Exercise

Options
atmmassage
atmmassage Posts: 4 Member
I earned 200 calories today from exercise. So should I eat 200 more calories?

Replies

• Rufftimes
    Rufftimes Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Some do. I don't
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    I would only eat half. Most of my exercise calories burned are overestimated. So on the safe side, I only eat 50% back.

I don't always eat mine back though but I usually do. For example, I am going on a trip this weekend so I didn't eat any exercise calories back this week because I'll be eating at or above maintenance on my trip. So that way it all balances out.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    If you're using MFP as intended and those 200 calories are accurate - then yes - eat them all back. If you're unsure about accuracy then you can eat just a portion back.
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Depends on your personal goals. If you are trying to lose weight then the answer is NO. If you are trying to gain weight or maintain then YES.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Depends on your personal goals. If you are trying to lose weight then the answer is NO. If you are trying to gain weight or maintain then YES.

This is incorrect. MFP is set up for you to eat back your exercise calories, even when losing. Like others have said, you may only want to eat back 50-75% just in case the exercise calories are over-estimated.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options

If your goal is to lose weight you should put your goal in to MFP and then eat the number of calories it suggests which will include your exercise. No matter what your goal, you should understand what's involved and how to achieve it.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options

Fuel your workouts. If you are not losing, then you are estimating too high.
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    My favorite part about open forums is all the opinions. :) Opinions debunking opinions is awesome! Just remember opinions are like A**holes, everyone has one so good luck sorting them all out. :):):)