Requesting vacation ideas for brokenhearted

Options
orangegato
orangegato Posts: 6,570 Member
Broke up w/ fiancee. Dumped actually. Have a week of vacation during the 4th of July week. Any good ideas for traveling solo? No romantic places please. Something to recharge batteries, lift my soul and make me believe in all that's good once again.....

Replies

• beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,035 Member
    Options
    find a nearby yoga and/or meditation retreat. or if you have the cash, find one abroad.

That's what I was going to say -- or if that's not your style, a spa (preferably for singles of your gender)
  • Sara2652
    Sara2652 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    So sorry @orangegato. For me I would go for a hike in the woods with my dog but a spa retreat sounds a lot better if you got the cash!
    When I broke up with my long term bf I took a road trip up the coast of California and stopped at my friends place along the way...her dog had just had puppies so that helped.
    Also talk about it, let it out and give yourself space to move on.
  • slider728
    slider728 Posts: 1,494 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    That's rough man! So sorry to hear about your fiancee. It has been a long time but I have been there myself!

Everyone has to find their own Zen place in these situations.

Honestly, I think @Vikka_V has an awesome idea about road tripping. Personally, I think that idea *kitten* rocks! When I needed to clear my mind, I'd drive the Alaska Highway. I'd pick a destination, research a little about it (spontaneous is great, but you need to be prepared for driving in remote areas), and go. I ended up in Inuvik, NWT once doing that. There is something about the gorgeous scenery and endless miles of road that just cleansed my soul.

I have no idea where you are at, but I've had similar drives in the lower 48, mainly out West to places like Montana, Yellowstone, and such. I'd pick places I wanted to see along the way and just do it with minimal planning. I'd drive until I got tired and just stop for the night.

How you feel about a train ride? How about grabbing the Amtrak from Chicago out west to Seattle. Get yourself one of those tiny rooms to sleep in, get on the train, and just sit and watch the world go by!

4th of July week...they have the civil war reenactment at Gettysburg (July 1 - 3). Guns and people pretending to shoot each other, it doesn't get any less romantic than that. You can head over to Washington DC to watch the fireworks on the mall for the 4th of July.

I know it has been said, but I've been in the position after a breakup where I was able to sit on the beach with lots of alcohol. That cured a lot of heartache for me. Maybe grab an all inclusive package to Mexico or the Caribbean for the week.
  • dc8066
    dc8066 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I vote a roadtrip to the mountains
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Go do something you like and he doesn't. That can be anything from beach to museums ECT. Take a trip that is your dream.
  • sw33tp3a1
    sw33tp3a1 Posts: 5,065 Member
    Options
    orangegato wrote: »
    Broke up w/ fiancee. Dumped actually. Have a week of vacation during the 4th of July week. Any good ideas for traveling solo? No romantic places please. Something to recharge batteries, lift my soul and make me believe in all that's good once again.....

Try going somewhere where you have to be physically active, like hiking/ rock climbing...places you have to explore physically. I find those places works best for me when I need my mind distracted.
  • Ben_there_done_that
    Ben_there_done_that Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    They say the best way to get over someone is to get under someone else. I don't know who "they" are, but they must be onto something. Anywhere fun with a lot of energy and people. Unless you're the type who likes to wallow alone in misery.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Reykjavik is one of the safest places to travel alone in the world, for women. As a matter of fact, it is ranked numero uno on the Global Peace Index, which is a report released by the Institute for Economics and Peace regarding the peacefulness of regions and countries around the world.

But, make no mistake about it – Reykjavik’s safeness isn’t the only reason it has crawled its way on our list of the best places to travel alone for women. It is, after all, the epicenter of life and culture of Icelandic people as well as one of the country’s focal points of tourism. Eclectic, laid-back and downright beautiful, Reykjavik is a great base for day trips that display Iceland’s postcard-perfect attractions, such as the Blue Lagoon and Northern Lights.
  • orangegato
    orangegato Posts: 6,570 Member
    Options
    Thanks so far to everyone. I am skeptical about any type of meditation/yoga retreat b/c I have never done that. Even now when I am just resting, my mind drifts away and thinks of Her. The idea of imposed silence doesn't appeal to me. And I have never done yoga - could be good for me, but not sure I want to learn that right now. I am leaning towards road tripping either solo or w/ a friend and hiking + microbrewery hopping. Calorie counting will take a hit or at least my nutrition will for a week most likely. Still got some time to plan so keep the ideas coming. thanks.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    orangegato wrote: »

You could go to some kind of convention.
    http://www.upcomingcons.com
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,620 Member
    Options
    I'd go to theme and amusement parks myself. With all the waiting in lines these days, it will take more than a day or two to hit them up.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I actually took the time to look at your profile and see that you are male. I've always found that the best way to get over a woman is to get into another one. Here's my advice:

http://nevadabrothels.net/

Road Trip!!