Are You Also Living w/an Autoimmune Disorder or Chronic Condition & Looking to Get Fit Again?

Options
SFBoomr
SFBoomr Posts: 20 Member
I'm a Californian living with Lupus who was once thin and athletic. I would like to lose 15 pounds while regaining some muscle tone and cardiovascular fitness. Is there anyone else here with a chronic illness and similar goals?

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Chronic condition. My veins in my lower legs have refluxed, due to my legs being forced to carry too much me. It's managed with compression stockings and getting down to a healthy weight. So, day-to-day, it doesn't really impact me much beyond the annoyance of having to carry adhesive with me everywhere, in case the stockings fall.

However, if I break the skin on my lower left leg (scratch, insect bite, homicidal treadmill flinging me off the belt at 5.3 mph resulting in my grinding my calf into the carpet...), it's now slow to heal and very prone to infection. If I'm lucky, a topical antibiotic like Neosporin will do the trick, but otherwise it takes multiple courses of oral antibiotics. Which concerns me because building up a resistance could really mess me up. I missed flying to Florida for a family event a couple of months ago, because I had a bad cold and laryngitis and the last time I flew with a cold, I got an ear infection. Didn't want to risk that when it would mean more antibiotics to treat.

So. Right now, I'm trying to get down from a starting weight of 254 lbs to about 130. Vascular surgeon told me that walking was great for circulation and I take long walks and use a fitness glider. (Not giving the treadmill another shot at me!) And I'm doing strength training to preserve muscle.
  • stephgodsgirl
    stephgodsgirl Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi I have Fibromyalgia and Trigmenial Neuralgia, among a couple other pain issues. I know losing weight will help e get around better but exercise can be hard some days when I'm flaring up but doing my best. I have 100+ pounds to lose. I have no friends on here as of yet. Us with chronic conditions can do it just may take a little longer. :)
  • Byronic_Ryu
    Byronic_Ryu Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I have fibromyalgia, thyroid problems, and some other annoying stuff. Use to be able to do martial arts 5-6 days a week, now can barely take care of myself. Recently, I went back to hot yoga and currently doing it twice a week. I tried 3 times but flared up. It sucks but I am almost at my goal weight. My goal for the summer is to try to be more active in general. I will be starting treatment for one of my conditions next week so hopefully by the end of summer, I will be more capable of taking on more.
  • lesliecooki6038
    lesliecooki6038 Posts: 15 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Yes you're not alone, I've got thyroid problems, had 2 back surgeries, disc replacement in neck recently & needing to loose at least 30..for a start, add me anyone:)
  • Pearlsss
    Pearlsss Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am hypothyroid, fibro, was in a serious auto accident a few years back, a residual from that is I can't exercise much b/c it sets off my pain issues. I had to retire from a job I loved too. I feel stuck in neutral :(
  • jjc7322
    jjc7322 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm a 39 year old with polycystic kidney disease (PKD) and joined for a few reasons.
    Since being diagnosed at 28 I've rarely had any symptoms or complications until recently. My creatinine has gone up as has my blood pressure so I've come to the realization that dialysis or transplant is a stark reality in my future...hopefully far future. I want to be prepared and be in as good of shape as possible so when the time comes, I'll be as ready and with less chance of complications. I like running so I've gotten back on that kick lately. It's a slow pace..maybe a 4.5 on the treadmill, but it's something. I'm also up to almost 3 miles when running! I have also gotten back into yoga and meditation on my in between days so i can keep a peaceful and calm mind as this progresses.
    I could stand to lose 20 pounds but as mentioned above staying active and healthy is my main goal even if i don't lose a pound.
  • SFBoomr
    Options
    I've had fibromyalgia - in the past - including one extremely painful, months-long flare that left me bedridden. I ended up with "frozen shoulders" I lost nearly years of my life.
  • SFBoomr
    Options
    Pearlsss wrote: »
    Hi, I am hypothyroid, fibro, was in a serious auto accident a few years back, a residual from that is I can't exercise much b/c it sets off my pain issues. I had to retire from a job I loved too. I feel stuck in neutral :(

I'm sorry to hear about your pain. Are you able to walk one to three blocks every other day building up to every day? I had to force myself to try this when my fibromyalgia pain got down to a level where I could walk a block and back. My doctor suggested this. It really helped me

I had to quit working twenty years ago due to Lupus.

• BWilkSilly
    BWilkSilly Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry yall go through so much! Keeping high hopes for everyone and hope we all make our goals!! :):)
    Mine aren't as severe or really chronic, I don't know, but I had colon cancer and still have IBS and use to be anorexic while I was in competitive swimming.
    I sustained frontal lobe damaged from severe head trauma due to a car accident with my dad right after I got a severe concussion falling out of my dorm bed.
    This all gave my side affects of ADHD , depression, anxiety and PTSD (stuff went down)
    SO I was hospitalized for a while
    In the end I got bad eating habits and with my meds I can't afford that because in March I had kidney failure.
    It's hard. To focus and want to be good again, like we all have the motivational push but it's always something blocking. People say that it's okay you have "such and such" or "well remember your disabilities" but you hear it so much you can't accept it.
    The drive to keep going when it's rough and hurting is so stressful and hard but I know we can do it and it will be such a successful ending and I hope each and every single one of you makes your goals !
    Xoxoxo <3