Help me!

Options
I've lost some of my motivation to keep going with weight loss. Tell me what helps you when you just want to give up!

Replies

• 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,491 Member
    Options
    The only way to fail is quit.

It's not rocket science. A calorie deficit will result in weight loss. A good training program will increase fitness. But you have to be able to live with your program. And you have to allow time for it all to work. Do those things and it will work. Can't not work.

If it's not working, adjust and keep adjusting until you get it right. If your lack of motivation is due to the time factor, it's your own brain trying to wreck you. Push back.

I told myself I didn't want to die fat or die from being fat. I told myself I deserved to succeed, that I was a worthy cause. A hard sell when you weigh 285lbs and sleep with a CPAP.

Motivation is not dependable. Look inside for some determination. Develop good habits, things will be easier. Good luck.
  • SABoj
    SABoj Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Having a good support & accountability system helps a great deal. (Even on those days you just feel like crap.) They can help you find your why - your real motivation.
    There are some good communities within MFP and friends are supportive. Don't give up. Stay strong and continue to build your support system. Feel free to add me to your support system too... good luck!
  • lruff1987
    lruff1987 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    88olds wrote: »
    The only way to fail is quit.

It's not rocket science. A calorie deficit will result in weight loss. A good training program will increase fitness. But you have to be able to live with your program. And you have to allow time for it all to work. Do those things and it will work. Can't not work.

If it's not working, adjust and keep adjusting until you get it right. If your lack of motivation is due to the time factor, it's your own brain trying to wreck you. Push back.

I told myself I didn't want to die fat or die from being fat. I told myself I deserved to succeed, that I was a worthy cause. A hard sell when you weigh 285lbs and sleep with a CPAP.

Motivation is not dependable. Look inside for some determination. Develop good habits, things will be easier. Good luck.

I didn't say what I've been doing hasn't been working. I'm just having a bad mental day and needed some encouragement, that's all. I'm aware it's not "rocket science."
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I take a diet break! Or try to focus on something else. Hugs.
  • kastephens11
    kastephens11 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I always think about how far I have come and how satisfying it is to see my completed diary. I know that if I skip a workout, I might keep skipping and I don't want to do that. It also helps having some great friends on your profile to help with motivation and be there for support.
  • spiffychick85
    spiffychick85 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    For me I will take a few days and eat at maintenance to break the monotony of it all. Then I feel refreshed to keep going and jump back into a deficit :)
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I'm pretty real with myself that motivation is useless and can't be found from anyone else. Dedication, on the other hand, means you get it done, whether you want to or not. It can work for intake or workouts. There are plenty of times I don't want to go on my run or go lift. But if I don't, I'll wish that I did. So there's no point in feeling ashamed for not getting a workout done when I could do it and go about the rest of my day.
  • Stacius
    Stacius Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    The only thing that helps me when I want to give up and just eat what I want: I focus on my only goal. For me, I am a recent cosplayer and I look back on my photos of my past convention I went too and see my fat face and go "Ugh, I never want to look like that again at a convention". IF that still doesn't work, I eat one thing that is "bad", but still track it and fit it into my calories for the day. I end up feeling crap after eating it after eating so good for a while so it reinforces the knowledge that I will always enjoy the taste of eating healthy, fresh food.

There's also the thought that I would walk around day in and day out hating my body and just wanting it to get slimmer, but I know nothing will magically make me thin and that I just have to get on with it and do it.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,491 Member
    Options
    Sorry you were offended.