Weighing in....

Options
How often Shud I weigh in?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    You should weigh yourself as often as you like. I weigh daily when I get up, after peeing, and track my weight on a trending app (libra) to follow the trend. Weight fluctuates daily so the app evens out the fluctuations and shows your general trend- when you can see your weight is going down, random high days don't freak you out so much!
  • mommachristel1984
    mommachristel1984 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You should weigh yourself as often as you like. I weigh daily when I get up, after peeing, and track my weight on a trending app (libra) to follow the trend. Weight fluctuates daily so the app evens out the fluctuations and shows your general trend- when you can see your weight is going down, random high days don't freak you out so much!

Well I purposely don't have a scale cuz I tend to over do it n put myself down to much, I have suffered anorexia n balemia when I was younger n I can see myself easily going back into that mind frame this is why I ask..... Just nervous I guess bout it all
  • Rob_in_MI
    Rob_in_MI Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    At least once a day for me. It helps me understand the fluctuations versus what my food choices do to my body.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,107 Member
    Options
    If you find it discouraging to see normal fluctuations on the scale, don't get one. You can always go weigh yourself somewhere less frequently. Go by the fit of your clothes, take progress pics, take your measurements instead.
  • bethany_rose8
    bethany_rose8 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I don't think you need to weigh more than once every month given your past experiences. I have suffered from both myself.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every Monday before my Zumba class. And I view the numbers I see as simple information, not a referendum on my self worth. If the scale is showing progress, great. If I see no progress, oh well. Over the course of weeks, I've seen a slow trend in the direction I want to go. I used to beat myself up when I saw a number I didn't like, but that's so counter-productive. I just decided to treat myself the way I'd treat a friend and cheer myself on for every day that I show up at the gym. I hope you can find your way to a mindset that is more self-encouraging.
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    In your situation I would weigh at the doctor's office or similar once a month. That way you don't have to stress about it and risk harming your recovery from disordered eating.
  • happyauntie2015
    happyauntie2015 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    In your situation I would skip the scale for now and go by measurements. We are more than a scale going up or down
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week
  • mcafton
    mcafton Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    daily can be discouraging because it fluctuates a little. aim for around same time of day. I weigh myself regularly, but once a week is probably more of an indicator or real weight loss.
  • merekins
    merekins Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day and log into Happy Scale which only allows a single entry for the day. As someone that gets obsessive, Happy Scale has really helped keep me calm during this process. I'm ok with logging weight higher than it was yesterday as it gives you a moving average as well as gives you a forgivable graph. That graph shows you what you weighed a month ago and the same date which is encouraging to see how far you've come and hat you are making progress.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Are your clothes getting looser? You could go that route.
  • spiffychick85
    spiffychick85 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I was anorexic as well and I tend to obsess over my scale...even now I can't pass it without hopping on it, the difference is now I'm curious to see the ebb and flow of the numbers throughout the day and find it oddly calming and refuse to panic over what it reads. I do not recommend it though if you feel it's a potential trigger...measurements are the way to go. Progress photos are also an eye opener because I don't mentally see my weight loss in the mirror....I never did which was part of my problem, but side by side photos don't lie to me (well as long as they're unfiltered ;) )
  • tahilson
    tahilson Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I say once a week because you can easily get discouraged. Try weighing in at the same time and I even wear the same outfit