Bananas - sodium

Options
Just read this in "consumer reports on health"

"It might see surprising that a smple banana could help you control the effect of sodium on your body, but it's true: Bananas are rich in potassium - the mineral that helps regulate sodium."

I have a problem with my salt intake so I thought maybe some others would be interested!

Replies

• ClareB1974
    ClareB1974 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I *think* dried apricots are a good source of potassium too :)
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Potassium is great for counter balancing sodium. I think potassium is a little underrated and doesn't get the attention it should like fat, carbs, protein, sodium receive. I eat a banana a day as best I can and also enjoy getting in cantaloupe (the number 1 source of potassium) when I can. I think upping my potassium has helped me with calve cramps and I have read about the benefits potassium offsets sodium.
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    Bananas are good for many, many things!
  • NatureRunnerGirl
    NatureRunnerGirl Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Bananas are a great sorce of Potassium! However be carfefull not to eat to many as they are loaded in sugar. I love them and could eat them all day!
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Yes, your potassium level should be between 2x your sodium to 5x your sodium. Gatorade is 5x. Fruit and vegetables are very high in potassium. If you choose the non-asterisked ones from the choices, and add potassium as one of the things you track in your diary, you will see how much potassium is in all of the fresh produce you eat.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    If you're having trouble reaching your potassium quota, try adding in some low-sodium V8, original flavor. a 10-oz glass has over 1000 mg of potassium. Love it. Potatoes prepared and eaten with the skin are also an excellent source of potassium.
  • LiL_MisS_C
    LiL_MisS_C Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    This is very much true. Bananas beat the bloat. I often have 1 when I'm feeliing a little puffy... works very well. :)
  • 16mixingbowls
    16mixingbowls Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I have noticed that I seldom get enough potassium. My settings show I need about 3500 mg a day. I never reach this. While reading up on potassium/salt balance, I read that many food items don't include their potassium content. One banana doesn't make it for me. When I track a banana, it looks like I would need to eat 10 bananas to meet the goal. Here are some veggies I found to be high in potassium:
    sun dried tomatoes (53%rda in one cup)
    spinach (5%rda in 1 cup raw)
    swiss chard (27% rda in one cup)
    mushrooms (12%rda in one cup)
    sweet potato with skin (27% rda in one cup)
    zucchini with skin (13% rda in one cup)
    green beans (7%rda in one cup)
    asparagus (*5rda in one cup)