Running and toenails - help!

amehh91
amehh91 Posts: 1,282 Member
So I did a 10k obstacle race thing in trail shoes a couple of weeks ago and since then my middle toenail is really...not normal. The trail shoes were worn a couple of times before with no problems and are a half size bigger than my normal every day shoes. It basically looks like the nail bed has swollen underneath and pushed my toenail to be at an angle and it can be quite painful at times when walking or in shoes after a run, though it is getting less painful by the day, and when I press on it. It also looks a purple/red colour.

Is it possible that my toenail is damaged and will fall off? I know with running that can happen but I average between 10-20 miles a week with my longest run at 6 miles so didn't think I really ran enough to be affected. Also, is there anything I can do to help it heal/protect it or should I embrace my potentially nail-less toe?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    A doctor may be able to puncture the nail and drain the blood out so you don't lose the nail. Regrowing a nail is a long process, so I would have it looked at.
  • jenno369
    jenno369 Posts: 24 Member
    My middle toenail did exactly what you describe earlier this year (after a longer run). I thought I was going to lose it, but it just sort of stayed there, looking strange. I just kept it cut really short.
    After awhile, probably close to 2 months, it started to lift a little on the edge, so I picked it a little and the nail just peeled right off. A new nail had been growing under, so I never had any time without a nail. The new nail is still short but it seems to be growing in totally normal.
  • yellingkimber
    yellingkimber Posts: 229 Member
    Find a podiatrist that's in network with your insurance and get in.
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    What!? No pictures?
  • amehh91
    Thank you for the advice - I'm in the UK so insurance isn't a problem and I've made an appt with my GP for next week, just to check it out like you all suggest - I'd rather not lose a toenail if I can avoid it!

And jenno369 - good to know someone else has suffered this! I'm sure many other have too but it's good to have an empathetic ear! I really dislike feet at the best of times and this is really grossing me out haha
  • WhitneyDurham777
    WhitneyDurham777 Posts: 71 Member
    Don't worry about it at all. I run a lot and when you get to a certain range of miles this is the reality. Thank god for nail polish.n7olt0n1moay.jpg
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Losing a toenail is a rite of passage for many runners but I'm surprised that you'd suffering from one based on your running volume. The most likely culprit are the shoes (I've been very fortunate, I have yet to experience a black toenail and my running ranges from 25 to 40 miles per week)

Here's a link to an article you may find helpful.

jeffgalloway.com/learn/black-toenail/
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    I can't help you with your current problem, but I can give tips on avoiding it in the future:

1. Keep your toe nails trimmed. The longer your nails, the more they will hit the front of the shoe and get damaged.
    2. Make sure your shoes fit properly. My running shoes are 1-1 1/2 sizes bigger than my street shoes.
  • amehh91
    Losing a toenail is a rite of passage for many runners but I'm surprised that you'd suffering from one based on your running volume. The most likely culprit are the shoes (I've been very fortunate, I have yet to experience a black toenail and my running ranges from 25 to 40 miles per week)

Here's a link to an article you may find helpful.

jeffgalloway.com/learn/black-toenail/

I agree with the running volume, it isn't as much as I thought would be "needed" for toenail issues. The shoes should be okay as I got them fitted (albeit at Sports Direct) but perhaps just under 3 hours of running and climbing (and swimming) in fairly new shoes has caused the problem and my runs since have further exacerbated it. I also probably didn't have them trimmed as short as I could.

A combination of things! Ah well, I'll take a trip to the docs and see what they say :)

Thanks everyone!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    I wore tight fitting shoes much of my running career and experienced similar results. I found a great podiatrist (and runner) last year who recommended using a 1/2 size larger and changing my gait a bit with good results.

I've had every nail fall off at one point. I had one great nail permanently removed and about to schedule the other one. Mine are just too far gone at this point.

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    When I have a problem, it's usually because I haven't trimmed my nails before going for a long run or hike. I haven't ever lost a nail, but I've had a couple of black nails that eventually grew out and I've had bad cuts on my toes from sharp edges. I never notice pain while running, but I have taken off my socks and found a lot of blood underneath. You may also have your shoes tied a bit too loose, so your feet are sliding forward on downhills.
  • rheddmobile
    Next week is not soon enough, if something can be done it needs to be done within hours. Call your doctor and ask for advice. Do you guys not have urgent care centers for injuries?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    amehh91 wrote: »
    So I did a 10k obstacle race thing in trail shoes a couple of weeks ago and since then my middle toenail is really...not normal. The trail shoes were worn a couple of times before with no problems and are a half size bigger than my normal every day shoes. It basically looks like the nail bed has swollen underneath and pushed my toenail to be at an angle and it can be quite painful at times when walking or in shoes after a run, though it is getting less painful by the day, and when I press on it. It also looks a purple/red colour.

