Does eating late at night cause you to gain weight?

Options
So I am going on a diet and im wondering if eating at night will have a negative impact on my weight loss. I don't eat breakfast or lunch and tend to have dinner between 7 and 10pm. Will this have a negative impact on weight loss and if so what time would it be better for me to eat my dinner.

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Nope, meal timing is irrelevant for weight loss.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Lucas2998 wrote: »
    So I am going on a diet and im wondering if eating at night will have a negative impact on my weight loss. I don't eat breakfast or lunch and tend to have dinner between 7 and 10pm. Will this have a negative impact on weight loss and if so what time would it be better for me to eat my dinner.

nope, eating more calories than you need will cause you to gain weight
  • ZephieC
    ZephieC Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    So long as you stay under your calories for the day you are fine.
  • GoldenEye_
    GoldenEye_ Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    As long as you stay within your daily calorie allowance it doesn't matter when you eat.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    No. I eat most of my calories after 730pm most days and have no issues losing weight.

If eating late causes you to have poor sleep then it may be worth considering stopping eating a few hours before you go to bed.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    nope - I eat probably 60% of my calories in the evening, to include a bowl of cereal right before bed (and it causes me to sleep like a baby) - focusing on recomp overall (and down 3.5%BF in 5mths)
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    For some people, eating right before bed can give them acid reflux which can disturb their sleep. Barring this, eating before bed is perfectly fine as long as you've not exceeded your calories for the day.

Your digestion and metabolism don't go to sleep when you do. :)