How often should I exercise?

Options
ghudson92
ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
This may seem like a frankly ridiculous question but how often do I need to go to the gym to see results? Currently I am going three times a week for just over an hour. I spend my time there lifting weights. I don't have any specific goals outside of making my body strong and healthy. I'm sorry if this is a silly question.

Replies

• Magnus_TKN
    Magnus_TKN Posts: 1,909 Member
    Options
    Three to four times a week is actually pretty good.
  • ldwatene
    ldwatene Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Sounds good to me. Find a workout plan though if you havent already opposed to just doing anything.

There is a post here somewhere that has workout plans or just Google 3 day weightlifting plans.
  • ghudson92
    Options
    Thanks. That's reassuring to hear that it's enough. There is so much contradictory information around that it can be hard to know if you're doing the right thing. A downside to the Internet I guess.
  • Meaganinsardinia
    Meaganinsardinia Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    An more trustworthy alternative to google is available. Most countries have National Guidelines on exercise, diet, sleep hygiene, screen time etc. They are developed from peer reviewed research and updated. For example here is the Australian exercise guideline for 18- 64:

Doing any physical activity is better than doing none. If you currently do no physical activity, start by doing some, and gradually build up to the recommended amount.
    Be active on most, preferably all, days every week.
    Accumulate 150 to 300 minutes (2 ½ to 5 hours) of moderate intensity physical activity or 75 to 150 minutes (1 ¼ to 2 ½ hours) of vigorous intensity physical activity, or an equivalent combination of both moderate and vigorous activities, each week.
    Do muscle strengthening activities on at least 2 days each week.

• Relax_Its_Just_Burpees
    Options
    When I start training a beginner I don't want them at the gym 6-7 times per week.

3x per week is plenty and more then enough. If your goal is to be fit and healthy then keep going 3 times per week. You get plenty of rest in-between. But make sure you're active on the days you rest. You need 30 min of activity each day and it doesn't have to be high intensity activity. A walk around the neighbourhood is enough.

But if you wanna train for a bikini/powerlifting/crossfit/field&track and so on you might wanna keep with the 3 days per week and when your body get's used to it you'd at the 4th day. Few weeks laker you add the 5th.

Don't go to fast and be smart about your training.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    This is impossible to answer. Frequency, consistency over time, quality of programming, nutrition, individual recovery & outside stresses all affect results. 3x a week strength training is great. But also consider the above factors. More isn't always better, sometimes it is, but not always.
  • ChelzFit
    ChelzFit Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends on the individual. I know when I was working out for an hour 6 days a week, I couldn't handle it. It was just too much with trying to be a mom of two toddlers and little sleep. I now workout 4 sometimes 5 days a week and the other days I am active by walking moderately. I feel like my body just needed an extra day or two to recover. The one thing I have learned is not to compare myself to others, you do you.
  • FatWithFatness
    FatWithFatness Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    If you're going to add anything, try walking for 30-40 minutes a day, even it's just 10 minutes after every meal.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I do something every day. But what I do varies by weather, energy level, time available, whether I overdid things yesterday and am still achy, etc.

Cardio: either a 2-hour walk or 1 hour on a fitness glider.

Strength: some weeks alternate days between upper and lower body, some weeks full body every other day.

Combo: Generally on days when I walk for over an hour but don't feel like hitting the glider, or I don't feel like doing a complete strength routine but know I need to do something, or I feel in a rut and want to mix things up a bit: the strength-training book I'm using has a section with cardio-and-weights workouts. The first is relatively low-intensity and the author says it can be used as a warmup, as you progress. I do that, followed by a slightly more advanced workout that also incorporates a 9" bouncy ball. (Well, the author calls it a beach ball, but to me, a beach ball is a big, light, inflatable thing. The picture in the book shows something very different.)
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    This may seem like a frankly ridiculous question but how often do I need to go to the gym to see results? Currently I am going three times a week for just over an hour. I spend my time there lifting weights. I don't have any specific goals outside of making my body strong and healthy. I'm sorry if this is a silly question.

"How often do you need to exercise?" Often and frequently enough to achieve what you want to achieve without burning yourself out. "I don't have any specific goals outside of making my body strong and healthy." Are your three times a week accomplishing this? If so, continue. If not, consider a change. Personally, I exercise five days a week, or so, alternating between lifting at the gym and running in the streets. But, that's just me.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options

3x per week lifting is what most full body programs prescribe...but I would follow a structured program. Doing your own thing usually results in a lot of wheel spinning.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    When I start training a beginner I don't want them at the gym 6-7 times per week.

3x per week is plenty and more then enough. If your goal is to be fit and healthy then keep going 3 times per week. You get plenty of rest in-between. But make sure you're active on the days you rest. You need 30 min of activity each day and it doesn't have to be high intensity activity. A walk around the neighbourhood is enough.

But if you wanna train for a bikini/powerlifting/crossfit/field&track and so on you might wanna keep with the 3 days per week and when your body get's used to it you'd at the 4th day. Few weeks laker you add the 5th.

Don't go to fast and be smart about your training.

This totally! You aren't training for anything specific other tban general fitness and health. The advice above gets you that.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    If your goal is overall fitness and health you may also want to add some cardio to the equation. If you have no desire to run a marathon it needn't be terribly time consuming, pick an activity that you enjoy (biking, running, swimming, cardio classes etc) to help with cardiovascular health.
  • sbantonio
    sbantonio Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I exercise every day but hard on week days; light on the weekends.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Health and strength are not the same. For good health, you need to do some aerobic activity as well. The current recommended minimum is 45 minutes a day, 5 days a week. Go for walks, ride a bike, go swimming - there are a lot of things you can do to increase your aerobic fitness.
  • ghudson92
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I do some cardio but probably not enough. Based on the answers I am going to stick to my strength routine and add some cardio in between.
  • txlonghorns1978
    txlonghorns1978 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm in the gym 5 days a week for 2 hours before work Monday-Friday and Weekends I rest or do a light workout
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I suggest you decide what goals you truly are after. Then work toward them. As others have said - look for a program to follow. Then go from there, your results or lack of will motivate you to keep it at 3 times per week or to up it. Good luck
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Health and strength are not the same. For good health, you need to do some aerobic activity as well. The current recommended minimum is 45 minutes a day, 5 days a week. Go for walks, ride a bike, go swimming - there are a lot of things you can do to increase your aerobic fitness.

Who recommends this "current" minimum for cardio? I haven't seen this before. Not that it would be bad but it really depends. After a heavy strength training day, 45 minutes may be too much.