Is it possible that my toenail is damaged and will fall off? I know with running that can happen but I average between 10-20 miles a week with my longest run at 6 miles so didn't think I really ran enough to be affected. Also, is there anything I can do to help it heal/protect it or should I embrace my potentially nail-less toe?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

I'd just a blister under the nail. I suspect by the time you get to the doctor it'll be being help, so just let it grow out.

My inclination is the shoes are too big, as toenail damage can be caused by the toe smashing into the front of the shoe in an uncontrolled way as your foot slides forward. Personally I prefer Inov-8 precision fit shoes.

That said, running volume suggests something else. Possibly it's been something about the obstacles, rather than the intermittent running.
  • amehh91
    Update: saw the GP who said that while swollen I could have had it drained but it's too late now and I have essentially a scab under my toenail which will take a while to grow out and it's still painful at times because of the pressure. He has recommended not booking more runs and races until it's healed and easing off on longer runs HOWEVER I've just started getting in my stride adding distance and feeling really motivated. I'm happy to have only 1 long run a week but I want to continue adding distance as I was hoping to sign up for a half. He said to pad the toe - does anyone have tips on how to do that? It's my middle toe so a bit awkward, Is it just extra cushioned socks? Any help appreciated!
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 868 Member
    Update: saw the GP who said that while swollen I could have had it drained but it's too late now and I have essentially a scab under my toenail which will take a while to grow out and it's still painful at times because of the pressure. He has recommended not booking more runs and races until it's healed and easing off on longer runs HOWEVER I've just started getting in my stride adding distance and feeling really motivated. I'm happy to have only 1 long run a week but I want to continue adding distance as I was hoping to sign up for a half. He said to pad the toe - does anyone have tips on how to do that? It's my middle toe so a bit awkward, Is it just extra cushioned socks? Any help appreciated!

You can try wearing toe-socks or slightly thicker socks. I would take another look at your shoes. It is not typical to get black nails during long runs. I know it happens from time to time for some people. However, it is often due to the shoe being too big allowing the foot too much room to slide around. Conversely, the shoe can feel like a nice snug fit, and be too small causing the toes to be subjected to constant surface tension and rubbing. How one laces his or her running shoes can also play a role in such things.

Are your shoes big enough to allow for swelling during long runs?
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    That happened to me and it worked itself out. I would just put a tiny bit of tape (that white fabric medical tape) over the top. It could have just been a tiny bit of a jagged nail that wasn't cut perfectly straight. If you have socks that work otherwise, I wouldn't change them.
  • cheriej2042
    cheriej2042 Posts: 241 Member
    edited June 2017
    Read Fixing Your Feet by John Voshof, I bought it to help me with a 4 day long distance event but I learned a ton from that book including some ideas on different socks for hiking. I also told my podiatrist about things in the book he didn't know about!
  • amehh91

You can try wearing toe-socks or slightly thicker socks. I would take another look at your shoes. It is not typical to get black nails during long runs. I know it happens from time to time for some people. However, it is often due to the shoe being too big allowing the foot too much room to slide around. Conversely, the shoe can feel like a nice snug fit, and be too small causing the toes to be subjected to constant surface tension and rubbing. How one laces his or her running shoes can also play a role in such things.

Are your shoes big enough to allow for swelling during long runs?

My trainers are a 1/2 size bigger than my every day shoe, probably about a finger width of room at the toe. I have had these trainers for a couple of years now with no issues but they've run probably coming up to 300 miles, not including doing other workouts such as home dvd's so maybe it's time for some new shoes?
  • rheddmobile

Yep, that's pretty much what I figured you would hear - you can drain a black nail when it first happens but it has to be done before the blood has congealed. I wonder if you could put a piece of soft foam rubber in the toe of your shoe? It might help keep your foot from sliding as much, and pad it when it does. Or what you suggested, buy some new ones.