What is the point of strength training if you can't build muscle while in a deficient?

Options
I've seen a lot of people saying that you can't build muscle while in a deficient. Is this true and if so, do you still get strong while working out or should I just stick to cardio until I get to my goal weight? Then start lifting and building muscle?

Replies

• Relax_Its_Just_Burpees
    Relax_Its_Just_Burpees Posts: 39 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    :|
    You can build muscles even though your eating less. Specially if you're new at the game and have lots of weight to lose.
    And if you don't have a lot of weight to lose you might want to recomp. That is burn fat and build muscles by eating at maintainans while lifting.

I Lost 35 kg and manage to build muscles. It can be done. Many people have done it and plenty keep doing it.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Lifting while you are losing helps retain muscle to help your body composition when you get down to goal. I would definitely start lifting now.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Those pics said it better than I ever could! Awesome job @bbell1985!!!!
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    Those pics said it better than I ever could! Awesome job @bbell1985!!!!

lolz too bad I bulked. Thanks!
  • tomorrowistoday0000
    tomorrowistoday0000 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    For example. This was my initial result from lifting in a deficit.

wpzmfwyf5a8x.jpg
    g3ujpqxpps3v.jpg
    dmmxy12h8ux2.jpg

You look amazing!
  • Relax_Its_Just_Burpees
    Options

wpzmfwyf5a8x.jpg
    g3ujpqxpps3v.jpg
    dmmxy12h8ux2.jpg

Great work
  • bbell1985
    Options
    Thanks guys. Um, I don't look like that anymore. But it is a thing I achieved once lol.
  • DanceMinx
    DanceMinx Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    @bbell1985 that was amazing!! What was your routine at that time?
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    You can absolutely get muscle while on a deficit. Unless you're already a bodybuilder and have lots of it and want more, you totally can.

I have no idea why the notion that you can't is still going around these forums. The mfp forums are usually very sound.

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Use it (muscles) or lose it. In a calorie deficit, it's much easier to lose it if you don't use it (muscles). So use it on purpose. Lift heavy now.
  • richardpkennedy1
    richardpkennedy1 Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options

wpzmfwyf5a8x.jpg
    g3ujpqxpps3v.jpg
    dmmxy12h8ux2.jpg

Wow. How much weight did you lose?
  • bbell1985
    Options

wpzmfwyf5a8x.jpg
    g3ujpqxpps3v.jpg
    dmmxy12h8ux2.jpg

Wow. How much weight did you lose?

I don't really know. That's the beauty of weight training. I lost from 163 to 133 originally, then I recomped and lost to 128.

Then I gained up to 144 and I'm finally around 138 again.
  • bbell1985
    Options
    DanceMinx wrote: »
    @bbell1985 that was amazing!! What was your routine at that time?

When I first started I was learning the lifts and just....lifting. Hitting all muscle groups twice per week. Then I started power lifting doing 5/3/1 and focusing mainly on compound lifts with little accessory work. I used SL 5x5 while cutting down the last of the fat but I don't recommend that. I'd just start with SL 5x5 or Strong Curves or something beginner.
  • mikenmar
    mikenmar Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    You can definitely get stronger at the same time you're losing weight. But you need to make sure you're getting enough protein.

The first time I lost major weight, I went from 225 to 175, all while lifting weights. But I did not get enough protein, and so I lost strength despite the fact that I was lifting heavily. I still looked pretty muscular at the end of it though. That was 18 years ago, when I was 30.

Unfortunately, I let myself go, and I ballooned up to 265 over the years!

Now I'm dieting again, and I've lost 45 pounds. I'm lifting heavily again, but this time, I'm monitoring my protein intake to ensure I get at least 200g daily. And despite the weight loss, I've gotten stronger. I'm pretty sure I've even put on a bit of muscle -- but not a lot. My goal is to get back down to 175, and then maybe I'll start bulking up with a caloric surplus.

Anyway, to answer the OP question: When you're lifting weights at the same time you're running a deficit, the fat drops off faster. And when it does, your muscles will start to pop. Instead of being thin and kind of flabby at the end, you'll be thin and hard. You'll look better sooner.