Beginner lifter

Options
BeccaLoves2lift
BeccaLoves2lift Posts: 375 Member
Can anyone tell me if this sounds like a good program for a beginner female.... I've done Beachbody programs with very minimal resistance training in them but I want to get into lifting. Thanks!
Here's the link

http://www.jerseygirltalk.com/2013/10/26/weightlifting-strength-training-routine-workout-women/

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    is the program called "beginner lifter," do you have a link to it?
  • BeccaLoves2lift
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    is the program called "beginner lifter," do you have a link to it?

Sorry I forgot the link I just put it in the original post!
  • ndj1979
    Options
    how new are you to lifting? Absolute newbie or some experience with squatting, deadlifts, etc?

For beginners, it is typically recommended to go with a three day per week full body program, or something like starting strength, strong lifts 5x5, or all pro beginner routine. Then once you have developed a good foundation of strength you can transition to something a little more advanced like a four day split, which this program appears to be.

It also seems like a lot of volume for a beginner...

would be curious what others think...
  • BeccaLoves2lift
    Options
    how new are you to lifting? Absolute newbie or some experience with squatting, deadlifts, etc?

For beginners, it is typically recommended to go with a three day per week full body program, or something like starting strength, strong lifts 5x5, or all pro beginner routine. Then once you have developed a good foundation of strength you can transition to something a little more advanced like a four day split, which this program appears to be.

I've been doing body weight and very low weight dumbbell workouts since January.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    MrsBeccaM5 wrote: »

I've been doing body weight and very low weight dumbbell workouts since January.

based on that I would suggest strong lifts 5x5 or all pro beginner routine. that will give you a good intro to compound movements and allow you to build a good foundation of strength. After three to four months of that you could transition to a four day upper/lower split if you want..

i would also suggest watching videos on proper form for squat, deadlift, and bench press...
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    personally, I think it's ok... not great. Has mediocre work for shoulders and upper B doesnt' have any core lift.

You would get more out of a 3x a week full body routine such as StrongCurves or if you prefer dumbbells as a starting point, I'd look at the Aworkoutroutine found in the sticky
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options

Agree...
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    personally, I think it's ok... not great. Has mediocre work for shoulders and upper B doesnt' have any core lift.

You would get more out of a 3x a week full body routine such as StrongCurves or if you prefer dumbbells as a starting point, I'd look at the Aworkoutroutine found in the sticky

I don't think the shoulder work is terrible - DB OHP, dips, rows, lateral raises, bench - they hit all of the shoulder muscles. That said, I'd probably switch the DB OHP (DB Shoulder Press) with the dips. Additionally, I might get rid of dips altogether and put in another upper back pull, such as face pulls.

But, yeah, it's not terrible, but not what I'd consider great either. If you like it, OP, sure.
  • RebeccaNaegle
    RebeccaNaegle Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    If you want a good beginner for women, for weightlifting, weight loss etc. Go buy Thinner, leaner Stronger by mike Matthews! it is what I did and I couldn't be happier with my understanding of calories, macros, weights, body building etc. It was a life saver in my eyes! I got mine on amazon for about $10, but I also bought the audio version.
  • BeccaLoves2lift
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I think I'll look into a 3 day per week total body program.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Ya the program is fine if you like it, but check out this thread for a list of other beginner programs you can look at.

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

• Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    That program looks ok, but to me (I might be a wuss) it looks too time intensive. 4 days per week, with lots of sets. It's going to take awhile 1-1.5 hours to get through it each day, and the rest periods look too short.

It may be a great program, but I think it's a bit much to bite off if you're starting out. Move on to this one when you feel your ready, but I'd also steer you toward a 3 day/week full body like Stronglifts or Strongcurves. I think on balance it will be better for you as it will give you good strength, efficiency of lifting since you'll be doing compound lifts that work many muscle groups, and it should only take you about 45 mins each time.
  • BeccaLoves2lift
    edited June 2017
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Ya the program is fine if you like it, but check out this thread for a list of other beginner programs you can look at.

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

I think this one would work well for me. It is off of the link you provided. My only concern is that it doesn't have much for abdominal work. Do you think it would be ok to add more core work?

https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/dumbbell-only-home-or-gym-fullbody-workout.html
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

I think this one would work well for me. It is off of the link you provided. My only concern is that it doesn't have much for abdominal work. Do you think it would be ok to add more core work?

https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/dumbbell-only-home-or-gym-fullbody-workout.html

You don't need abdominal work if you are doing core lifts like squat, deadlift, overhead press, bent over rows, bench press. Your core (abs included) get hit pretty hard with those lifts already. You can add ab work if you want though. Abs can take a lot of work to fatigue. You'll do ab work to make your abs bigger, but you'll have to lose body fat to give yourself a slim tummy.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Rusty740 wrote: »

You don't need abdominal work if you are doing core lifts like squat, deadlift, overhead press, bent over rows, bench press. Your core (abs included) get hit pretty hard with those lifts already. You can add ab work if you want though. Abs can take a lot of work to fatigue. You'll do ab work to make your abs bigger, but you'll have to lose body fat to give yourself a slim tummy.

Yup this exactly. I do very minimal ab work (most of it is actually in my yoga class once a week) otherwise the main lifts hit them pretty hard. I don't have a huge muscular 6-pack though. If you enjoy it you can add some in, but definitely not necessary.
  • clbaft
    clbaft Posts: 11 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

You'd be surprised! I've found compound lifts target the core more than isolation exercises. I thought I had abs before from all the ~core bodyweight exercises - but the improvement when I started doing deadlifts and other heavy compound movements was so much quicker and more obvious. You can still do hanging leg lifts and isolation exercises etc but if you're doing a solid strength program you should see good core strength gains in general. (And as the others have said, you need a low enough bf% to see your abs, regardless of their development)

• Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    clbaft wrote: »

You'd be surprised! I've found compound lifts target the core more than isolation exercises. I thought I had abs before from all the ~core bodyweight exercises - but the improvement when I started doing deadlifts and other heavy compound movements was so much quicker and more obvious. You can still do hanging leg lifts and isolation exercises etc but if you're doing a solid strength program you should see good core strength gains in general. (And as the others have said, you need a low enough bf% to see your abs, regardless of their development)

Ever since I started "Aworkoutroutine" from the MFP community link, I was really shocked at how tired my core was from doing the compound lifts. I don't know what the end result will be at this point, but I know my core is being engaged far more than I thought it would be.