Golfer's elbow from incorrect form?

Options
Twice now the day after I went to the gym and focused on lifting weights I have a pain on the inside of my right elbow. It only hurts if I extend my arm. Searching doctor Google says that it is likely medial epicondylitis (golfers elbow)

Has anyone dealt with this and was there something you did the help get your elbow feeling better? I am also going to look at some trainer session so I can make sure my form is correct.

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Usually these things are from doing too much too soon rather than poor form. Are you doing a body part split workout? If so, switch to full body workouts, since they're easier on the joints. Do any rows and lat pulldowns with a pronated grip only. Skip bicep curls completely. If you're taking creatine, stop.

Ice & anti-inflammatories may hide the pain but may delay healing. :+1:
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Agree with the above and add you may need to really warm up a little better with your wrists & forearms and some "nerve flossing" movements.
  • cessi0909
    cessi0909 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I appreciate it -- not taking creatine but won't start either. I have been doing body splits so will change to a full body. And I have not taken anything for it or iced it.
    And I certainly think I can do more for a warm up.

Thanks again!
  • blackcomaro
    blackcomaro Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with creatine monohydrate.... but any way. Depends what your doing... some exercises will require more strength in other areas orher than what muscle your working. Biceps for example.. will considerably work you forarms to begin with untill your forarms can out last you bicep.
  • Hallie82
    Hallie82 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I've had it for about 4 months. It's definitely not as bad now but still there. I was told anti-inflammatory, icing and they also sale a support brace specifically for it, I got one off Amazon. Mine was triggered by a ton of snow shoveling this winter
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,981 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I developed golfer's elbow in the form of a pain at the tip of the ulna in both elbows, where various ligaments are attached, doing 50 pullups 100 pushups snd 50 dips daily for over a month. This happened despite using a neutral grip for both pushups and pullups.

Tried using the elbow flexor straps which relieved the pain a bit but wasn't a cure. Only thing that worked was to rest the elbows for 1 month straight w/o doing any pushups, pullups, dips, bench presses or OHPs until the pain and soreness went away completely.

Started doing the pullips, pushups, dips, BPs and OHPs again slowly after that and have worked my way back to doing 40 pullu(ps, 75 pushups, 60 dips just 3x's per week, in 5 sets gradually increasing the reps per set by 1 or 2 each month AND by doing the 10x3 Waterbury Method in both BP & OHP, 1x each per week w/progressively heavier wt at 80-90% of my 1RM, increasing the 1RM by 2-5% each month.

No recurrence of the elbow pain or soreness since.
  • blakeym
    blakeym Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    ARG.....after 8 months of weight training, I've developed the same painful condition. I've started by reducing my typical load by at least a quarter and doing a few more reps. Ive found the pulling motions (cable crossover is unbearable) are far more painful than pushing. My plan is to focus more on the lower half for the next month and do minimal upper body. This really sucks.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Work the eccentrics of exercises such as arm curls, wrist curls, or negative chins will help alot.

I've had it on and off for many decades.

Do not ice, it's a total myth as far as curing and a waste of time.

Tendons take a while to heal because they are so course and there isn't much volume of blood that travel through them compared to say muscles.

Once again, the eccentrics will stretch the tendon, which is partly the problem. Also using a neoprene elbow sleeve will keep the elbow warm and will make the treatments/training much easier.