Scared to lose weight?

Options
So, for the last couple of days, I have been contemplating me being under 200 lbs. I have never been under 200 lbs in my adult life. I'm 31. Not old, but not young. I have been told I don't act like a 31 year old (I've contemplated that and don't know what a typical 31 year old should act like, so I've moved on from that thought process). Anyway, so I was thinking: "Me, under 200 lbs. Me at 175 lbs. Me at 150 pounds???"

And then fear.

You'd think I'd be excited about this, and yet...fear. I don't get it. I was told as I grew up (by my mom, sister and peers) that I am fat and ugly and worthless. I've dealt with those issues in the not too distant past, so maybe this is just residual from that?

I'm opting to pray about it, through it, and move on. Initially I asked God to show me WHY there is fear, but then I realized that the why isn't quite as important as the getting through it and so I asked God to replace that fear with His love and grace and glory. I know it's going to take time, but has anyone else dealt with this? ~ Brandy

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,224 Member
    Options
    Not knowing you I cannot say why you feel this way, but you seem to be working through it in your own mind well. I know that often we identify who we are by various things, some not very good. This is true from things like weight among others. When those things change it means something that was part of one's identity is no longer there, thus fear. Since you are a believer strive to derive your identity from Jesus who did what he did to make us who we really. I'm not sure if that is making any sense as I am tired and reading it over it seems I am missing something but can't figure out what. Keep praying and looking to God.
  • megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    The first time I lost the weight I didn't really know how big I was. I never allowed pictures to be taken of me and I never looked in a mirror so I really just didn't know. I just knew I was fat. So when I started losing weight and I would see the bones in my hands and wrist I was like, "oh my god, I'm too skinny!" in reality, I was still obese, my mind was completely warped at the time.
    So, I sort of know what you're talking about but losing weight is nothing to fear. It's getting you healthier.
  • annalyn89
    annalyn89 Posts: 1
    Options
    Psalm 139:13-16
    13 For you created my inmost being;
    you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
    14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
    your works are wonderful,
    I know that full well.
    15 My frame was not hidden from you
    when I was made in the secret place,
    when I was woven together in the depths of the earth.
    16 Your eyes saw my unformed body;
    all the days ordained for me were written in your book
    before one of them came to be.

You are wonderfully made! You are beautiful! It makes me upset that someone would EVER look at a person and judge them based on their looks. It really doesn't matter what you look like on the outside, because eventually, like every other person who has walked this earth, your body will fade. It's wonderful that you have a goal to lose weight and be healthier, but don't be scared about it, because the you on the inside isn't going to change with the pounds lost on the scale. Focus on the wonderful you that's your personality and then there is nothing to be afraid about. I hope this helps!
  • missfittin_missy
    missfittin_missy Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Maybe youre afraid that once you lose the weight you still wont be "good enough" but I assure you God doesn't mess up and he made you to be beautiful as he saw fit! Good luck with your weight loss!
  • TiniTurtle
    TiniTurtle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Psalm 139:13-16
    13 For you created my inmost being;
    you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
    14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
    your works are wonderful,
    I know that full well.
    15 My frame was not hidden from you
    when I was made in the secret place,
    when I was woven together in the depths of the earth.
    16 Your eyes saw my unformed body;
    all the days ordained for me were written in your book
    before one of them came to be.

