Can I Not Progress On Dead Lift And Still Reach My Goals

Options
Hi, I've been doing the 5x5 program, but I have issues with degenerative discs. (I do wear a belt while lifting). I have to be careful with any lifting but especially dead lifts. My questions are: How can I work towards the body I want (fit/muscular in a feminine way) while only being able to dead lift between 80-100 lbs? Do I compensate by doing more sets/reps? Will my body stall out, physically? I've always understood or assumed that in order to get ripped/fit that you have to progress on your lifting, so I'm a little confused as to how I can achieve my goals with the disc issues. I'm eating at a deficit. I'm eating according to IIFYM and I've set my loss at .5 lbs a week. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Replies

• GlassslippersAndFairyDust
    Options
    Anyone?
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've been doing the 5x5 program, but I have issues with degenerative discs. (I do wear a belt while lifting). I have to be careful with any lifting but especially dead lifts. My questions are: How can I work towards the body I want (fit/muscular in a feminine way) while only being able to dead lift between 80-100 lbs? Do I compensate by doing more sets/reps? Will my body stall out, physically? I've always understood or assumed that in order to get ripped/fit that you have to progress on your lifting, so I'm a little confused as to how I can achieve my goals with the disc issues. I'm eating at a deficit. I'm eating according to IIFYM and I've set my loss at .5 lbs a week. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

These are questions that your doctor and PT will have to answer.

In the long term, the belt is actually going to hamper you from getting strong in the places and ways you will need to be strong in order to effectively compensate for your disc problems.
    Options
    You don't HAVE to deadlift in order to achieve your goals. I just did a quick google search and there are other exercises that you could do in place of them if you wanted. (I would post what I found here, but I'm not very informed so I don't want to give you alternatives that aren't actually appropriate).

thanks....I'll search it too. :smile:
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    As long as your goal isn't to increase your deadlift poundage, there are a lot of ways to work around it and still reach your goals. Deadlifting isn't an essential exercise to reach your goals as stated in the OP, and SL5x5 isn't the only viable routine for achieving them either. Plenty of other options available to you.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I'd be just as worried about back squatting heavy if not more so than deadlifting.

Also another vote for not relying on a belt so as to build your core up, and then using a belt in certain situations.

To finally answer your question, as long as you are lifting hard and progressing in other movements, stopping early with the DL, isn't a big deal
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm feeling relieved to know I don't have to follow the program to the letter and can still make progress. I've already started searching for alternatives to the DL....also, Rybo, your point about the squats is dead on. I've noticed that too and have started doing hip thrusts, which haven't given me any problems. Thanks again!
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    ^ Agree with all of the above, and I will add that you may want to find a program that better suits your needs.
    I assume by "5x5" you mean Stronglifts or something similar? I would look into something like Strong Curves, where you're doing a larger variety of exercises more aimed at your physique goals rather than strength progression.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    i'll just chime in with the grain of salt that sl 5x5 is doable by anybody . . . but the site itself and its whole slant is very much aimed at young[er/ish] guys. at least it was the last time i looked at it, which was almost three years ago [did the programme for almost a year, but i can't stand the guy and his presentation style].

don't be afraid to make any adjustments to the pace and demand level that are applicable to you. NEVER feel like you 'have' to lift any specific weight just because some stranger who's never heard of you said that it's what you 'should' do next. and nothing says you 'have' to keep getting stronger either. progressive loading is a good way to build strength, but a) you don't have to progress at the pace written down, and b) nothing says you have to keep progressing anyway, if you like where you're at and you just want to maintain at that level instead.

also, 'ripped' and 'fit' are two different things :wink: unless you're speaking current british slang, of course.
  • jpoehls9025
    jpoehls9025 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    My two cents (take it as you will).

I don't know why a lot of people hate on using a weight belt, I find it a good way to aid in keeping your core nice and tight so you don't end up with an extended abdominal wall (from taking deep breaths to stabilize your spinal column). Also using a belt is relative to someone's strength for the most part, never seen someone pulling over 600lb's that used a belt at 3-400ish pounds.

OP, you totally do not need to deadlift to get good gainz, and progressive overload can come in many forms example ( sets, reps, weights, rest times) you can play with different variables to keep moving forward. Example when in the event you fail at adding 5lbs, drop it back down and try repping the weight out for an extra couple reps and try again next week to add your 5lbs.

