Calorie deficit?

Hello,I am confused about extra calories I earn through exercise-I can add huge amounts if I go for a run but it seems a massive amount to eat and still lose weight? I have lost 5 pounds over the last three weeks without fully eating all my calories earned. Is it essential to use ALL the extra calories? Thanks.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    It's possible they may be overestimated, depending on where you're getting the numbers from. To be safe, start by eating back 50% of them and then adjust up or down if your loss doesn't correlate to your planned loss over the next 4-6 weeks.
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Well "huge" amounts doesn't typically come from running....unless your running alot.

can you give some more details about how your getting these and what your current goals are etc?

Many people to be safe only eat back a portion of the exercise calories.
  • RubyRuby477
    RubyRuby477 Posts: 4 Member
    I run 5k a couple of times a week using Map my Run linked to MFP-the calories added are nearly 500 which is a whole meal!

I aim to lose two stone,I go to yoga and aerobics classes through the week but they are not so easy to track-more of an estimate using the guide on here.

I think starting g at 50 percent is a good way to go,I have been spending g the evenings filling up on fruit to make up the calories...and not feeling easy about it.
    Thank you.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Tomk652015 wrote: »
    Well "huge" amounts doesn't typically come from running....unless your running alot.

can you give some more details about how your getting these and what your current goals are etc?

Many people to be safe only eat back a portion of the exercise calories.

I get some "huge" amounts for my trail runs. Running several miles will do that for you. My run days are my "cookie days." I use those extra calories to refuel and treat myself. I pretty much eat all those calories back, too. I had no problem losing and I've been maintaining at goal for over 5 years, so I must be doing something right. ;)
  • RubyRuby477
    RubyRuby477 Posts: 4 Member
    Ooh hooo!! Yes I go trail running and it's quite hilly so that's how I get those numbers. Congratulations on achieving and maintaining for 5 years,I salute you....and look forward to my 'treat days'
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    As a general rule I'd eat back 75% of run cals MFP gave you and 0% of the 'cleaning, light, housekeeping' calories it gives you :)
  • NEMom80
    NEMom80 Posts: 48 Member
    I'm pretty sure Map My Run estimates your calorie burn during activities and adds the calories you would've normally burned doing nothing so so it will always be a little higher. I wouldn't eat back 100% of the map My Run calories but maybe half