Stomach Discomfort

Options
Hello, everyone.

I drastically changed up my eating style about 6 months ago. I went from eating out every day/fast food to cutting out fried foods and significantly increasing my fruit/veggie intake as well as lean meats (although I am not perfect by any means and do still indulge occasionally).

At any rate, about a month ago I started experiencing a lot of gas/stomach discomfort and sometimes diarrhea after basically anything I ate. I thought it may have something to do with the change of diet, but why all of a sudden would my body be reacting this way?

Any suggestions on changes I can make, or ways to combat this would be very helpful!

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Many people experience stuff like this when they increase their fiber intake significantly. My guess is that if you're eating more fruits and vegetables you are getting more fiber than you used to.

My suggestion: cut back on the fiber and gradually increase it. People can adjust to a higher fiber intake, but it takes some time.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,049 Member
    Options
    At this point after such a long period of time after implementing these changes, I would see a doctor.

It could be a lot of different things.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    At this point after such a long period of time after implementing these changes, I would see a doctor.

This. Bring your food log with you--it may help in determining possible triggers.
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Did you add any new foods at the time the discomfort started? Quinoa, for example, causes severe stomach distress and pain in some people.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options

Co-signed.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I also co-sign that you may want to check with a physician for sure if you have any serious concerns.

But I can tell you I experience the same thing, on again, and off again, because I'm going through the early stages of menopause, where I won't have a period for a few months, and then I will have bouts of serious gastric distress where every thing I eat gives me gas and diarrhea and it stops as soon as a period starts. And then the cycle starts over again for a few months.

But yeah, there's a lot of things it could be. If it's been going on for a whole month, I'd get a professional opinion.

• Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Check with your doc, but maybe gall bladder?
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Have you had a course of antibiotics lately?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Consider an elimination diet for a few weeks until you isolate the issue:
    http://www.uccs.edu/Documents/healthcircle/pnc/health-topics/Allergy Elimination Diet.pdf
  • fatnomoreplz
    fatnomoreplz Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great input!
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    TheGaudyMagpie Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    sunsweet77 wrote: »
    Check with your doc, but maybe gall bladder?

This is what happened to me when I had gallbladder issues. I'd echo the advice to see your doctor because there are some procedures that may improve things without surgery if that's the issue, and if it's not, the problem should be addressed for your comfort, if for no other reason. Having been there, I know it's no fun.