Beginner Runner

Options
Okay, I'm fed up with my legs! I ran last week (Tues) 5K in 35 min. It was smooth sailing, my body was loving it, my mind loved it...I couldn't wait to do it again. The next morning, I could barely walk, but it was a good ache. Well it's been a week and I still have the ache in my calves and shins. I realize even though my body didn't protest while I was running, I may have over done it for my first run. My question to all of you is, how long do I wait before I go out and run again? Do I push past the ache and just do it? I don't want to injure myself but I REALLY want to get out there again!

Replies

• zohars
    zohars Posts: 29
    Options
    If it's just a little muscle soreness, you could still go for a run (start slow so your muscles have time to warm up, and then you would be fine). But it sounds like it might be more than that, in which case you definitely want to wait until you're 100% before going out again or you'll have a much longer recovery the next time.
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    Start slow, be sure to stretch everyday, including days you don't run. Start out walking, a good brisk walk, if you legs start to feel better after a mile or so then go with a slow jog and go from there.
  • knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    When I first started running, I would give myself a rest day in between, where if I did anything it would just be walking.

Also - make sure you are eating enough protein for muscle recovery and a lot of stretching at the end, to combat soreness. The more I stretched, the better I felt the next day.

Push yourself, but be careful not to push too hard. I liked using the training pattern of a c25k, to help with planning and sticking to schedules, especially in the beginning.
  • rohobe
    rohobe Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Ok, I have no expertise here. :) I am in week 6 of Couch to 5K, and a beginning runner myself. But, if it were me, I'd go ahead and try it. A week seems like a long time to still be sore! I'd go again, but maybe go slower, or just 1 or 2 miles, to be safe, then see how you feel for a day or two. I have heard other people say that it can work out the soreness. I have no idea of the validity of that claim. :) If someone else posts with other advice, I'd listen to them. Just wanted to give you my perspective on it. Good luck!
  • HollyMcCaw
    HollyMcCaw Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    As long as it is a tolerable pain I would work through it. I just started running again for the first time in a year and the first week or two was hard, especially on my shins (and I have good sneakers so I knowit wasn't from that). The more you go the easier it is going to get, also I have found that know that my other muscles are strenghtening from running my shins are no longer hurting.
  • janiedoe111
    janiedoe111 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I have been running consistently for a year and I think it is pretty intense that you went out there guns blazing running a 5K on the first run. A great deal of running guides suggest mixing running/jogging and walking when first starting so that you strengthen muscles that haven't had that much strain before.

I like to push myself so I would likely head back out but just with the intention of fast walking and see what happens once I get moving. Good luck!
  • ShellGetsFit
    ShellGetsFit Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!! It was pretty bold of me to go out like that but it felt so good...lesson learned! I'll be trying...carefully...tomorrow to run again! Going for a walk tonight with my girls and will decide after that! :smile:
  • kgagnon7779
    kgagnon7779 Posts: 216
    Options
    It sounds like you have shin splints, which can happen any time you really increase the intensity of your workout - which it sounds like you did! I'd ice tonight and take some ibuprofen to help the swelling. If it is shin splints, these days they advise to not run through the pain, or it may cause further injury.
  • irongirl73
    irongirl73 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I've never had shin splints so I can't say how that feels. Do you have the proper shoes? I don't think just going from no running to running a 5K is the best idea so you may just back off and do a walk run building up to that point again. Do you just push past the pain? Depends on the pain. General soreness, yes, pain no.
  • ocrunner11
    ocrunner11 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your 5k! Ice is your new best friend. Start off easy if you are going to run, if the pain exist, start walking Consult with a doctor if pain persist. Happy Running
  • ShellGetsFit
    ShellGetsFit Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I was super proud of myself! I iced last night after doing a 2.5K walk with my little girls, a great core workout and a nice stretch. My legs are still a bit sore but not like they were. I think the main thing was to work it out. I'll be trying a run again tonight but with shorter intervals.
    Definitely shin splints! I researched some good stretches which I did throughout the day yesterday and will continue today. I just bought new shoes, I doubt it's those...not impossible though, could be the wrong type.
  • RippedNShredded
    Options
    After your run, make sure to do a proper cool down. Then stretch after, once your legs get used the soreness will go away.

Foam roller is great way to loosen up th muscles when they are tight.
  • janiedoe111
    janiedoe111 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I have also found that Arnica Gel works awesome for shin splints. I buy it at Whole Food's Market.