Running in the COLD

Options
I live in Chicago and it was 24 degrees plus the wind shield brang the temp down. I could only take 23 minutes of running and I had to go inside. When I went inside I felt like I had pressure in my head and I had a lil head ace. I was layered up had ear muffs on and double clothing. Can it be too cold to run outside????? or was is it just me?

Replies

• NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    I live in Chicago and it was 24 degrees plus the wind shield brang the temp down. I could only take 23 minutes of running and I had to go inside. When I went inside I felt like I had pressure in my head and I had a lil head ace. I was layered up had ear muffs on and double clothing. Can it be too cold to run outside????? or was is it just me?
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

The problem with layers is it not only keeps out the cold, but keeps in the heat. What you need is clothing that sucks the moisture away from your body where it touches your skin, and enough layers so that you stay warm. Overheating, believe it or not, is a big problem with cold weather runners. it sounds like that's what happened to you.

What I usually suggest is, if you can stay outside without a coat for 5 minutes without shivering (really five minutes) then you can run with a cotton hat, a layer for moisture absorbtion (like th ones from nike you can get at any sports store), and 1 layer that is either lined (like a lined wind breaker) or a light sweat shirt. You won't get cold if you run at a decent pace, just make sure to get inside immediately after your run and get out of the clothes.
  • TRLTAMPA
    TRLTAMPA Posts: 824
    Options
    I did my jog last night in the rain and cool ( i won't say cold cuz im in FL) but I wore a windbreaker. I felt like superwoman when i was jogging good enough to blow the hood off my head. (dont tell me it was the wind...let me dream)
    Within a few minutes I was all warmed up and put the jacket around my waist.
  • SuzieB
    Options
    I've had issues running outside in Boston this winter (new to running). But I find that if I wear clothing appropriate for 10 degrees warmer than the outside temp, I am ok. I also wear a light jacket/sweatshirt with pockets so I can take my gloves or hat off if I get hot.

Also remember to drink a lot of water! You don't realize how much water you are losing when it's cold out.
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    Yea running in FL in chilli weather is alot different than running in chicago when the windshield is 5 degrees and a foot of snow on the ground lol.. But thank you for the advise....
  • Chellekk
    Chellekk Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    When I used to live in OR, I had a tough time jogging in the cold. It wasn't the layering...it was breathing. The air was so cold in my lungs, they would start to hurt. I lasted about 5 minutes before having to walk.
  • Lyndo
    Lyndo Posts: 95
    Options
    I'm from Timmins Ontario, & some days in winter is -40....Now thats super cold
    But on regular winter days like -25 or lower I will go walk/jog, but not for a long time...
    maybe a little less then 30 min, then do other exersices in the house...:flowerforyou:
  • jlauren6
    jlauren6 Posts: 209
    Options
    I am also from around Chicago and I went for a quick run in the freezing cold, and the same exact thing happened to me!! I could hardly breath and my head felt like it was going to explode!! I will wait until it's warm (40's) to try that again.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I'm in IL also and it is cold out there! Dress in layers, I love my dry-wick running tights, then layer another pair of pants over them, dry-wick tank, dry-wick long sleeved shirt, and wind-check fleece on top of that. Of course, gloves and a head wrap are a must!!

I've run outside up to -2* but it was DARN cold out there. These last couple weeks I've been enjoying the warm Y treadmills. :wink: