Did keto for 3 weeks and lost but want a diet with carbs...suggestions??

Options
I did keto for 3 weeks and lost 13lbs staying under 25carbs a day. Went off of it because I wanted carbs back in my life. Not sure what I should be eating, tried weight watchers for a couple days but counting points seemed way more restrictive and I felt I was more hungry. On keto I wasn't hungry that much and was looking weight..feel like I don't have alot of control and not sure what I should be eating?

Replies

• Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Stop looking for gimmics and fat diets. Create your own that fits your needs.

Plug your information into MFP with your desired weight loss rate. This will give you a baseline target for calories which you can add any exercise you do. Eat those calories. MFP will show you the starting macro split which you can modify if you wish.

You can eat whatever you want, the key will be moderation and portion control to stay within your goals. This is even a better route for you than Keto because it will also teach you how to eat for the rest of your life so you dont gain all the weight back.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I agree eat what you want just stay in goal that is given based on your stats here...but be forewarned...you will gain back some water weight once off Keto...
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,986 Member
    Options
    I started by logging all my food here and then looking at my FOOD page at the end of the day and making the changes I could a little at a time.

It takes time to come up with something that works for you. I just ate the foods I liked in smaller amounts. Pretty simple, and I've maintained my weight loss for a decade now doing this.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Blueberries are delicious and fibrous. I keep blueberry farms in business.
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Blueberries are delicious and fibrous. I keep blueberry farms in business.

I have them frozen. its like little candies!
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Have you considered doing a modified type of low-carb diet like slow-carb wherein you allow yourself some higher-carb, starchy items such as sweet potato, and oats/oatmeal? Just a thought...
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Personally, I dont' waste time with diets. I just aim to hit a calorie, protein and fiber goal. Outside of that, I do not restrict. I guess you can call that flexible/IIFYM dieting if you would like.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    How about not following a named diet?
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Skip the named diets. Eat a lovely balanced diet with amounts of carbs, fats and protein that will satisfy you, with a healthy calorie deficit that brings you toward your goal. No food is a bad food, just ensure you follow quantity limits.

I have lost at least 55 pounds doing this and I feel amazing. I do not feel like I have to "cheat" or like I'm a failure because I couldn't do the diet. If I want chips, I have a serving of chips and figure out a way to make it work. I eat out if I want to. I make healthy food choices about 80-90% of the time because I like to. And I succeed at fat loss because all that matters in the end is that I eat less calories than my body needs so I lose weight. It is that simple.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,926 Member
    Options
    I've done WW and South Beach but no longer bother with named diets. I've learned what foods fill me up the most and focus on them. I reduced baked goods and bread made from flour because they don't satiate me at all. I increased fruit to satisfy my sweet tooth for a lot less calories.

Getting a digital food scale was extremely helpful to me, as is being disciplined about exercising regularly.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Eat anything you want. Just count the calories honestly and stay within whatever total calorie limits you set for yourself based on your goals.

That said, if you stay committed to your calorie totals, you'll naturally end up gravitating towards healthy foods to give yourself enough bulk to not feel hungry all of the time. When every ounce of food becomes important, it's not that hard a choice between having 3 ounces of fried chicken cutlet or double that amount of grilled chicken breast.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    OP, I agree with all the previous posts - don't follow a "diet", take the time to figure out how you want to eat for the rest of your life.

Try just eating and logging what you want to eat, being mindful of portion sizes for a week. Then look back over your log. Where are you wasting calories? What are some foods that filled you up and fit calorie-wise? What did the days that went well have in common, and how can you build on that? Tweak a little for next week and keep doing this until you find your sweet spot.

General guidance would be to make sure you are getting enough protein, fat, and fiber. Think about building a meal around lean protein and veggies. Make sure you find ways to fit in foods you love often. Try not to spend too many calories on beverages, as they usually won't fill you up. Don't get too caught up in "good foods" and "bad foods". Move more whenever you can. Good luck!
  • KelGen02
    KelGen02 Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Everything and anything in moderation and within you calorie limits. My husband and I eat a primarily plant based diet, we add some protein in there and eat all the other things we like/crave every once in a while as long as it fits in our calories. Unless you have a medical condition that requires, there is no need for restrictions of any kind. Obviously for nutritional purposes you are going to want to hit your macros with healthy fats, lean protein, fruits and veggies but cutting out the things you enjoy all together isn't realistic for the long haul. I cut out white flour/breads and sugary things because they are just empty carbs and do not satisfy my hunger. But that doesn't mean I don't enjoy a slice of cake at a birthday party every once in a while or some take out pizza... Its all about a balance and being able to sustain for the rest of you life. I have had this mind set since I started back in November and I am down 64lbs in 6 months and feel better than ever! Its mind over matter! You are over thinking it, YOU are in control! B)
  • OnthatStuff
    OnthatStuff Posts: 141 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    How about not following a named diet?

I agree with Rybo. A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. A diet is diet is a diet. Whatever you want to call it, you'll always need to fill your plate with more of what works for your waistline and less of what hurts it.
  • jmcdao
    jmcdao Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I would venture a guess that while on Keto, you were also at a nice calorie deficit.
    The grains and snacky carbs have a ton of calories, and its easy to overeat them.

As others have said, embrace logging in MFP, if even only for a few weeks.
    You can eat your carbs, but once you see how many calories they really have-- you might opt not to.
  • mlsh1969
    mlsh1969 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    CICO use this app, to make a deficit of a pound or two a week. Eat what u want in moderation. Good luck ☺
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    jmcdao wrote: »
    I would venture a guess that while on Keto, you were also at a nice calorie deficit.
    The grains and snacky carbs have a ton of calories, and its easy to overeat them.

As others have said, embrace logging in MFP, if even only for a few weeks.
    You can eat your carbs, but once you see how many calories they really have-- you might opt not to.

Carbs have less than half the calories of fats. Low carb didnt work for me, even while cycling carbs is because there is such a lack of volume. This is why you tend to see volume eaters gravitate towards carbs.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I certainly don't blame you for wanting carbs.. The only thing you need to do to lose weight is eat less than you burn. Get a scale, weigh all your food and log it. Get/Keep your body in a modest deficit and you will lose weight.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I've never followed a "diet". Is there a reason you don't want to just eat whatever food you want but count calories?