BCAAs

Options
2»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    worrblade wrote: »
    Hey help for all people and I sure hope none of you are doing fasted workouts! BCAAs should have a 2:1:1 ratio with that 2 being leucine! Leucine is the only amino acid that is known to stimulate protein synthesis (protein being used) on its own. This does NOT mean that using pure leucine is better, all studies show that 2:1:1 ratio works best. During the day you want to be able to spike protein synthesis as much as possible to get the most muscle growth out of your day and your workout. Drinking BCAAs and dextrose(or a fast digesting carbohydrate) at the end of a workout spikes this process. If BCAAs are also taken with a small amount of whey studies have also showed that it will boost ur BCAA plasma levels in the blood even fast .. aka better. BCAAs are great to day between meals, when you can't get a meal on time or around your workout. Is it better than protein??? At raising BCAA plasma levels fast and higher YES! And that reason is because the aminos are not branched together in a full protein like whey. Your scoop of whey might have 5 grams of BCAAs but they may or may not be branched to the other aminos at the molecular level. After all of that typing.. its a supplement and not neededBut if you want that extra 1% gain that might start to be noticeable after years of training go for it! I get cheap unflavored BCAAs
    That's where you should have left it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Stockholm_Andy
    Stockholm_Andy Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    simmoner4 wrote: »
    I too would like to know what's wrong with fasted workouts. I train first thing in the morning everyday fasted.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with fasted workouts for the vast majority of people. Like you I almost always train before breakfast. Both weights and cardio (sometimes on the same day - yesterday I ran 2k to the gym, did an hours chest/triceps then ran the long way back 6k).

Perhaps my performance could be slightly impacted by this but personally I have much more energy when I train in the morning as compared to late evening it balances out. I feel.

On the flip side there isn't anything particularly beneficial/magical about them IMHO either.

Its just personal choice if you feel comfortable eating breakfast before and early workout - again my opinion.

• simmoner4
    simmoner4 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    simmoner4 wrote: »
    I too would like to know what's wrong with fasted workouts. I train first thing in the morning everyday fasted.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with fasted workouts for the vast majority of people. Like you I almost always train before breakfast. Both weights and cardio (sometimes on the same day - yesterday I ran 2k to the gym, did an hours chest/triceps then ran the long way back 6k).

Perhaps my performance could be slightly impacted by this but personally I have much more energy when I train in the morning as compared to late evening it balances out. I feel.

On the flip side there isn't anything particularly beneficial/magical about them IMHO either.

Its just personal choice if you feel comfortable eating breakfast before and early workout - again my opinion.

Exactly my thoughts. I have much more energy at 4:30 am, before going to work, than at 6 when I get home from work. I've never had a problem with fasted workouts, cardio or strength, and I don't like to eat that early.