Are you willing to share your umbrella with a stranger?

Options
everstrong55
everstrong55 Posts: 56 Member
If it rains cats and dogs suddenly outside a shop, and you've got an umbrellla and about to go when you see a man standing in the doorway, will you kindly share your umbrella with him or think it's none of your business and just go away?

Replies

• SEAHORSES4EVER
    SEAHORSES4EVER Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    If it rains cats and dogs we're going to need more than an umbrella ;)

Honestly? It depends, if I need to get somewhere I probably don't have the time to be saving soon-to-be-wet strangers. Otherwise, yes, I would offer.

• Dovekat
    Dovekat Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    It depends on the vibe I get from the stranger, if we are going in the same direction and if I have a mushroom umbrella or a normal one. No way two ppl are getting under a small mushroom :wink:
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I have shared my umbrella with people when waiting at the bus stop.
  • MrStabbems
    MrStabbems Posts: 3,110 Member
    Options
    urinate on them then there is no need to share the umbrella
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Yes, and I would give him money to buy a new umbrella. I am in no way lying to make myself look better to internet strangers.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I never carry an umbrella so no. He can get wet like me or wait it out. I have never expected a stranger to share an umbrella with me.

If I had an umbrella-
    The person has shelter in the doorway or in the shop so it isn't dire.
    Is it an 80 year old man or a 20 year old man? I'd probably be more inclined to help an older guy.
    Do they look distressed about waiting or chilling out playing with their phone or something? Someone who is looking worried about being late I might offer my umbrella to.
    Are they dressed super nice or in very casual clothes? I'd probably be more likely to offer to someone whose clothes look like they would be harmed by getting soaked.
    Is it daytime in a busy area or at night with no one else about? Not going to walk around with a strange guy in a deserted area at night in the pouring rain.
    Is this an offer to walk them to their car in the nearby parking lot or several blocks to another building? I'd probably only offer to walk them to their nearby car.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Probably not. I really like my personal space.

Plus, umbrella-sharing, even with a loved one, always seems to result in me getting soaked because of height differential or pacing challenges. So I tend to buy those itty-bitty foldable umbrellas and shrug all, "sorry, it's just too small to share."
  • BedsideTableKangaroo
    BedsideTableKangaroo Posts: 736 Member
    Options

the most important variable is this man's height. if he's too tall, then no because the the rain will hit the much shorter me. too short, nope, hurts my back to stoop.

if he's my height, and hunky, i might even buy him a coffee.

if the story was changed to a woman, we'd both have a smoke after spending time in such close quarters.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I live in the desert...I don't even own an umbrella.
  • JewelsAU
    JewelsAU Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    If it is raining hard enough to break out an umbrella (which I do not care if I get wet anyways), then I am staying put till its calms down enough to walk to my car, etc..

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,506 Member
    Options
    If it rains cats and dogs suddenly outside a shop, and you've got an umbrellla and about to go when you see a man standing in the doorway, will you kindly share your umbrella with him or think it's none of your business and just go away?

Of course I would; not to would be selfish and rude.

*disclaimer: I'm originally from the Midwest.
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I live in the desert...I don't even own an umbrella.

jeez... come to think of it, yeah.

I have sunscreen stashed everywhere, but an umbrella?
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    I would share my umbrella as long as the person a)doesn't have a mullet b)isn't holding a severed limb and c)isn't talking to themselves (in an argumentative tone)

I always argue to myself, outloud. I can usually argue both sides so well I have to just quit or it'll never end.

OP I'd share my umbrella but I've offered before and most men would rather get wet then be under a two-toned pink Victoria's Secret umbrella

i remember your selfie wet from the rain

haha.

yeah, awesome photo btw

not real happy looking at the time but..... yeah, a great selfie
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    I live in Seattle, I don't have an umbrella.
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,034 Member
    Options
    Hell no.