Ah gain :(

Options
HM2206
HM2206 Posts: 174 Member
At my vanity pounds now, and haven gotten used to sloow progress.

For the past few weeks I have been working out a lot (both strength and cardio) in order to maintain my calorie goal (1600-1700 per day) and it's been going fairly well. Last weigh-in 5 days ago I had lost a pound, and I feel slimmer too, so that's good news. I log everything, and I usually go to bed a little hungry.

But when I weighed myself again today (fell for temptation) I was up 2 lbs!

People say weight fluctuate, but I don't see why I should suddenly retain water. I am not PMSing either (11 days until next period). I usually don't fluctuate like that.

I have been doing a lot of strength training and also eating a lot of protein because I want to get stronger as well, but I am not sure if it is possible to actually gain muscle while at a calorie deficit?

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    You can retain water at other points in your menstrual cycle (ovulation particularly which is about 2 weeks prior to your period), it can also be caused by sodium intake, changes to workout (you mention you're doing a lot of strength training), changes to macros, hydration, alcohol, medication, etc. If you didn't weigh at the same time of day, it can also be the difference of food/waste/fluids in your system at the time of weighing.

It's highly unlikely you gained 2lb of muscle in 5 days.

How daily weighing looks on a graph:
    lzlojvrvcx13.jpg

• fromaquasar1
    fromaquasar1 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I recently downloaded the app "happy scale" - I log my weight with it every day and it smooths out the trend. I've been really surprised how much my weight goes up and down! I only have ten pounds to lose so a 1 pound fluctuation can obliterate my whole weeks work. Happy scale is helping me to see these as normal and that I am tracking in the right direction.

Oh also I tend to fluctuate up by 1 - 2 pounds the day after I lift weights, something to do with water retention and muscle repair!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    The last few lbs can require you to be more precise about your food intake as you are so close to goal. It can be slow and frustrating.

Also strength training can cause water retention especially if you have just started or even switched programs (adding more volume, etc).

Can you build muscle while you are still losing? Maybe, but it is less likely the leaner you get. Regardless you want to maintain it so that it shows as you lose and you will have more definition.

Are you measuring and taking pictures? I would definitely start to further track your progress.
  • HM2206
    HM2206 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Oh also I tend to fluctuate up by 1 - 2 pounds the day after I lift weights, something to do with water retention and muscle repair!

Maybe. Lets hope so. I had a "legs and bum" day at the gym yesterday and my bum is really sore today, so I know I got a good workout.

I haven't had very large BMs either, maybe I am carrying some food around?
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    HM2206 wrote: »
    At my vanity pounds now, and haven gotten used to sloow progress.

For the past few weeks I have been working out a lot (both strength and cardio) in order to maintain my calorie goal (1600-1700 per day) and it's been going fairly well. Last weigh-in 5 days ago I had lost a pound, and I feel slimmer too, so that's good news. I log everything, and I usually go to bed a little hungry.

But when I weighed myself again today (fell for temptation) I was up 2 lbs!

People say weight fluctuate, but I don't see why I should suddenly retain water. I am not PMSing either (11 days until next period). I usually don't fluctuate like that.

I have been doing a lot of strength training and also eating a lot of protein because I want to get stronger as well, but I am not sure if it is possible to actually gain muscle while at a calorie deficit?

you don't gain 2 lbs of muscle in one week - that's for sure. as others said, it is likely water retention and/or daily weight fluctuations.
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me like you weighed yourself again in the same day. During the course of a day I will go up anywhere from 1 to 5 pounds. Sometimes I weigh myself right before bed just to see how much it drops overnight. If that is your scenario, don't sweat the change. With few exceptions, morning weight is the most consistent.
  • xchocolategirl
    xchocolategirl Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    What's your current height and weight? oftentimes recomposition eating at maintenance and incorporating cardio and a progressive strength training program might be a better strategy than trying to lose weight.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    HM2206 wrote: »

Maybe. Lets hope so. I had a "legs and bum" day at the gym yesterday and my bum is really sore today, so I know I got a good workout.

I haven't had very large BMs either, maybe I am carrying some food around?

My legs always swell after a hard lifting day. I've gotten used to the fact that I am a couple of pounds heavier when I am lifting regularly. Possibly even another pound or two on top of that after leg day.

I weighed myself when I woke up. Had coffee, did my business. Lost a pound. My point being that 2 pounds is incredibly inconsequential. I agree with the recommendations to track daily. Everyone fluctuates.
  • elizabethmcopeland
    elizabethmcopeland Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    consider tracking and measuring your body girths...the scale is tricky when considering muscle and water weight