So you want to lose weight fast?

Options
Duchy82
Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
edited May 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
What is the rush? You most likely didn't gain the weight fast so prepare for the shock horror......

You are not going to lose it fast and be successful.

No one on the forum is going to advise you that you can safely lose more than 2lbs a week. Because unless you are morbidly obese you can't. It is quite simple: an unhealthy calorie deficit leaves you open to nutritional deficiency, this in turn increases the risk of brittle nails, bad skin, losing your hair.

The body will metabolise more muscle when you lose weight fast, which means you will probably look, I hate this term but it seems appropriate, skinny fat. I bet that vision you have of yourself is all toned with taught skin right? Forget that it won't happen if you lose too fast.

Worse losing your period as a woman, this is your first warning that the body is shutting down non- essential systems in a bid to preserve itself.

Then there is the risk of osteoporosis or brittle bones as the body requires more calcium then your ingesting for other things besides bones. It will take from the bones to use elsewhere. And/or any bone repair (the body renews itself constantly) will be done with less calcium available therefore less bone strength.

You leave yourself open to anaemia: iron deficiency affects the blood cells making you out of breath, dizzy and exhausted so that exercise routine goes out of the window fast. Pernicious anaemia or B12 deficiency again makes you exhausted and fuzzy brained. You need B12 for good neurological function and lack of B12 will make it harder to think clearly, makes you forgetful and the sheer exhaustion again will make that exercise routine dissappear as you prefer sleep over anything else.

I can probably think of more but let's stop there...

If you lose 2- 1lb a week that is 104- 52lbs in a year, really what is a year out of your life? On average we live 80 years (give or take dependent on being male/female) so that one year is 8% (edit: 1.25% not 8% math and me not agreeing this morning )of your life. In the grand scheme of things that is nothing. You will be happier because you haven't made this too hard, it will be more likely you stick to it for the same reason which in turn means that it will be easier to maintain the loss in the longterm. Maintenance is more important right?

Replies

• MaddMaestro
    MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Nicely done.
  • Duchy82
    Options
    3point142 wrote: »
    Duchy82 wrote: »
    that one year is 8% of your life.
    1/80=1.25% :smile:

Stand corrected, :D mind you calculations without a calculator when I've only been up for a couple of hours = mistakes, lol!

Mind you 1.25% proves my point even more!
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    I am bookmarking this for further use... :+1:
  • Duchy82
    Options
    Nicely done.

Thanks! :) I'm seeing so many posts of people setting unrealistic time goals for large quantities of weight lately I felt it needed saying.
  • Duchy82
    Options
    Just bumping this, I'm seeing too many posts of low cal deficits and newbies wanting to lose weight fast.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I lost mine pretty fast, 110lbs the first year. It was likely too fast, I ended up injured a couple of times (previous injuries aggravated). If I had to do it again I'd have slowed down a bit. But it is what it is. I am lucky that I'm tall, even at a large deficit I was still able to eat 1600-1800 calories a day and lose up to 1.5-2lbs per week.
  • Duchy82
    Options
    I lost mine pretty fast, 110lbs the first year. It was likely too fast, I ended up injured a couple of times (previous injuries aggravated). If I had to do it again I'd have slowed down a bit. But it is what it is. I am lucky that I'm tall, even at a large deficit I was still able to eat 1600-1800 calories a day and lose up to 1.5-2lbs per week.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing isn't it?

Btw jealous of those calories 1850 kcal is my current maintenance if I'm sedentary but trying to lose the last few at the moment, back in deficit this year after maintaining last year.
  • ProfessorPupil
    ProfessorPupil Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I lost 93 lbs in 6 months and it was a HUGE mistake. What I learned from that mistake was valuable as heck, but yeah, anyone thinking about losing rapidly - don't do it!
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options

Hindsight is a wonderful thing isn't it?

Btw jealous of those calories 1850 kcal is my current maintenance if I'm sedentary but trying to lose the last few at the moment, back in deficit this year after maintaining last year.

Agreed, hindsight is always 20/20. I don't think it was so much the huge deficit as it was the constant exercise. I was going at it 7 days a week non stop for six months or more before I managed to injure myself. Had I dropped to even 1.5lbs/wk or given myself a rest day each week I probably would not have injured my back twice. My normal maintenance is somewhere around 2100, current it's about 2700-3000 with exercise. But I hit it hard 5 days a week still to keep those numbers. I've learned to take rest days the hard way.
  • Duchy82
    Options
    What is the rush? You most likely didn't gain the weight fast so prepare for the shock horror......

You are not going to lose it fast and be successful.

No one on the forum is going to advise you that you can safely lose more than 2lbs a week. Because unless you are morbidly obese you can't. It is quite simple: an unhealthy calorie deficit leaves you open to nutritional deficiency, this in turn increases the risk of brittle nails, bad skin, losing your hair.

