Why am I so tired all the time and sleeping so much?

Options
BeautyFromPain
BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
Lately I have been going to sleep around 10pm-12am but then not waking up until at least 10am-midday the next day and when I wake up it is very hard for me to wake myself up properly (stil half asleep). I will then proceed to be very tired for the rest of the day.

I have been diagnosed with severe depression and anxiety, but this never used to affect my sleeping pattern like this.

What do you think it could be???

Replies

• authson
    authson Posts: 233
    Options
    This could be due to depression. I suffer from depression and anxiety as well. Did you start a medication? Maybe you need to get use to it? feel free to add me as a friend. Hope you are getting the help you need.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    (hug)
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    Yes I did start a new medication recently because the old ones were not working, these ones don't seem to be either though :/
  • lablovr108
    lablovr108 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Have you had your thyroid and iron checked? I was doing just that, sleeping all of the time and never feeling rested, when I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism ten years ago. A simple blood test will confirm if you are suffering from either that or low iron. Good luck!
  • gabrielled
    gabrielled Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I know when I am "coming off" sugar, my body does the same thing. Track your sugars for a bit, and look to see if the sleepy days come right off of a high sugar day.
  • alanmosulli
    Options
    Do you exercise much? A 10 minute brisk walk every day helps build up metabolism which ensures your body is much fitter. Also if there is still a problem, have you got your bloods tested? You may have iron deficiency if you dont eat enough meat which can lead to tiredness.
  • Tracey_Smith
    Tracey_Smith Posts: 199
    Options
    Depression is a nightmare, just because it hasn't affected you this way before doesn't mean it isn't now. I get so low sometimes, that sleep is my body's only way to combat what I feel. I must admit that getting out makes me feel so much better, the fresh air clears my head a bit. Have you got medication from the doctors, if so, this should help a bit but you need to push yourself to getting out a little, even walking around the garden may help?? :-)
  • catanzca
    catanzca Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I don't know much about depression or anxiety, but could it be possible that you are sleeping too much? Also, are you exercising? When I'm feeling fatigued a lot sometimes it's due to not exercising enough. Good luck!
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    Yes I usually work out 60-120 minutes every day
  • ShaeDetermined
    ShaeDetermined Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    that sounds like a lot of sleep, too much.
    sometimes too much time in bed makes you feel exhausted.

maybe try setting an alarm so you have a solid 8hrs of sleep.
    then shower, get in atleast 30 minutes of exercise and eat a solid breakfast of protein and whole grains.
    drink lots of fluids throughout the day.

try this for a week and see if you notice any difference.
  • pilotgirl2007
    pilotgirl2007 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Are you being treated for depression? You should talk to your doctor about this. I have had the same problem lately. I can't get up on time, I am tired all day and sleeping every second I can. I have a slightly hypoactive thyroid but my sleeping problems coupled with my other sypmtoms leads me to believe that mine is due to a change in my thyroid. So maybe you should have a lab work up done too just to rule out thyroid or anything else. Long story short you should always talk to your doctor about unexplained changes.
  • jessradtke
    jessradtke Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    It's possible that it is depression related. Does your depression feel any different lately? When I was dealing with depression I had times when would go back and forth between not sleeping much at all and sleeping almost constantly. Looking back on it, I can see that the times when I slept a lot I was at a "lower" point in the depression cycle than when I couldn't sleep. Anxiety was often worse when I was not sleeping. Medication changes can trigger it but so can a lot of other things too, such as dietary changes. (For me, caffeine was a major trigger - I either have to have about the same amount of it every day or absolutely none at all.) The worst part is, it's so hard to tell what's going on when you're right in the middle of it! Talk to your doctor about it and get a good blood work up done to rule out physical problems.
  • sharmonesq
    sharmonesq Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Hey. Just a thought. I was having similar issues. The doc changed my meds, checked my thyroid, etc. Everything normal (except some hormone issues but we got those fixed too I think). Anyway, at one follow up he wasn't in and I saw the PA. She tested my vitamin levels and I had a D deficiency. It wasn't even that low so I thought that there was no way this could cause me to feel so bad. She told me just to try it because everyone reacts differently to variations in vitamin levels. I haven't been taking it all that long, but it started helping pretty much immediately.
  • Lolyballs
    Lolyballs Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I too suffer from depression and anxiety, if you have started a new medication it may take time to get used to it or it may need to be adjusted. If this isn't the case you should talk to your doctor and maybe have some blood work done. If you are anemic you might feel weak and tired, but there are other issues that could be going on. But you really should discuss this with your doctor.
  • NutritionDestination
    Options
    Fatigue is the #1 complaint for Dr.'s visits. Generally due to nutritional deficiencies. Not because we make bad choices all the time. But because of our inability to assimilate the nutrients in the food we eat. As our food moves from our stomach into the small intestine it is digested by adding bile with the almost 80 different types of bacteria and enzymes to break down our food to be absorbed into our system by our villi. Villi are microscopic hair like structures lining the interior of our almost 27 feet of small intestinal wall. At the best of conditions we extract only a portion of the nutrients from our food. 1.) When we eat food (now or in the past) that has gluten or some sticky substance (or so it becomes when mixed with the digestive fluids) that tends to adhere to the villi forming a layer so the fresh food we eat passes over the top. The layer is still breaking down with the bacteria and enzymes but becomes toxic, still releasing into our blood stream. Our bodies can handle some toxins (that's what the liver is for), but when we get a constant release of toxins into our system, our immune system works really hard to overcome them, but can only fight so much without adequate nourishment. A good cleanse can help you regain some of your body's absorptive qualities. I have done a gentle 21 day cleanse and my energy has magnified immensely. 2.)The villi themselves could and probably are damaged as are some in everyone. The things that damage these are: Stress, Smoking, Drinking alcohol, High fat diet (lots of fried food), and even Antibiotics. You can repair those villi with a good cleanse and some aloe. I have been taking a product that promotes the growth of the villi, and I appear to be doing rather well physically. I ride almost 100 miles/week on my bicycle, and my energy level is stupendous. I would tell you what I am using but I also sell that product, and the rules say no advertising. I started selling the product because I got such fantastic results on it. I even have a degree in Computer Networking and the results on this product were so incredibly life changing that I decided to help other people to experience the same success as I have. Hope this helps. Michael "Nutrition Destination" Tyler Texas
  • teamnevergoingback
    teamnevergoingback Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    This thread TOTALLY helped me.

I've been sleeping like CRAZY! But I wake up so early, but I'm ready for bed around 8pm, then wake up around 8. Not good, I'm trying all these things.
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    Could be sleep apnea. Do you snore?
    I had the same problem, would even fall asleep at work.
    Got tested for it. Now I sleep with a CPAP machine. I can't sleep in past about 8:00 with a great nights sleep every night and I have no urge to nap or sleep during the day.
  • mleoni092708
    mleoni092708 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I completely understand. Depression and anxiety for me also. What a nightmare.

To make sure it's not something other than depression and meds, I would ask your dr for a checkup (have bloodwork done). They can see if there's anything else going on-thyroid issues, vitamin deficiencies, etc.

As PP said, it could also be sleep apnea. I do not snore and had no symptoms of apnea except the daytime exhaustion no matter how much I felt like I slept, and sometimes anxiety attacks in the middle of the night (from not getting enough oxygen).

(((HUGS))) I can tell you, there were times when I wanted to quit life, that being sick was just too hard. But you WILL get better, just keep fighting and force your doctors to find answers for you.