Persistence is whats going to get your fit and ripped, just keep active and working hard to get better and in time you will be there, no doubt! Good luck and train safe.
  • marleycarla
    marleycarla Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    The 5x5 program is specific but you can be flexible with your own schedule. Chronic back pain limits a lot of people in lifting, so there should be plenty of information out there about ways to get around it.

Lifting is about volume. If you get to the same volume you should be doing the same work.

Volume= reps*sets*weight

Using lighter weights with more sets or reps will get smalled muscle fibees to develop but will still help towards weight loss and calorie burn. This is what I do to get around my low back pain. I find that back squats hurt it worse though.

If you haven't met with a personal trainer before I would look into doing at least one session! They can help you with form that might be causing more pain.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    In the long term, the belt is actually going to hamper you from getting strong in the places and ways you will need to be strong in order to effectively compensate for your disc problems.

I'm sorry but this is complete nonsense.

Using a belt does not hamper core or spinal erector strength and development. When used properly, a belt actually provides spinal support to enable the lifting of heavier weight with a lower risk of injury.

See for example: https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/3-key-benefits-of-wearing-a-weightlfting-belt.html

However, using a belt may not protect the OP from injury related to her degenerative disc problems.

Whether she should deadlift or do any other exercises that put substantial stress on the vulnerable discs in her spine (with or without a belt) is something that she should discuss in detail with an orthopedist specializing in spinal injuries and disorders.
  • jpoehls9025
    jpoehls9025 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »

Using a belt does not hamper core or spinal erector strength and development. When used properly, a belt actually provides spinal support to enable the lifting of heavier weight with a lower risk of injury.

See for example: https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/3-key-benefits-of-wearing-a-weightlfting-belt.html

However, using a belt may not protect the OP from injury related to her degenerative disc problems.

Whether she should deadlift or do any other exercises that put substantial stress on the disc in her spine (with or without a belt) is something that she should discuss in detail with an orthopedist specializing in spinal injuries and disorders.

Thank you! I was like "what is wrong with people opinions on using a belt!". Good to know there is still supporters, I suppose most never lift heavy enough to see the necessity.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »

Whether she should deadlift or do any other exercises that put substantial stress on the disc in her spine (with or without a belt) is something that she should discuss in detail with an orthopedist specializing in spinal injuries and disorders.

Thank you! I was like "what is wrong with people opinions on using a belt!". Good to know there is still supporters, I suppose most never lift heavy enough to see the necessity.

IF, you're lifting heavy enough to need one, then use one.

Beginners should learn the exercises without the belt.

It is absolutely *NOT* a necessary item of equipment.
  • bethany_rose8
    bethany_rose8 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    You do not even need to lift significantly heavy to get results, you just need progressive overload, which is an increase in volume/intensity which can include weight.
    I would recommend ensuring your activation is sufficient, in the deadlift you should be able to feel your hamstrings, glutes and a slight amount of lower back.
    lower impact replacements for the deadlift would be straight leg bridges, glute bridges, reverse hyperextensions (you can google these if needed)
    If you really want to keep deadlifting, focus on keeping slow and controlled during the movement, do not focus too much on "powering" the weight up as this could cause instability and make you more prone to injury.
    Also I would recommend increase reps slowly first, and increasing the weight even slower.
    You need to be even more careful with squats (focus on activating quads, glutes and calves, avoid using your back in this movement) and I would recommend donkey kicks, reverse lunges, goblet squats as replacements if needed.
    A good rep range for you would probably be closer to between 7-15 reps. Too high (20-30) can cause injury from repetitive stress and too low (1-6) can cause injury from too much weight. I love to lift heavy but you need to be honest with yourself and kind to your body☺️
    Options
    Thanks everyone! All good suggestions and I've already googled the ones I wasn't familiar with and will be incorporating them into my routine. I will always wear a belt because I can tell a difference if I don't as far as pain, etc.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    You might like to try one leg deadlifts. It helps strengthen each leg separately(and can even out imbalances) without the strain on your back. More reps and sets also work. I get to a point where increasing weight on deadlifts always pulls my low back, so I focus on just doing more at a lower weight.