Can I accidentally bulk?

Options
13»

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Dumb question- why don't you just get your s**t together and monitor your food so you aren't just hoping?

cosign
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    Dumb question- why don't you just get your s**t together and monitor your food so you aren't just hoping?

I would've been really pissed to hear this when I was struggling (heck I did hear it- people I respected in the gym told me it wasn't a good idea to go home and eat a pan of brownies after the gym, but that didn't stop me.)
    But honestly it's true.

Assuming "out of control" means a large caloric surplus, it's going to lead to a large amount of fat gain. Maybe a small fraction of weight gained will be muscle, but it's LARGELY going to be fat. And it does you no good. You won't "recomp", you'll just get fat. (And this is assuming with optimal/progressive training. If your training is crap too you probably aren't going to gain much muscle at all.) Not to mention, gaining weight and looking worse isn't great motivation to keep lifting.

I feel like I've spent the past year missing out on potential gains because I've had to spend time cutting, and I'm only half way to my goal. One year in a surplus, several years trying to fix it.
    Rein it in and save yourself the unnecessary cutting.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options

yeah, this.

thing is (for me anyway) getting started was the hardest part.

once I got my diet, meal plan and meal prep dialed in, I started to see results.

Seeing results is the best motivation to continue......... amiright?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

I would've been really pissed to hear this when I was struggling (heck I did hear it- people I respected in the gym told me it wasn't a good idea to go home and eat a pan of brownies after the gym, but that didn't stop me.)
    But honestly it's true.

Assuming "out of control" means a large caloric surplus, it's going to lead to a large amount of fat gain. Maybe a small fraction of weight gained will be muscle, but it's LARGELY going to be fat. And it does you no good. You won't "recomp", you'll just get fat. (And this is assuming with optimal/progressive training. If your training is crap too you probably aren't going to gain much muscle at all.) Not to mention, gaining weight and looking worse isn't great motivation to keep lifting.

I feel like I've spent the past year missing out on potential gains because I've had to spend time cutting, and I'm only half way to my goal. One year in a surplus, several years trying to fix it.
    Rein it in and save yourself the unnecessary cutting.
    lol yeppers. not exactly "great" news- and not always well received- but tis the truth.
    And- really- even if you aren't trying to cut or bulk- at least getting a handle via tracking- so you have an IDEA of what you're shoving in your pie hole it shifts from "hoping" to "knowing" and then you can control it.

If you just free for all- then you are hoping and you're shooting in the dark guessing.

• CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    It also tastes and has the texture of white sand.

Yup, I just pour a heaping teaspoon right into my mouth and then wash it down with water. It doesn't dissolve very well in cold or room temp water and I've never liked adding it to my coffee. I used to hate seeing the grit at the bottom of a protein shake - seemed like a waste.

Maybe try a different brand? I get it from MyProtein and it dissolves really well. I mix it in my shake or sometimes just water, but I never had this issue.
  • llaurenmarie
    llaurenmarie Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    To those with the "tough love"---
    I tracked today. I am not "hoping". I have a lot of crap against me but it doesn't mean I am not trying. Just because I didn't lay it all out in my original message doesn't mean there's not reasons that it's harder with obstacles than it has been before.

But I am trying.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    To those with the "tough love"---
    I tracked today. I am not "hoping". I have a lot of crap against me but it doesn't mean I am not trying. Just because I didn't lay it all out in my original message doesn't mean there's not reasons that it's harder with obstacles than it has been before.

But I am trying.

Good stuff, this is a game of consistency even in the hard times. You got this.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I wasn't really trying to be tough love or rude... that's just sort of the reality- if you don't put in any effort- then you're just hoping.
    If you apply yourself- even poorly to the task at hand- it's no longer hope- you will know how and why you are or are not achieving your results.
    My eating is still pretty out of control so as long as I'm eating at a surplus.. can I expect recomp? sumo wrestler bod?

Yes my goal is to get it under control but what if I don't?
    this was your exact questions... if you're at a surplus- and you know- you'll gain.

if you aren't- you won't.

calorie counting is nothing but a tool to give you knowledge on how to control the situation. Don't let it own you.
  • llaurenmarie
    Options
    I wasn't really trying to be tough love or rude... that's just sort of the reality- if you don't put in any effort- then you're just hoping.
    If you apply yourself- even poorly to the task at hand- it's no longer hope- you will know how and why you are or are not achieving your results.
    My eating is still pretty out of control so as long as I'm eating at a surplus.. can I expect recomp? sumo wrestler bod?

Yes my goal is to get it under control but what if I don't?
    this was your exact questions... if you're at a surplus- and you know- you'll gain.

if you aren't- you won't.

calorie counting is nothing but a tool to give you knowledge on how to control the situation. Don't let it own you.
    I thank you. I will do my best always.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    What did you expect people to say? - It's ok, you can eat 4k calories a day, no worries! Squat booty incoming! Fitness goals getting smashed! *Head pats*

We get that it's not easy. Trust me, we do. A lot of people struggle. Everyone has their own things that are "working against them."
    It takes discipline.
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    OP, one thing that helps me when I feel off the rails is just to commit to the tracking and logging without making any effort to change how much or what I'm eating. Just commit to brutal honesty so you actually know how far off your targets you are. You can make old-school notes about energy level, sleep, mood, whatever will help you see patterns. Maybe right now you feel really committed to lifting and not to controlling your diet, and you'll get the results of that combo, like "when I eat 3500 k/day I gain a pound per week." That's helpful info even if it makes you feel bad.
  • llaurenmarie
    Options
    CJ_Holmes wrote: »
    OP, one thing that helps me when I feel off the rails is just to commit to the tracking and logging without making any effort to change how much or what I'm eating. Just commit to brutal honesty so you actually know how far off your targets you are. You can make old-school notes about energy level, sleep, mood, whatever will help you see patterns. Maybe right now you feel really committed to lifting and not to controlling your diet, and you'll get the results of that combo, like "when I eat 3500 k/day I gain a pound per week." That's helpful info even if it makes you feel bad.
    This makes sense. I am going to do this. Today I did and made better decisions !