"hangin in there...

Options
I'm starting week 3 with MFP and I have not lost any weight :sad: in fact I started at 180 lbs and now I am 182 lbs... I am still trying to stick with 1200 calories a day... I try to do a "brisk walk" for about 30 min 5x a week... I had back surgery last November so walking is a good option as far as exercise right now... I also quit smoking directly following the surgery so my metabolism has slowed down dramatically... My son of 23 years is very "fit and active"... he says I should eat 5 small meals (fist size) a day to jump start the metabolism... since losing my other son in November 2009 my life has become a very challenging journey... I really want to get in shape so I can feel good about myself and have the strength to ward off the depression that sometimes feels so easy to fall into... I need to be strong for my son and my husband... any help from you would be greatly appreciated.. PS. sorry for all the "drama"... I have really found hope with this sight...

Replies

• shannybell
    shannybell Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am starting my 4th week with MFP and have only lost 3 pounds. I weigh tomorrow and hopefully that number will go to 4 but we'll see. The weight loss is really slow for me as well. I am eathing better than I ever have, cut out soft drinks all together, and exercise every night which I have never done. Why only 3 pounds I ask myself?? I do take Paxil for anxiety which causes weight gain and I am post menopausal which causes my metabolism to be at a 0. I look at it as "I AM LOSING" so I keep on going! Good luck to you and hang in there for your husband and son! So sorry to hear about the loss of your other son in 09. I will pray for strength for you!
  • bluegirl10
    bluegirl10 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your son! However, please don't give up! You may wan to try eating 5 small meals a day and see if that helps.. I do that and it helps me to never be really hungry.. Don't give up, you are making a good choice by using MFP, exercising and eating right... The weight will come off! I have just started back again too, so feel free to add me if you want to! :)
  • lmorra
    lmorra Posts: 17
    Options
    thanks so much for your reply... I will keep at it... sometimes just knowing that someone out there cares really helps! good luck to you too :smile:
  • clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Hi there, sorry you are having a tough time. I think your son's suggestion is a good one, eating 5 evenish sized meals a day, along with drinking lots of water, this always helps and I dont know maybe you need to try a few tricks on your body...... try walking just 3 times a week but for an hour, then revert to your 30 mins 5 times a week. Our bodies seem to adapt to make light work of our exercises which doesnt help us coz we want them to be effective!!!!! I hear that other forms of exercise might not be possible for you at the moment but i dont know wiggle and jiggle a little when you are walking, take the stairs more often, if there is a choice between an easy way to do a task or a more energetic way.... choose the energetic way! eat your exercise cals and log your coas with accuracy it is VERY VERY easy to guesstimate portions incorrectly!

good luck and get losing!!!!!
  • lmorra
    lmorra Posts: 17
    Options
    thanks , you hang in there too... you're doing great! Like you said we've already made some very positive changes regarding eating habits and exercise... I appreciate your reply :flowerforyou:
  • r0gu3
    r0gu3 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    hey, its hard for everyone when they start. its gonna be okay if you stick with it. Not seeing any loss in numbers can be very disheartening at first. I was told this many times by coaches and never listened but sometimes you are really Building muscle. Being that muscle is heavier than fat, (even though you might be losing some fat, the offset from the gained muscle shows as 0 on the scales. The first few weeks you have to gauge progress by how you feel and how your clothes are fitting. It almost never shows up right away on the scales. And unfortunately, like most ladies (possibly men), we seem to lose weight from the tips inward. Ie: i have great looking ankles and a tire around my belly LOL. The areas you are focusing on are likely gonna be the very very very last things to show improvement.

The suggestion of eating small meals is very good. Three meals and healthy snacks in between. Never let yourself get hungry. gotta get your body confident in the fact that food will always be coming in on a regular basis, so it knows its okay to go ahead and burn your reserves.

Please feel free to friend me.
    I'm always looking for people to help and support and hopefully will do the same.

Cheers,

daisy