vs extended cal deficit, when to worry?

Options
Hi,

So, I have been hesitant to ask this, as I have certainly read lots of things that say it is normal enough with weight loss etc...

but how many periods can I miss before I should worry? could this be my body telling me im going a little far? I have missed my last 2 cycles... not doing excessive exercise, just limiting calories (1300ish these days, started at more like 1200, sometimes I go around 1400 - have lost 10kg over the past 4 months)

I am not pregnant, before anyone suggests that ;)

eta - can it be the types of foods I am eating messing with me? any recommendations? it is kinda weirding me out not having it... I have been super regular in the past...

Bjam

Replies

• summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    That's not that low, as far as calories. Have you taken a pregnancy test?
  • emsibun
    emsibun Posts: 208
    Options
    You probably don't want to hear this...

Go to the doctor. Periods can stop for lots of reasons, some very serious, others not so serious at all (menopause onset is one not so serious reason! probably not applicable to you - who knows?) - missing 2 cycles is definitely a sign you must not ignore. If you can't get to a doctor, do you have a friend who knows a nurse or someone with medical knowledge you can go to for 5 mins 'free' advice?

Take care x
  • bjam1234
    bjam1234 Posts: 75
    Options
    yeah - that's what I thought re calories

and not necessary at present, totally not preg :P

eta - emsi, at 22 would be seriously odd to be menopause!! (although early onset does exist... that would suck) - wasnt thinking it was too serious?? but perhaps you are right - I am inclined to ask a doctor... have booked into a nutritionist at this point because I thought maybe it was a sign of probs with diet...
  • MaureenCreates
    MaureenCreates Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    My body doesn't like making estrogen on its own, I need to take birth control to regulate my cycle. Longest I've gone without it was 10 months before getting put on birth control. It was pretty nutso.
  • bjam1234
    Options
    holesinface - was this related to your dieting or just in general for you? I kind of figure mine is diet related because it has only been a recent issue... but could be coincidence?
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Stress can cause this. Have you recently had a major life change?

Also, if you've moved to a new place/job/housing where you are now with a few more or different females, this can cause this to happen as you all kind of realign to each others' cycles.

But at your age, weight and calories, generally speaking this is NOT normal. Get thee to a doctor asap!
  • bjam1234
    Options
    ... won't rule out stress this year ...

thanks for the replies guys - I will get some medical advice :|
  • emsibun
    emsibun Posts: 208
    Options
    Great to hear you're getting some medical advice: So many things could cause this.

I don't agree with the poster who said that 1300 - 1400 kcals isn't low - it is very low if you are active and don't eat exercise calories back. I know you do eat them back sometimes though. Into perspective: The maintenance calorie goal for my weight (68kg) for a sedentary person is about 1750 kcals. I know we are similar weights. Sustained over several months (as you said in your post) and I'd guess this kind of deficit could have an adverse effect on your cycle - and on other bodily functions too. Particularly as you've not got much to lose! I don't know how tall you are, but I know I'm a normal BMI and I'm about average height (all guesswork again about you though!). in this situation 1300 - 1400 daily kcals is definitely low when sustained over time.

You're so sensible with your diet - although you are veggie or vegan I believe? That's a bit of a minefield in itself! - Edit - just checked and def. not veggie or vegan! Super duper healthy diet though!

A nutricionalist might well be able to help, particularly as you've kept records of what you've eaten since your last period - but medical advice will hopefully help to rule out anything else as the cause.
  • MaureenCreates
    MaureenCreates Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    holesinface - was this related to your dieting or just in general for you? I kind of figure mine is diet related because it has only been a recent issue... but could be coincidence?
    Seems to be just a general thing. My body doesn't like being a girl I guess? lol I dunno
  • bjam1234
    Options
    quick update having seen a gp who ran some blood tests - I am healthy and doing everything normally - my diet in his opinion is good and not so extreme to be at all worrying - and given my hormones are all doing what they should be it is most likely caused by stress and I can expect to go back to normal in the next couple of months (he says it is quite common in girls these days to do strange things like this)... esp if I chill out a bit ;)

Thanks for the advice guys, Emsi you especially for your support :) it is really appreciated
  • candb
    candb Posts: 238
    Options
    Have you always had regular cycles? If so then definitely seek medical advice. I personally have always had irregular ones so it has not been unusual to miss a couple (28-day cycles) because my actual cycles are more like 60 days. Once I charted regularly I noticed that it was normal, for me. Hope it's that simple for you and that nothing is wrong.