You are wonderfully made! You are beautiful! It makes me upset that someone would EVER look at a person and judge them based on their looks. It really doesn't matter what you look like on the outside, because eventually, like every other person who has walked this earth, your body will fade. It's wonderful that you have a goal to lose weight and be healthier, but don't be scared about it, because the you on the inside isn't going to change with the pounds lost on the scale. Focus on the wonderful you that's your personality and then there is nothing to be afraid about. I hope this helps!

thank you for sharing this ♥
  • SunshineKisses_2012
    SunshineKisses_2012 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Thank you to one and all!! You have given me a lot to pray about as I unpack. I'm so glad I posted this and thankful for each one of you!!
  • Debbisue52
    Debbisue52 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I think it's normal to fear the unknown. Will it change me? Will I act different? What if I don't like the "new me"? I used to fear the idea that men might start talking to me and I wouldn't know how to act. Most people don't know this about me but, I am shy when I am around men. Fortunately I don't have to worry too much about that because I am married.
    I think, as time goes by and you start losing, you will feel good about yourself and you will adjust. Try not to focus so much on the future...you don't want the fear to mess with your head...it might cause you to give up on your journey. Just take it a day at a time and don't worry about what might be. You're a beautiful person, you deserve to be happy, and you shouldn't let anything stand in the way of your endeavor! Good luck!
  • damcool
    damcool Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    My heart goes out to you. I don't know if this is the same thing, but every month I was fearful of losing weight. With every 5 lbs lost I thought "This is it! I'm not going to lose anymore weight. What if after all this work, I'm still going to be fat!" Every single weigh in (once a month) I thought this. I just had to keep telling myself that God knows my heart and He knows that I want to get healthy. It's a pretty crazy psychological game we play with ourselves. I read somewhere that we spend to much time "listening" to ourselves rather than "talking" to ourselves. We need to keep telling ourselves the truth, not lies...I hope you have a wonderful journey to what you want to become! :)
  • JoLeeFA
    JoLeeFA Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    The things your said in here could be me! I am 39 and started at 278. I have lost 14 pounds so far.

I was also told I was fat and ugly when I was a teen.

Last year, I lost 40 pounds, freaked out, quit and gained 43 back. Here is what I learned about myself, see if you can relate - -

I have such a distrorted self image from the emotional abuse, that I need help overcoming this.
    When I noticed that I looked different, lots of things immediately hit my mind, "I don't know how to NOT be fat." "Can I be tough and be thin?" "Is my husband one of those guys who prefer larger women?" "Does being smaller leave me vunerable?"

So much was fear of the unknown. My way to deal with this now. I know that I can't do this on my own. I am interviewing therapist next week. I will find a good Christian based therapist to talk this through with. I think that unloading this on friends, husband, or family is unfair. Sure they are willing to listen. But I can't expect them to be trained in helping me find solutions.

This is just me - - - but maybe you can relate.
  • SunshineKisses_2012
    SunshineKisses_2012 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    My heart goes out to you. I don't know if this is the same thing, but every month I was fearful of losing weight. With every 5 lbs lost I thought "This is it! I'm not going to lose anymore weight. What if after all this work, I'm still going to be fat!" Every single weigh in (once a month) I thought this. I just had to keep telling myself that God knows my heart and He knows that I want to get healthy. It's a pretty crazy psychological game we play with ourselves. I read somewhere that we spend to much time "listening" to ourselves rather than "talking" to ourselves. We need to keep telling ourselves the truth, not lies...I hope you have a wonderful journey to what you want to become! :)

I weighed in this morning, a mere week since my initial weigh in, and I lost 4 pounds somewhere. I'm not sure where it went, I'm not about to go look for it, but when the scale read 269, I was pleased as a plum! Then my mind started. My prior weight loss attempt had netted me a loss down to 258. Not bad, right? Then I decided, eh, I can eat whatever I want, and back up I went. I haven't been below 258 since before my son was born (actually, I was 265 when I got pregnant, so I'm currently 4 lbs away from that little glass ceiling). Part of me is afraid that I'm going to keep going and trying and logging and doing...and then 'm going to not see any results. I WANT to be healthy. I WANT to feel like I can get up and do anything with the youth at my church instead of being afraid that I'm going to injure myself by walking down a trail. Frankly, I WANT to get up in the morning and, when the urge to get out and jog hits me, I can do it without fearing my knee is going to give out.

Today I chose to live in victory and not in fear. Thank you so much for responding! <3