lets not forget the abs

Options
hi,

after years of being a mfp member i've decided to take it seriously once and for all, kinda wish i hadn't given up so many times in the past, but thats another story,,,,, anyway i'm very close to my goal weight and exercising 5-6 times a week (running and aerobics) but my abs seem to resist, although there is an obvious change i'd like to tone them some what but i'm not to keen on the typical sit ups and similar ab exercises.... any ideas?

thanks;

p.s: i,ve lost 16,5kg (about 36lbs) since december just 1kg to go if anyones wondering.

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Visible abs is a function of both body fat and muscle development.

You have to have low enough body fat for them to be visible, AND enough muscle for there to be something to see. Make sense?

In most cases, to get visible abs, your goal weight will probably need to be lower than you thought when you set that goal weight.

If you've gotten to the flat belly stage, then you're dealing with limited muscle volume.

You're going to have to do strength/volume training. Crunches, Planks, Strict pushups, hanging/captains chair leg raises, V ups.
  • geri1geraldinesuzanne
    geri1geraldinesuzanne Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Visible abs is a function of both body fat and muscle development.

You have to have low enough body fat for them to be visible, AND enough muscle for there to be something to see. Make sense?

In most cases, to get visible abs, your goal weight will probably need to be lower than you thought when you set that goal weight.

after reaching what i call my "realistic goal", i do have another weight goal and plan to lose at leat 5kg more, just have been taking it one atep at a time.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Heavy compound lifts engage the core. I also like hanging leg raises and pull ups. Jillian Michaels 6 week 6 pack abs is great, but you do get on the floor. Shaun T's hip hop abs is fun☺
  • merekins
    merekins Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Pallof press
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,639 Member
    Options
    For many females, a body fat % 20 will usually show ab outlines.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png