Options
2»

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Bigpuma100 wrote: »
    Carbs after 8pm

I don't have a problem eating complex carbs at night, depends on my goals.
    Athletes shouldn't worry to much about what time to eat.

What about people who aren't athletes?
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I'm recovering from facet joint syndrome. I train for powerlifting and have not squat or deadlifted in 5 weeks. Once my pain is gone, how should I go about adding/programming in my squats and deads using a DUP style program?
  • Bigpuma100
    Bigpuma100 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    It's OK I new there will be people asking those types of questions.

Question 1 Depends on your weight and what is your actual goal. if you're exercising everyday, or if you're a pro athlete. For example my weight is 250 when I'm training hard I will have an intake of around 200 g of protein a day. When I don't work out I will lower the intake around 150 g. It's hard to give actual numbers without knowing your body composition. So calculate if a person weighs 165 pounds they should be consuming 55 to 65 grams of protein as an average Joe. If your working out those days you should be consuming more. You just have to be careful to not over do the intake of protein as it can turn into fat. Protein shakes can help, but it's always better to eat food with all macronutrients. If you want more actual numbers to give you, you can private message me with your actual weight etc...

Question 2 This depends also on your body composition. Doing both is a good idea, so you don't get burned out on just cardio or strength training. If I'm on a nutrient plan to loose % body fat I do more cardio and light weight training. Lots of intervals where I keep my heart rate up. Your diet is key if you're trying to loose % fat and gaining muscle. You need to maintain your daily calorie intake to sustain muscle growth.

If you still have questions please feel free to ask.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/excess-protein-and-fat-storage-qa.html/

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/nutrient-intake-nutrient-storage-and-nutrient-oxidation.html

Question 1 Depends on your weight and what is your actual goal. if you're exercising everyday, or if you're a pro athlete. For example my weight is 250 when I'm training hard I will have an intake of around 200 g of protein a day. When I don't work out I will lower the intake around 150 g. It's hard to give actual numbers without knowing your body composition. So calculate if a person weighs 165 pounds they should be consuming 55 to 65 grams of protein as an average Joe. If your working out those days you should be consuming more. You just have to be careful to not over do the intake of protein as it can turn into fat. Protein shakes can help, but it's always better to eat food with all macronutrients. If you want more actual numbers to give you, you can private message me with your actual weight etc...

Question 2 This depends also on your body composition. Doing both is a good idea, so you don't get burned out on just cardio or strength training. If I'm on a nutrient plan to loose % body fat I do more cardio and light weight training. Lots of intervals where I keep my heart rate up. Your diet is key if you're trying to loose % fat and gaining muscle. You need to maintain your daily calorie intake to sustain muscle growth.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/excess-protein-and-fat-storage-qa.html/

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/nutrient-intake-nutrient-storage-and-nutrient-oxidation.html
    f

The first article is describing an athlete whom will never have a problem with protein turning into fat.
    For someone that does not burn calories as much as an athlete and intakes accessive amount of protein it will turn into fat.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

f

The first article is describing an athlete whom will never have a problem with protein turning into fat.
    For someone that does not burn calories as much as an athlete and intakes accessive amount of protein it will turn into fat.

Won't any excess calories turn to fat?
  • Bigpuma100
    Options
    Correct, if energy is not being used yes
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

f

1) The first article is about no such thing. I have no idea where you got that from. In fact, at the end of the article he explicitly states:
    So, as noted above, while the pathway exists for protein to be stored as fat, and folks will continue to claim that ‘excess protein just turns to fat’, it’s really just not going to happen under any sort of real-world situation. Certainly we can dream up odd theoretical situations where it might but those won’t apply to 99.9% of real-world situations.

2) Define "excessive".
  • Bigpuma100
    Options
    I disagree
  • Bigpuma100
    Options
    Protein is the last source of energy for the body to use. Carbs digest the quickest and is the main source of energy. If you intake excessive amount of protein some will flush out and the rest will turn into glucose then fat. In one sitting your body only needs 30 to 40 grams of protein.
  • Bigpuma100
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I'm recovering from facet joint syndrome. I train for powerlifting and have not squat or deadlifted in 5 weeks. Once my pain is gone, how should I go about adding/programming in my squats and deads using a DUP style program?

How did you injure your facet joint? Accident ? Fall?
  • holisticallyEmily
    holisticallyEmily Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hey y'all! Food is my foe! I need help with healthy, filling, cheap, meals/snacks. I really need to monitor what I put in my body and how much. Any tips? <3
  • evansjoe
    evansjoe Posts: 4 Member
    Options

• evansjoe
    evansjoe Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm new to this site used the app a few years ago and lost a stone in weight, last September I had major surgery and have put weight back on
  • Bigpuma100
    Options

Then what did you disagree on, because I'm

An article was posted about protein can not turn into fat.

I disagreed

Again, you can disagree with science but that doesn't change it. Protein won't turn to fat for the same reasons carbs won't turn to fat. Cause your body doesn't have a static "I first burn this, then this then, this" flowchart. What your body will do if you have more carbs than you'd technically need is it increases the amount it burns because it's more hassle to store carbs as fat than to store fat as fat. The same thing is true for protein but to an even greater extent like the article said. BTW. at rest it's fat that provides the most of your energy needs, not carbs.

Your last statement I agree with in regards to fat.
    You have your resources I have mine.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    So far I see you disagreeing with @anvil_head and @stevencloser.

I think that answers any questions I might have had.

Right?!? :D
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Correct, if energy is not being used yes

So, exactly how would "excess" protein turn to fat in a caloric deficit?
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    ^^ my question