I need tips, tricks, and techniques for downhill running

Options
I'm just starting out and I have bad knees. I popped the left kneecap out when I slipped on some snow my freshman year of college and I've had problems with it ever since. I've tried to compensate with my right knee since then, and at my weight, both knees are just tired of me. But I've begun running and training with the C25K. Everything is fine except for the downhill portions, and that just murders my knees.

Advice?

Replies

• minnesota
    minnesota Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I can't say this is the right thing for bad knees, but in Runner's World Magazine that recommend to lean back and just make long strides and let your body take you down the hills. I do this and I zip down the hills, but I don't have bad knees so I can't say it would be the best thing for it.

I'm sorry you have knee problems, but you are amazing for running anyway.

I hope you find a solution.

Good luck to you and happy running
  • paradog
    paradog Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I would suggest walking down hill before running. There is no secret to do it, but if your knees arent ready then you need to strengthen them first. I love to run and can complete a 10k without stopping but I still think the benefits of walking are worth an honest try! I do both....
  • Victafan
    Victafan Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Check out runnersworld.com. They have lots of great advice on running techniques. Also, if you haven't already get to a good shoe store, some place that caters to runners (we have a Fleet Feet here in Rochester). And believe me, they don't care if you run a 5 minute mile or are out just walking, they are always glad to see people out getting fit. A good pair of shoes, designed for your foot strike and needs can make a world of difference.

Good Luck! Take care of those knees!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Danny Dreyer, the author of Chi Running, says that the best way to deal with knee pain on running downhill is to draw attention away from your quads and knees and focus on the backs of your legs, which is where the main shock-absorbing muscles are located. When you’re running downhill, land with more of your weight on your heels than on the front of your foot. He also says to relax your legs as much as possible when running downhill.

Hope that helps!
  • innerfashionista
    innerfashionista Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    Tuck and roll! LOL just kidding!
    I've read to take shorter strides and try and keep your hips over your feet (I think that's what they said). Try not to lean forward.

Runners World has some good tips.
  • SmartFunGorgeous
    SmartFunGorgeous Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Tuck and roll! LOL just kidding!

This is probably the one I will need to resort to! :sad: lol

Thanks for all the advice. I have checked out Runner's World, and it looks like the best thing for me to do at this point is to either walk the downhills (which hurts worse, actually, because that's all I'm focused on; with running I'm focusing on my pace and breathing, so I don't notice the knee pain as much!) OR take it easy on my downhill runs, putting my weight on my quads and heels more. Until I've lost more weight, I will just accept that downhills are going to be painful and SLOW. Maybe once I'm smaller my knees will be able to deal better. Honestly, though, I'm shocked with how well I've done so far. Today's run was GREAT! :flowerforyou: