I can't stop binging, but have difficulty with moderation!

Options
rosestring
rosestring Posts: 225 Member
So the title says it all. I realize elimination diets are generally a no-no, but I have a lot of difficulty with moderation, so I try not to eat any junk food/sweets/soda at all. But then I eventually just binge on a lot.

Has anyone found a happy medium? This is going to sound ridiculous, but I get restless when I don't have something sweet in the house. But then I feel very, legitimately depressed after I binge. The number on the scale is only going up.

PLEASE help. Thanks.

Replies

• Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I started by having a really small deficit. I still allow things, but also make substitutions, like halo top.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I did. It will probably be difficult if I ever move in with a man or have a family. But for now, it works. I just don't keep calorie dense easily accessible food in the house. Right now if I wanted to binge on something it'd have to be like..lettuce and sugar free BBQ sauce.

That said I obviously limit a lot of foods BUT I do look forward to something more calorie dense once per week OUTSIDE of my home. Or if I want something sweet I will buy a single serving of something. I do have lower calorie alternatives as well.
  • Keldug
    Keldug Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My husband has a MAJOR sweet tooth,so he tries to have one sweet treat,(150 Cals or under) like a bunny snack from Blue Bunny and that usually helps keep it in check. We drink a lot of water during the day but will allow ourselves to have 8oz of diet soda with lunch and dinner. We used to go thru 2 liters of soda like maniacs but as you take in more water you'll lose that urge.Allow yourself a treat every day,log it in your food diary and eat well the rest of the time. Don't put too much pressure on yourself,you'll find what works for you. This is not for everyone but maybe try smelling peppermint oil (you can get a little bottle of essential oil in most health food stores)throughout the day,it helps cravings. And try guided meditation on YouTube when you're stressed... put on your ear buds lay back and after 10 mins you'll be good to go! Good luck!
  • AnderMama88
    AnderMama88 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend checking out the book Brain Over Binge
  • thatdesertgirl777
    thatdesertgirl777 Posts: 269 Member
    Options

Seconded.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I did very poorly with moderation. Carbohydrates seem to trigger hunger in me, with refined carbs and sugars being the biggest problem.

Now I've cut back on most carbs and I rarely eat my trigger foods. It seems to work well.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I ate compulsively, maybe it qualified as bingeing, I don't know, but what helped me was 1) overall eating better. Getting in all the nutrition I need, through a varied diet mostly made up of real, whole foods. 2) Eat what I want and allow myself anything I like, not cutting anything out that I like. 3) Reducing fear by increasing knowledge. Read, discuss, experiment, assess, adjust. Find out what I really like and want, and what like and want means. 4) Plan what I want to eat, and then buy all that, and nothing I don't intend to eat.
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    You sound similar to me. Like someone else said halo top ice cream is a good choice. I know they sell it at Kroger. Also go for ice cream sandwich so then you only eat one and you know the calories. I have an outside freezer so I only keep one or sometimes none in the house. It sometimes help me doing this. Also kettle popcorn is a good thing.

Another tip before I binge I tried to log before. Or at least try to make myself log a guess after. You can do it. Never completely give up on a day
  • agmgwn
    agmgwn Posts: 1 Member
    Options

Seconded.

Thirded! Also they have a podcast by the same name which is great if you're not a reader.
  • rosestring
    rosestring Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Thank you to all the responses!

I guess I will have to check out Brain Over Binge! I think meditations would help. I can try to keep just a serving here or there of something sweet or previously "off-limits." Hopefully some of this can work.

Thank you again!
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Elimination/restricted diets are not a "no-no" for many people. If fact, many people feel better and prefer it over moderation. It's all about figuring out what works best for you.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I did very poorly with moderation. Carbohydrates seem to trigger hunger in me, with refined carbs and sugars being the biggest problem.

Now I've cut back on most carbs and I rarely eat my trigger foods. It seems to work well.

I initially did very poorly with moderation also and I had previously lost weight on an Atkins type diet (and regained it all since I didn't know any better) Anyhow, when I initially began in 2013 I did keto for maybe 2 months (also because that's all I really knew - low carb) I don't personally do keto anymore but I do think it helped curb my appetite for many of the carbs I was over over consuming as an obese person, and couldn't moderate. Slowly I added back all foods I would previously binge on and moved to a more IIFYM approach, but I do think that while keto would not be for me long term, it did seem to help me with hunger and cravings initially.

Learn the energy balance OP, then tweak your diet as you see fit at the time you see fit and yes you can change along the way as many times as you wish. There's nothing wrong with any approach so long as you understand what's going on in the background thermodynamically speaking.
  • Budjola
    Budjola Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    i binge on cabbage lol i know its strange but i could easily eat 2-3 lbs of cabbage a day if im not careful
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    One option is to buy sweets in single servings to have in the house - so, have a single candy bar or a single serving of ice cream, etc. That way they are available, yet there's no overindulging unless you actually leave the house to get more. You might see if that strikes a happy medium.
  • jla2425
    jla2425 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I use to binge on baking. Now i go for baking 3 ingredient chocllate pb muffins and theres only 116 cals each. I made my own date and coconut balls. I juat bake alot of sweet stuff and pop alot of popcorn for munching. Smoothie helps as well. Diet soda if u have to
  • tbirk
    tbirk Posts: 25 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    How about a cheat day? Maybe Friday you can have ONE soda or ONE dessert. I have small Hershey nuggets of chocolate to help satisfy my sweet tooth for very few calories. If you have room in your budget, you can put in half a piece of cake or a single cup of ice cream. Best of luck to you!
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I did. It will probably be difficult if I ever move in with a man or have a family. But for now, it works. I just don't keep calorie dense easily accessible food in the house. Right now if I wanted to binge on something it'd have to be like..lettuce and sugar free BBQ sauce.

That said I obviously limit a lot of foods BUT I do look forward to something more calorie dense once per week OUTSIDE of my home. Or if I want something sweet I will buy a single serving of something. I do have lower calorie alternatives as well.

This is what I do too. I have never been able to do the "eat what you love in moderation" thing. So instead I do the "lean meats and veggies in the house and eat whatever you want when you go out to dinner" thing.

If you like sweets halo top ice cream is your friend!! Oatmeal cookie, peanut butter cup, and mint chip are amazing.