Summer Workout Dilemma

Options
Hi, all!
I am back after a long hiatus and have been logging for a week. I am trying to get back into physical activity as well. I am lucky enough (?) to still be in grad school, meaning I have access to a really awesome campus rec center for fairly cheap (and I have to pay for it anyway--yay mandatory fees!). However, I talked to a friend of mine who I go go to school with, and she mentioned that the fee for the rec center is not prorated for the summer. I would have to pay an additional $80 flat fee for June, July, and the first half of August to use the center.

I had intended on just using the Planet Fitness or Anytime Fitness in my town for the next few months, because $10 a month is so much better compared to $80 flat fee, right? I'm glad I did my research and saw that there are annual fees attached to that as well. I think it'd be about $60 total for either of those options.

I also considered just doing stuff at home or outside, but variables like space and weather make me nervous for those options.

All that being said, I was curious as to peoples' opinions on what would make the most sense for the next few months. Luckily this is temporary, and I'll be back in the campus center in late August, but I truly want to know what people think would be the best alternative for now.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    So it's $80 vs $30 for the rec ctr? I actually don't think that $80 is bad for the summer. It's really dependent on how often you go and the equipment you need though. If you are not going to use the equipment or facilities (e.g., indoor track, etc.) I'd get the PF membership.
  • abbeyjones1994
    abbeyjones1994 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    So it's $80 vs $30 for the rec ctr? I actually don't think that $80 is bad for the summer. It's really dependent on how often you go and the equipment you need though. If you are not going to use the equipment or facilities (e.g., indoor track, etc.) I'd get the PF membership.

I generally just use either treadmill or elliptical when I go, if that makes a difference.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    " I would have to pay an additional $80 flat fee for June, July, and the first half of August to use the center."
    "I had intended on just using the Planet Fitness or Anytime Fitness in my town for the next few months, because $10 a month is so much better compared to $80 flat fee, right? I'm glad I did my research and saw that there are annual fees attached to that as well. I think it'd be about $60 total for either of those options."

Just to get a full understanding: Is your school in your town, or is it easy to get to your school's center from your town or wherever you are spending the summer; Would the Planet Fitness/Anytime Fitness $30 or $60 for the summer; Do any of the alternate gyms, Planet Fitness/Anytime Fitness have a recurring membership fee that would have to be cancelled?

To my mind a $50 difference is a difference to consider provided there is no membership to cancel (these can get sticky) If you are summering near your school, or at a distance must be considered. A $20 difference is of little, or no, moment and pick the most convenient option.
  • abbeyjones1994
    Options
    @pondee629 yeah, sorry for the confusion. I live ~15 minutes from all three options. The alternate gyms have a membership fee of about $40 each. Which is a little ridiculous the more I think about it if I'll only be using it for 2ish months. And getting used to a new place, yada yada...it's probably most convenient to just do the school rec center.

I think I just needed to put it all on paper (or virtual paper)! Thanks for your help.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

I generally just use either treadmill or elliptical when I go, if that makes a difference.

In that case I'd walk outside or ride a bike at home. If you absolutely cannot do that, I'd go with the cheaper option.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,618 Member
    Options
    Can you work out at home? I do most of my exercises with videos and only need the gym for weight lifting.
  • abbeyjones1994
    Options
    JeepHair77 wrote: »
    Personally, I'm a creature of habit, so I like to stick with what I know. If you're used to using the campus rec center and it's convenient and you know you'll use it, than the difference of $80 vs. $60 isn't that significant, to me, and I'd just pay the $80 and keep on keeping on.

This is a really good point. The rec center is amazing here and I've been using it for almost 5 years so I know it super well. I'll be really sad when I don't get a gym membership for $70/academic year anymore. Just have to keep getting degrees I guess...
  • abbeyjones1994
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Thank you for your replies, everyone! All good suggestions. I think I'll try using a mix of outside stuff and pay for the rec center. It really is worth it.

Edited because I didn't form a coherent sentence the first time
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

For the love of all that is holy, WHY?!!. Pavement & trails are free (and don't suck all joy out of running).
  • ritzvin
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »

For the love of all that is holy, WHY?!!. Pavement & trails are free (and don't suck all joy out of running).

A 4 minute warm-up on the hampster wheel before lifting is already torture enough.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Can you work out at home? I do most of my exercises with videos and only need the gym for weight lifting.

This^

There are a ton of videos on YouTube, especially if you aren't interested in weights. Jessica Smith TV is my go to.
  • abbeyjones1994
    Options

During the school year, when the rec center fee is one of the additional fees I have to pay anyway, I might as well use it. I agree to a point during the summer. There are trails by my house I utilize when it's nice out (i.e. below 75 degrees and not raining). I was just curious if people thought using the rec center over the summer was worth the additional $80.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    why would you pay to use something that is essentially free otherwise?

If you aren't using the rec center for anything other than cardio- then do your cardio outside and save your money for a personal training lesson on how to lift weights.
  • ritzvin
    Options

During the school year, when the rec center fee is one of the additional fees I have to pay anyway, I might as well use it. I agree to a point during the summer. There are trails by my house I utilize when it's nice out (i.e. below 75 degrees and not raining). I was just curious if people thought using the rec center over the summer was worth the additional $80.

I definitely think it's a waste of money if only utilizing the hampster wheels. So many infinitely more enjoyable ways to get cardio in. Also- do they have lower priced options for less than full access? For instance, my nearby university sells a pass for $5/mo for the indoor track (1/6 mile and you can add in stairs every loop when you pass through the auditorium) - it would cost full price (discounted some as alumni) to get access to the weight room/spinning gym/pool/etc.
  • ritzvin
    Options
    Although if you do decide to start weight training (or even spinning or aerobic classes if you enjoy it and they have those), then a flat $80/3 months would not be a bad deal.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options

Because everyone is different?
  • abbeyjones1994
    Options

I definitely think it's a waste of money if only utilizing the hampster wheels. So many infinitely more enjoyable ways to get cardio in. Also- do they have lower priced options for less than full access? For instance, my nearby university sells a pass for $5/mo for the indoor track (1/6 mile and you can add in stairs every loop when you pass through the auditorium) - it would cost full price (discounted some as alumni) to get access to the weight room/spinning gym/pool/etc.

Unfortunately, no. It's the same thing as the on campus walk in clinic. Even if I don't go to the doctor on campus at all during the year, I still pay the health fee. Same with the rec center. It's also I think $6 a day for a day pass? I think.