Anyone with injuries here?

Options
maggie_anna_uk
maggie_anna_uk Posts: 11 Member
edited June 2017 in Introduce Yourself
Hey,I'm Maggie from London. I'm a dancer and I teach zumba. That's been put on hold due to my injury. I tore my ACL in mid November. Self-motivation and and extreme amount of physio combined with great focus allowed me to get back on track in mid March.
Waiting for an opperation and I'm freaking out I won't be able to get active for ages.
Anyone on here who has experienced a similar issue?

Replies

• marilynlewiis
    marilynlewiis Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi Maggie, my name is Marilyn, from Dartford Kent, and I too have a knee injury and am going to have cameras inserted into my knee soon to find out exactly what is causing the pain but like you it is suspected torn ACL.
    You are lucky to be back at work, I have had this for 6 months but even if I walk around a shopping center mine is swollen when I get home, going downstairs I always have to put my left foot first, it's really annoying.
    I'm just trying to find out if I should be having less calories than MFP recommends because I am not doing any exercise, at the moment the weight is not coming off - what do you think ?
    How did you get on with your weight loss while you were recovering ?
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Less severe, but I'm recovering from a facet joint sprain.
  • 23_cmac_23
    23_cmac_23 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey,I'm Maggie from London. I'm a dancer and I teach zumba. That's been put on hold due to my injury. I tore my ACL in mid November. Self-motivation and and extreme amount of physio combined with great focus allowed me to get back on track in mid March.
    Waiting for an opperation and I'm freaking out I won't be able to get active for ages.
    Anyone on here who has experienced a similar issue?

Hi Maggie! My name is Courtney and I also tore my ACL a couple years back. If you are worried about your surgery, don't be! My surgery went very smoothly bc I strengthened the muscles around my knee before surgery (quads, calves and hamstrings). An exercise I used to do was a quad lift where you lay on your​ back, tense up your quad and lift your leg, do that as many times as you can. Also stretching out calves, hamstrings, quads and hip flexors before surgery helped a lot. After surgery you need to stretch as much as you can and keep a positive mind set! I was lifting pretty heavily by 6 months but could do a lot of cardio and side to side movements by 3-4 months. I was in this best shape of my life getting back from ACL rehab! Hopefully this helps and you'll be back in no time!!
  • Getupgetatit
    Getupgetatit Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Yes I had a severe mortcycle accident when I was 18. Really messed up leg
  • Tarek_81
    Tarek_81 Posts: 9 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Hi maggie, my name is Tareq.
    I had a fracture in my knee (I have fallen from a ladder and my leg got stuck in the steps and my knee was bent sideways and I heard a loud pop) , Doctors put my leg in cast for several months. after that I had to use a knee brace to prevent my knee from going sideways and make sure the ligaments heal. Now the brace is off and my knee is fine I can walk and run with no problem.

Hope you get well soon.
  • maggie_anna_uk
    Options
    My surgery went very smoothly bc I strengthened the muscles around my knee before surgery (quads, calves and hamstrings). An exercise I used to do was a quad lift where you lay on your​ back, tense up your quad and lift your leg, do that as many times as you can. Also stretching out calves, hamstrings, quads and hip flexors before surgery helped a lot. After surgery you need to stretch as much as you can and keep a positive mind set! I was lifting pretty heavily by 6 months but could do a lot of cardio and side to side movements by 3-4 months.

Thank you ever so much Courtney! That's extremely motivating! <3
  • maggie_anna_uk
    Options
    Thanks Guys for your positivity :)
  • SubductionZone
    SubductionZone Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yep, did ACL reconstruction in 2013. Waiting to get a meniscus repair in the other knee in the fall.

The reconstruction and rehab is daunting, but it goes by reasonably quickly. So much better than the wait to get surgery. Once you get rolling with PT, you'll feel better. Focus on the PT... it makes all the difference. It's quite different than the pre-op physio and there's a bit of a psychological component to it, especially if you've been athletic beforehand.

Good luck! It sounds like you've already put in some of work. I'm sure it will go well.
  • maggie_anna_uk
    Options
    Yep, did ACL reconstruction in 2013. Waiting to get a meniscus repair in the other knee in the fall.

The reconstruction and rehab is daunting, but it goes by reasonably quickly. So much better than the wait to get surgery. Once you get rolling with PT, you'll feel better. Focus on the PT... it makes all the difference. It's quite different than the pre-op physio and there's a bit of a psychological component to it, especially if you've been athletic beforehand.

Good luck! It sounds like you've already put in some of work. I'm sure it will go well.

Thank you ever so much,sounds great! Do you still tend to suffer from any pain or does your knee casue any inconvenience? Is it possible to get back 100%?
  • SubductionZone
    SubductionZone Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you ever so much,sounds great! Do you still tend to suffer from any pain or does your knee casue any inconvenience? Is it possible to get back 100%?

I travel for both my jobs and since the surgery, my knee and below really swell when I fly. Given that I'm usually on my feet ~12 hours a day once I arrive, it can be a little problematic. Compression stockings and physio sessions when I arrive do the trick most of the time. (when work in sports, I usually have access to a team doctor) If I'm travelling for my other job, it's for fieldwork and the first day always feels a little stiff, but the hiking usually works it out pretty quickly.

As far as 100%, I think it's very case-specific. It depends on the demands you put on it afterwards, how well physical therapy goes, and a little luck. I have lots of anecdotal experience from athletes and field scientists...two very different groups, but both very dependent and demanding on their knees. Feel free to PM if you have more questions or want more details.

• Mrjd40
    Mrjd40 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have torn my ACL twice and had a knee reconstruction. At the time you never think it's going to get better but it does...just take it easy and don't rush into exercising to quickly
  • bladebiker
    bladebiker Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Hi Maggie,
    Yes, three open fractures of the lower tib, bone grafts, replaced calf muscle, severed femoral, 12 months in a wheelchair or on my back, external fixation of the knee and fibula, just learnt to walk again.
    Oh and I have a screw through my right ankle from another accident in 97 where I sheered off my tailous bone in my right ankle