I've decided to put on weight

Options
Skyle33
Skyle33 Posts: 43 Member
Picture you see is me at 5'10 182/183 pounds. My goal is to increase my calories while maintaining a healthy diet and pretty much lean bulk this summer HIIT 3 times a week for 15-20 minutes and eating about 2900 - 3100 gross calories a day (which I already know is my ideal range) while staying around 100 grams of healthy fats. I've also decided to add more strength focus in my workouts because right now I look stronger than I am because off all the hypertrophy and volume. At first I liked the idea of looking stronger and it's great for the beach and pool but I just want more fire power. Thoughts??

Replies

• Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Nice man, what weight are you wanting to get up to? Any idea?
  • richardpkennedy1
    richardpkennedy1 Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Not sure you need any extra muscle unless you want to enter a bodybuilding competition or are competing in a sport. You look great on the beach already.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    HIIT won't help you bulk, you need a proper programme with progressive overload
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Keep the HIIT and eat a fair amount of your calories around your workouts, you'll be fine.
  • Skyle33
    edited June 2017
    Options
    rdridi12 wrote: »
    Nice man, what weight are you wanting to get up to? Any idea?

I'd like to push the physique in my pic to 185 so add on 3ish pounds of lean muscle not sure how long that will take but I'm not competing, just for fun so I'll play it by ear
  • Skyle33
    Options
    Not sure you need any extra muscle unless you want to enter a bodybuilding competition or are competing in a sport. You look great on the beach already.
    The goal here is really just to push myself to become bigger/stronger, I want to stay improving

• Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    You're looking pretty good. Drop your reps and increase %1RM accordingly to go for strength. Here's a handy picture I pilfered from some website.

pwbqrseyukyg.jpg
  • Skyle33
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Rusty740 wrote: »
    You're looking pretty good. Drop your reps and increase %1RM accordingly to go for strength. Here's a handy picture I pilfered from some website.

Thanks and I like that chart, will put it to good use. Thanks for the feedback/support

• Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Skyle33 wrote: »
    Rusty740 wrote: »

Thanks and I like that chart, will put it to good use. Thanks for the feedback/support

One more thing I'm just getting used to myself. In order to guage your Rating of Perceived Exertion (RPE) in that chart I like to use the Reps In Reserve (RIR) rating system, which is "how many more reps you think you could do". It just seems easier to estimate than RPE.

Looks like this. Aim for not more than 3 RIR and you'll stay in the goldilocks zone depending on your %RM.
    dd8i8frlbzwd.jpg

• Skyle33
    Options

dd8i8frlbzwd.jpg

[/quote]
    Never seen this before, thanks for that