I need new measuring cups...

Options
I have 3 sets of dry measuring cups and they are all different from each other when you compare how much they hold. I have no idea which set is correct, if any. How do I find a set that is accurate? I use them for measuring ingredients for dinner so i can input homemade recipes and obviously for baking. My mom, who is a kitchen pro said "these don't seem right" when she visited.
Any help to find a nice, accurate set would be appreciated!! [Amazon links welcome, as i have amazon gift cards to spend.]

Thanks!

Replies

• missfittin_missy
    missfittin_missy Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I rely on my scales more than my measuring cups. Feels more accurate?
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    That's really strange, I've never had a problem and I have about 3 or 4 different sets drifting around. I would just maybe buy a name-brand, maybe spend a little more. I don't think you need to do much more than that.
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I rely on my scales more than my measuring cups. Feels more accurate?

I cannot get used to "using" cups!! So scales for me too.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    In kitchen supplies, more expensive usually means better (to a point, at least). I don't know if they make measuring cups, but Pampered Chef is a really good brand. That being said, if it's only a small variation, it's probably not going to make a lot of difference.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
  • Debbisue52
    Debbisue52 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I never noticed a difference in measuring cups. But, I never checked them....lol. What I hate is....I have 2 sets of measuring cups, plastic, and the measurement of each cup is painted on. The paint is washing off over time and there is no markings left!
  • authson
    authson Posts: 233
    Options
    william sonoma
  • nguyenedward
    nguyenedward Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have been using some cheap plastic ones from Wal-Mart. As long as it gets the job done, it's good! But, I would like some higher end stainless steel ones though.
  • KHaverstick
    KHaverstick Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Expensive, but I got some recently from Williams Sonoma. They also have odd-size measuring cups and spoons (2/3 cup, 1 1/2 cup, etc).
  • Shenanstigator
    Options
    Nothing is more accurate than a scale. Measuring cups rely on volume which can differ greatly based on humidity, the size things are cut in, whether the item is packed into the cup, etc. Weight is weight is weight. I can't remember the brand of mine, but it was about $40, easily switches from gram to ounce, and weighs up to 11# which is great for baking.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,717 Member
    Options
    That is one of the coolest things I've ever seen. Thank you!
  • reagansmom05
    Options
    thanks for the suggestions everyone! i would like some stainless steel ones too! i happened to be at walmart today and so i looked at name brand ones, they were the same as 2 of my sets, so i think it's just one that is off. i think it was a set that came with a set of liquid measuring cups. i think they might be closer to liquid measurements because they certainly aren't anywhere near the size of dry ones. very strange!!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Or perhaps you have stumbled on measuring cups that are in UK or Australian sizes - our cup holds 250ml and I beleive that a US cup is 230ish mls.