Good macros & supplements for knee injury recovery

Options
Hey guys, first time poster. I'm 5'8", 120lbs, 34 yr female. I have used MFP in the past with success (went from 135 to 117 lbs). I'm still recovering from a stress fracture (now its a bone bruise) in my left knee, and wondering what macro percentage would be good to aid my knee recovery? I am doing physical therapy exercises as well as yoga/pilates (low impact) but my knee is not improving as fast as I'd like. I have creaky knees and have recently added collagen peptides to see if that helps the joints. I'm pear shaped so I store my fat in thighs/butt and upper body is very petite. Also, if anyone can share supplements that really helped them, I'm all ears. Anyhow hope this is enough info, I don't care about weight per se, just want to get back into playing tennis and a little higher intensity exercises. Any help would be much appreciated.

Replies

• JennyThompson180
    JennyThompson180 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I take fish oil and a joint supplement blend of the three supplements generally accepted to help joints. Glucosamine, chondroitin and MSM.
    I am not a big supplement advocate. I researched what each of these did and decided it applied to my situation. I run, and I am middle aged. I don't have big joint issues. I seem to have fewer aches when I take these. Your issues sound more bone related.
  • bethany_rose8
    bethany_rose8 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    It couldn't hurt to take a multivitamin and fish oil.
    You can also take separately a b complex, calcium & magnesium, vitamin c with more fish oil. This covers your bases. I've found pharmagreens powder very beneficial when I can afford to buy it also.

The above advice is based on overall health. If you increase your overall health, you are likely to help any current health issues you have.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Mostly you need food and time. A knee injury is a good excuse to take up swimming. Take an adult stroke class at your local Y.

A multi can't hurt. (So far as I know!) Adequate calcium/magnesium are certainly essential. No need to overload on any vitamins, including C.

I don't go for any of the collagen supplements. Just eat enough protein.

Fish oil seems to have not panned out via recent research, but it is a nutrient, and can't hurt within reason. (It acts as a blood thinner, and shouldn't be taken with aspirin therapy, I discovered.)

Now to the most controversial: there is some evidence that taking ibuprofen impedes bone growth. Something to consider if you are taking a lot of ibuprofen.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    I noticed a minor increase in my knee discomfort when I ran out of turmeric last week.

I'm taking
    Turmeric 1500 mg twice daily
    Cinnamon 2400 mg twice daily
    Glucosamin/Condroitin/boswellia(Vitamin shoppe joint gold)
    Fish oil 1000 epa 500 dha twice daily

For knee discomfort. since I can't take NSAIDS.

Obviously if you are restricted from blood thinners, the fish oil and cinnamon should be approached with caution.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Are you eating at maintenance?
  • Phonicblue
    Phonicblue Posts: 9 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I know I'm probably going to get slammed for saying this, but at 5'8" and 120 lbs and below, my first thought is to gain weight and muscle to support that knee. Seems really disproportionate.
  • bethany_rose8
    bethany_rose8 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I also agree that you should eat more, apologies for not noticing your stats. Ask your doctor about rehab exercises and eat more and healthily to help you heal as well as the above advice I gave you and the other helpful information.