Sugar Sugar Sugar

Options
So on MFP, my daily sugar intake is 24 g which is pretty much impossible to achieve unless I eat cucumbers and celery sticks all day. I like to eat my two servings of fruit, but I still go over regardless. Any ideas of foods and snacks I can eat that are low in sugar?

Replies

• McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Google is your friend. :) Also, search the forums.
  • catanzca
    catanzca Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Sugar is definitely my downfall.. i try to snack on lunchmeat (turkey)
  • htrl877
    htrl877 Posts: 49
    Options
    good call. I guess its frustrating more than anything to think that sugar is literally in everything we eat.
  • dp1228
    dp1228 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Honestly the only sugar you have to worry about is processed sugars. If you go over your sugar because of fruit its fine. A lot of MFP'ers wish that MFP could seperate the difference between the two types of sugars but unfortunately they dont. What I do is use that limit for processed sugars. And when I say processed sugars I mean juice, soda, desserts etc. For fruits I dont pay it any mind.
  • Sgriffin2382
    Sgriffin2382 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I love the Popsicle brand sugar free popsicles. That has been my sweet treat for months now. And only 15 calories a popsicle!
  • Princessa1982
    Options
    It does go up with exercise though! Fruit sugar is a different sugar than what is in sweets, it does not take as much from your body to break them down. I would still eat your two servings of fruit, but then stick to veggies and low sugar options for the rest of your day. Cucumber, carrots, peppers, etc all still have sugars!!!

There is HUGE debate about the sugar issues, some say they do not count their fruit sugars, some do. I do, but I HAVE so much to lose and did end up with gestational diabetes with my sons pregnancy, so I am at risk of diabetes as well. Exercise helps with it all. Do what works for you, play around. Also, search and look in the message boards (the search function is wonderful) there are many many threads on this very topic!!!
  • kaleighmorgan
    Options
    I'm a sugar feind myself... I could probably convert to being a fruitarian, actually, but that's not doing me any good as far as weightloss is concerned. What helps me? I try to keep snacks to things like nuts, celery sticks, cucumbers, baby carrots, and lunch meats (I buy my turkey by the pound!) but when I want a sugar fix, I aim for fruit (grapes are good because you can get your sweet craving covered with just 5 or so) or super small dark chocolate bits (Dove had some little 40 calorie dark chocolate eggs out at Easter! They were perfect).

Hope that helps!
  • LickyNees
    LickyNees Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    nuts and plain popcorn
  • Jacordero85
    Options
    I too had the same concern but learned to blow it off based on fructose vs. refined sugars. I also take a cinnamon (with magnesium) supplement to aid in the metabolism with the sugar that I do consume.

Remember to talk to a health care professional prior to taking supplements. Another alternative is just eating a bunch of cinnamon.