Coffee Creamer vs. Milk

Options
ckidd311
ckidd311 Posts: 68 Member
Lately I have been wondering if there is a good milk substitute for coffee creamer. I don't mind the calories so much as the amount of sugar that's in the creamers (International Delight - Almond Joy flavor - YUM). I have an intolerance for sugar 'substitutes' so most of the sugar-free creamers I can't have.

I want to try to use almond milk instead of creamer, but I want some flavor too. I thought about putting some hazelnut or almond extract in it. Has anyone tried this before? If so, 1) is it any good; and 2) how much extract to almond milk do I use?

Thanks for your help!

Replies

• PanteraGirl
    PanteraGirl Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I drink my coffee with regular milk....and for flavour sometimes i sprinkle cinnamon in it....taste good...I tried Almond milk....I can't seem to do it...so let me know if you find something to make it taste good!!! :)
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    I use fat free half and half...or Sand (powder creamer) when i'm out of that.
  • DancinSMartiPants
    Options
    I don't like the way almond milk looks in my coffee. It separates and looks almost curdled even though it isn't.

Strangely, since I have joined MFP, I have actually switched to half and half. .5 tbsp of the brand I use (organic valley) only have 10 calories and makes my cup super creamy. I was wasting way more calories (and sugar) on milk for an inferior tasting cup of coffee.

Also, like the previous poster, I sometimes use cinnamon which is delicious. More often, though, I buy a coffee that is pre-flavored, saving me both the hassle and the calories.

Good luck!
  • MoonIite
    MoonIite Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I use 5% Lactantia Light Cream. It's only 15 calories per tbsp.
  • tammykoon
    tammykoon Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I use almond milk. The vanilla is good, but the dark chocolate is amazing. I freeze the leftovers in an ice cube tray, and store them in freezer bag.
  • 16mixingbowls
    16mixingbowls Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I have tried cutting sugar form my morning coffee, too. Now, I measure exactly one tablespoon hazelnut coffee creamer and then top the cup off with almond milk. My taste preference needs the artificial creamer to give it the 'creaminess' but I need the almond milk to make it less strong. I don't like all almond milk because it does the same separation thing a PP mentioned and also doesn't make the coffee creamy.

I also used to use real true half and half, but just a tablespoon. The creaminess factor is amazing. I don't like Fat free half and half only because it has high fructose corn syrup.

The grocery store I shop at sells those coffee flavors that coffee shops use. You could try those. (They do have sugar though.) I put a few dashes of cinnamon in with my grounds and let the coffee brew through them. You can also try this with pumpkin spice seasoning. I have added vanailla extract in a tiny amount to my coffee, but for me it's too much to get it out every single time I make coffee. I bet, though, that you could make your own coffee creamer mix and keep it in the fridge. Maybe like 1 tablespoon extract per quart of cream?
  • kw2s
    kw2s Posts: 16
    Options
    I use Organic Valley half and half ( like a previous poster mentioned). It tastes great and you only have to use a tiny bit. They are just starting to roll out flavored half and half, their French Vanilla is fantastic. Sometimes, I'll add a vanilla bean to my half and half (overnight) for a punch of flavor.
  • DancinSMartiPants
    Options
    I use Organic Valley half and half ( like a previous poster mentioned). It tastes great and you only have to use a tiny bit. They are just starting to roll out flavored half and half, their French Vanilla is fantastic. Sometimes, I'll add a vanilla bean to my half and half (overnight) for a punch of flavor.

The flavored ones have a lot more calories I think, but the vanilla bean you mentioned is a stroke of genius! :wink:
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk - Creamy, no sugar, low fat, low calorie.
  • anastasiawildflower
    anastasiawildflower Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    http://deliciouslyorganic.net/homemade-coffee-creamer/

The funny part to me is that they list milk and heavy cream separately. Half and half is a one to one ratio of each. Either way you can sub any milk or "milk" and get delicious results. :)