Forks over knifes

Options
chersei
chersei Posts: 9 Member
Going to try the forks over Knifes, salt , oil and sugar free lifestyle. Anyone else out there doing this ? I could some support for this change in lifestyle

Replies

• Rufftimes
    Rufftimes Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Never heard of it, but abandoned the sugar months ago!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    You can pry my salt out of my cold dead hands. I love salt and add it to everything. Including coffee.

I eat way too many fruits, vegetables and dairy to quit sugar.

Oil... Not bothered by that one. I get fat from plenty of other places. Cooking in butter is wonderful!
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    What is this? A new twist on Forks Over Knives? Sounds pretty limiting. I hope you can do this forever.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I assume you mean added sugar (Forks over Knives is a whole foods plant based diet, no? so would have to have lots of vegetables and fruit). I think that if you don't eat a lot of added sugar there's no need to worry about eating a little added sugar, and I don't (although my current macros don't allow for much at all anyway).

Salt, no, I see no reason to quit it, think it makes a difference to flavor when used in cooking. I don't add it to cooked food, though, no need. But if you think there's a reason for you to quit it, try it. (It is possible to get too little sodium, though, especially if you are active.)

Oil, again, I don't personally see the reason, and I would consider olive oil, coconut oil (extra virgin), and avocado oils ways that make healthful foods taste even better and add some healthy fat. Butter is nice too, though (although I'm sure it's also out on WFPB).

Plant based -- no, not currently for me, but if you feel a calling to do that, good for you and I hope you enjoy it. Whole foods, yeah, I mostly do cook from whole foods because I tend to enjoy doing so and find I personally (not everyone, but me) tends to eat more healthfully when I do that. I don't go 100% with it, and think on the whole that would be really difficult and not worth the bother, especially since I have a tendency to get too obsessive with things, which undermines me.

My only concern would be that that does seem really, really restrictive, especially if it's a huge change, but if it feels right to you and you want to try it, go for it. I WOULD make sure to check out some other sources, though, as the "animal products and oils and salt are all unhealthy in any amounts" is not really a well-supported position, IMO. Generally "documentaries" of this sort (they are really advocacy pieces, much like those Michael Moore does) should be taken with a grain, well, shaker of salt.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    You need healthy fats and protein.

ref: https://www.westonaprice.org/health-topics/abcs-of-nutrition/characteristics-of-traditional-diets/

That said, I have been eating quasi-keto / paleo / gluten free and trying to watch my FODMAPS and that has helped a lot. 40 lbs / 4 inches in 6 months. (And, I am not overly compliant. I do try to hover around 1400 calories, but, I am not strict about that either.)

No cravings really (in that I am not obsessing about what I am not eating, and, my office is right above the take out that has steak fries). I do try to eat more fermented foods (miso, kimchi) and various fungi and I limit dairy to 160 gms of yogurt a day. I try to include all forms of coconut every day.

The fermented foods seem to be key... if your gut is working properly, it's kind of like compost. You need enzymes to make sure you are getting good nutrition. If your nutrition is good, then you are nourished and things fall into place.
  • KimsHealthJourney
    KimsHealthJourney Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I watched Forks over Knives about 2 weeks ago and I really liked it. I wasn't surprised either with the obesity information or health risks to eating unhealthy foods. I have however cleaned up my eating by quite a bit since about April or May. I love sweets. One of my biggest issues is sugars. I love my sugar and can't seem to find easy ways to lower my intakes on certain things.

I'm eating healthier than I used to though, which is an impressive change for me as I am severely overweight. I set small goals for myself so they seem attainable. I have a very long journey. But I believe this is not a diet but a lifestyle change which is the truth and what I need to believe to be successful and healthier.

I do make healthier choices than I used to and am moving more than I used to. Activity and water is important. Aside from my 2 cups of morning coffee (with sugar and creamer), I typically only drink water throughout the day. I have moved away from pop which I didn't drink too much of before. And I also find that when I get up earlier, I usually find myself more energetic to get more activity in throughout the day.

I am trying to go to bed earlier and get up earlier and get my body onto a consistent schedule that way. That has helped me a lot lately as well!!

Good luck to you and I hope you find yourself feeling better through this journey!!!
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Oh HELLNO!!! Ok mostly cut sugar out but there is no way you are taking my salt and oil away and feeding me plants ...

With that said, all the best :)
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    chersei wrote: »
    Going to try the forks over Knifes, salt , oil and sugar free lifestyle. Anyone else out there doing this ? I could some support for this change in lifestyle

Nope - you might cut added sugar, but switching to a plant-based lifestyle will actually force you to eat sugar since sugar is present in ALL fruits and vegetables.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,659 Member
    Options
    chersei wrote: »
    Extremes usually don't last. There's NOTHING wrong with the above if you DISCIPLINE yourself on how to moderately have them in your diet. That's the lifestyle change, not elimination.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
  • ThePoeToaster
    ThePoeToaster Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    I have been following FoK for a month now. I couldn't have made a better choice. Plenty of protein in plant resources. Much better for your digestion and your heart. People who eat animal protein do so out of TASTE, not NEED. I have special health problems (dialysis) that require me to get my blood tested regularly. My doctors and nurses couldn't be happier with my test results. Go for it and don't look back!