Journey

Options
So me and my boyfriend have started keto almost 2 weeks ago, idk how much he's wanting to lose, but I'm trying to lose around 70lbs give or take. After high school is when I started gaining the weight. Stopped doing things and eating whatever and stoped sports altogether. Which caused more stress in my life, amongst other things. After 6 years, we finally decided to try something new. I'm lazy sometimes depending on my mood. So keto, and light exercise was the best way to go for me. He exercises daily. Keto, is pretty much where you keep a goal of very low carbs a day, but eat things that are high in fat, also I stay away from sugar. Lost 7lbs so far. And starting to feel better. Sigh. I still have a long ways to go, but hopefully I'll make it through. :)

Replies

• Skyle33
    Skyle33 Posts: 43 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Be careful, ketogenic diets are not to be maintained for extended periods of time, so for 70 pounds? You can be the judge as you go through it. I say go for it just make sure you are not actually in ketosis for that entire duration, it will deplete you of proper nutrients needed to survive and function properly. Carbs are very necessary so include healthy/slow digesting carbs and fiber around the clock, also be sure to include healthy fats for what you are consuming. If fatigue never sets in for you, maybe you are more fit to handle the deficit than others but that doesn't mean the effects aren't there, just keep monitoring your progress. Keto diets are not the healthiest method for weight loss, but it does work (I've done it) and some just want to speed through it ( I did it for fun/the experience), just do your research and stay on top of things to avoid damaging your body or affecting performance and depleting nutrients. Best of luck to you ;)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Your body makes its own sugar, so carbs aren't "necessary". A balanced and nutritious diet is necessary, no matter what diet you choose. Keto may not be necessary, but it may be effective. The main threat of keto, like any other diet, is boredom. Adhering to calorie deficit is what creates weight loss, so finding a diet you like, helps a lot.