The body will metabolise more muscle when you lose weight fast, which means you will probably look, I hate this term but it seems appropriate, skinny fat. I bet that vision you have of yourself is all toned with taught skin right? Forget that it won't happen if you lose too fast.

Worse losing your period as a woman, this is your first warning that the body is shutting down non- essential systems in a bid to preserve itself.

Then there is the risk of osteoporosis or brittle bones as the body requires more calcium then your ingesting for other things besides bones. It will take from the bones to use elsewhere. And/or any bone repair (the body renews itself constantly) will be done with less calcium available therefore less bone strength.

You leave yourself open to anaemia: iron deficiency affects the blood cells making you out of breath, dizzy and exhausted so that exercise routine goes out of the window fast. Pernicious anaemia or B12 deficiency again makes you exhausted and fuzzy brained. You need B12 for good neurological function and lack of B12 will make it harder to think clearly, makes you forgetful and the sheer exhaustion again will make that exercise routine dissappear as you prefer sleep over anything else.

I can probably think of more but let's stop there...

If you lose 2- 1lb a week that is 104- 52lbs in a year, really what is a year out of your life? On average we live 80 years (give or take dependent on being male/female) so that one year is 8% (edit: 1.25% not 8% math and me not agreeing this morning )of your life. In the grand scheme of things that is nothing. You will be happier because you haven't made this too hard, it will be more likely you stick to it for the same reason which in turn means that it will be easier to maintain the loss in the longterm. Maintenance is more important right?

And hair loss.

Yep hair loss is another.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Well said! Bravo!!
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    In general, I agree but trying to apply hard and fast rules to everyone just doesn't work. I mean a 5'0" tall 60 year old woman and 6'4" 25 year old man working oilfield or construction are as different as night and day. There is also a difference between maintaining a large deficit at a high body fat and eating lots of lean meats, fruits, veggies, etc. and doing it at a low body fat eating empty calories. For some, more than 2 pounds a week is fine for a while but for others, 2 pounds a week is way too aggressive. I actually lost a lot faster at first but I was eating really well and more than most here. I also took vitamins just insurance. I just happened to be a very active and very obese man with a TDEE close to 5000 calories. I also played attention and reduced my deficit as I lost and put a lot of time in the weight room. I am now transitioning to maintainence and definitely not skinny fat.

All that said, I do think that a lot of people have unrealistic expectations and get in too big of a hurry and crash and burn, end up skinny fat, or even damage their health because of it. Long term success isn't so much about rate of loss but rather what kind of changes you make to achieve that loss and how sustainable they are. It has to be about developing good long term habits that you can continue for a lifetime. I could have lost at the approveded rate eating 4000 calories a day but what would that do to teach me about maintaining a body weight nearly half of where I started?
  • Duchy82
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Chadxx wrote: »
    In general, I agree but trying to apply hard and fast rules to everyone just doesn't work. I mean a 5'0" tall 60 year old woman and 6'4" 25 year old man working oilfield or construction are as different as night and day. There is also a difference between maintaining a large deficit at a high body fat and eating lots of lean meats, fruits, veggies, etc. and doing it at a low body fat eating empty calories. For some, more than 2 pounds a week is fine for a while but for others, 2 pounds a week is way too aggressive. I actually lost a lot faster at first but I was eating really well and more than most here. I also took vitamins just insurance. I just happened to be a very active and very obese man with a TDEE close to 5000 calories. I also played attention and reduced my deficit as I lost and put a lot of time in the weight room. I am now transitioning to maintainence and definitely not skinny fat.

It's why I actually stated unless you are morbidly obese it isn't safe to lose more than 2lbs a week, advice is not more than 1% of body weight a week therefore someone at 300lb would be safe to lose 3lb a week etc. There is only so much fat a body can metabolise in a day though, it will go for easier sources such as lean body mass instead if you are not careful.

All that said, I do think that a lot of people have unrealistic expectations and get in too big of a hurry and crash and burn, end up skinny fat, or even damage their health because of it. Long term success isn't so much about rate of loss but rather what kind of changes you make to achieve that loss and how sustainable they are. It has to be about developing good long term habits that you can continue for a lifetime. I could have lost at the approveded rate eating 4000 calories a day but what would that do to teach me about maintaining a body weight nearly half of where I started?

Surely with loss your calorie goal went down which means that if you lose your weight slowly you gradually learn how to eat less to maintain your smaller you, if you lose fast you are less likely to stick to those behaviors.

Someone said on the forum once: the person why eat the most and still loses weight wins. I think that is a good way to attempt losing, I mean food is around us all the time and tightly linked to social occasions so it's better to be able to join in and not make this a hard and painful process surely

Edited to bold a part of my response to make it stand out.
  • SadDolt
    SadDolt Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I lost 93 lbs in 6 months and it was a HUGE mistake. What I learned from that mistake was valuable as heck, but yeah, anyone thinking about losing rapidly - don't do it!

what happened