Going camping - 1week, middle of nowhere no fridge, what can I pack?

Options
Going camping in France - real countryside with walking paths close by! However I just realized....

I have to pack a weeks worth of food, no fridge, and make it healthy!

Please help - any ideas?
Anyone done this before?

Replies

• chrissywelsh10
    chrissywelsh10 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I have a stove!
  • manhnguyen123
    manhnguyen123 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Tuna, nuts, fruits like mangos that are high in carbs.
  • chrissywelsh10
    Options
    Tuna, nuts, fruits like mangos that are high in carbs.
    Tunas a good one - that would work, I could do that a few days too - thanks!
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Tinned beef slices, hot dog sausages
    Any tinned mate really
    Oat/porridge pots, just add water
    Protein/carb bars
    Bread and peanut butter
    Nuts

• spatter01
    spatter01 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am having the same struggle. How to keep it on track while camping in the wilderness (Adirondacks for me). Are you backpacking? For me, rice side dish packs - not as good as plain rice but it is something. Tuna is good and the foil packs are pretty lightweight. I have also brought canned chicken. Dehydrated backpacking food is ok but it is expensive. Youtube has a lot of experienced backpackers sharing what they bring and it is worth checking out.
  • KevHex
    KevHex Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Hi, how about beef jerky, tins of mackerel in tomato sauce, tins of tuna, bananas, apples. There must be loads more, but my mind has gone blank.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Dried / dehydrated food is light weight. Plan your meals and your daily calories and make a menu. That way you can ensure that you pack the right amount. Depending on where you go, there will be people / markets where you can pick up fresh produce and cheese. Don't neglect your healthy fats -- your body / muscles will thank you. Also, if you have access to Asian markets (in the city) before you go they sell a lot of dehydrated things, like seaweeds, fish (bonito flakes make an excellent protein broth), shrimp, mushrooms, and some veggies.

Ref: https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/planning-menu.html
  • liftorgohome
    liftorgohome Posts: 25,455 Member
    Options
    Brown beans
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Cans of stuff. It's been 15 years since I lived there but they have a LOT of tasty options of prepared canned food (regional dishes and whatnot). They sell very tasty soups over there too (come in cartons), if you can stock up at a store close by on the way there.

Is it an option at all to pack a cooler and go to a store a couple times during the week to buy ice and perishable foods?
  • NoLimitFemme
    NoLimitFemme Posts: 118 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    My family and I hike and do not used canned/tinned food when hiking. It will accumulate too much weight and when backpacking that's a huge issue. You're going to want high calorie foods with low weight. Peanut butter is great but I'd recommend pouches or bags rather tha a jar. Dehydrated food is great and nutritious and light weiht. You can do this at home either a dehydrator or in the oven. Prepackaged food I'd recommend: peanut butter pouches, tuna pouches, rice and beans quick foods (like Rice Roni or Uncle Bens), oatmeal, jerky and flavored water enhancers.

Will you have access to water or will you be carrying that as well?
  • chrissywelsh10
    Options
    Will be carrying water too
  • tabletop_joe
    tabletop_joe Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Tasty Bites pouches to mix in with rice.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Soy/other non-dairy milks do not require refrigeration until opened. Get the tetra-packs. I've done three days with no stove. Main staple was a pasta salad with roasted vegetables in vinaigrette.